Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sauce
    Removed
    • Jun 24, 2007

My advice with all movies from now on is to just watch them and read the hype and reviews and all that after. I have done this for at least 20 years now and it's a lotta fun!

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

>It almost feels like all promo stuff for this movie is trying to make people hate it from the start

Nah; just us oldsters. All the promos, posters and probably the film itself conform to the current standards. That's the big reason I'm not too i9nterested. I know how these things are planned out, so I can guess how they play out; and I don't want to see something that I already know what's going to happen.

Don C.

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

If any of that proves to be true, this film will T_A_N_K. That is an awful plot twist. Especially given the love the original enjoys. I thought the whole idea of forging this new "reality" was to go in different directions, not just rehash and rewrite old stories. In a universe as vast as Star Trek are there no other stories to be told here?

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

I think Khan has been played out.

He turned into Star Trek's very own Boba Fett for me .......... Meaning I hate him because everybody else loves him.

Comment

• ctc
            Fear the monkeybat!
            • Aug 16, 2001

>Especially given the love the original enjoys.

Although I think enough time has passed that significant numbers of a new audience would not have experienced the original, or it's cognitively distant enough they don't really care. For the porducers that's what makes this sort of thing so appealing: you can appropriate the names and glom some recognition from them, but there's enough distance that you can tweak them into the new standards without anyone crying shennanegains.

>I thought the whole idea of forging this new "reality" was to go in different directions, not just rehash and rewrite old stories.

If that was the case we wouldn't be seeing the early adventures of Kirk and Spock.

>In a universe as vast as Star Trek are there no other stories to be told here?

That's MY big peeve right there! I don't want to see the same stuff over and over, slightly tweaked so's all the stuff that made it original the first time is sucked out and it now bleeds into everything else! I'd LOVE a Trek that DIDN'T feature a ship named "Enterprise." I'd love to see a series without any Klingons at all too.

But like I said; that's not going to happen. "Voyager" kinda meandered ratings-wise, so the execs are leary of doing anything as new and unconnected to the old names. I think a lot of the fans are just as bad and ultimately crave more of the same.

Don C.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by ctc
              All the promos, posters and probably the film itself conform to the current standards.

Don C.

True, this is definitely 21st century ST crafted for today's youthful audiences... and for me it lacks a lot of what made the original so great.

The newest character poster of McCoy certainly seems pretty far removed from the essence of the character's original incarnation.

The Sulu one is perhaps not such a drastic departure.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by nayrbgo
                My advice with all movies from now on is to just watch them and read the hype and reviews and all that after. I have done this for at least 20 years now and it's a lotta fun!
                With me, regarding the Star Trek reboot. it would've been a waste of my time any way you sliced it. I didn't want to see it before the hype, then after reading how great it was from so many people, I decided to buy into the hype. And if I didn't buy into it, I wouldn't have even given it a chance. But then I regretted seeing it anyway.

Then there was Live Free Or Die Hard... I did exactly as you described (absolutely no pre-viewing of the film reading online)... and then I hated it when I saw it.

There are some movies that just can't win with me. And I imagine it's that way with most people.
                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

>newest character poster of McCoy certainly seems pretty far removed from the essence of the character's original incarnation

...but once he saves Tron from Clu everything'll be alright....

>The Sulu one is perhaps not such a drastic departure

Yeah. I don't have to guess what series he's from.

I think part of the problem of doing prequels, even reboot ones is that there's a temptation to draw from versions of the franchaise that occured later on in the timeline. (McCoy's outfit looks very Voyager to me.)

That; and the weird need to introduce Klingons earlier and earlier into Starfleet's history.... Thank you, "Enterprise."

Don C.

Comment

• johnmiic
                    Adrift
                    • Sep 6, 2002

That Sulu promo pic could have been held over from the first film. There's nothing unique about it.

When I see that McCoy pic I get the impression he's on the Aqua-shuttle from Animated Trek.

Comment

• Apositive
                      Career Member
                      • Apr 3, 2011

Khan sure went a long way from being a Northern Indian Sikh to ..............Cumberbatch? A GIANT ***!

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

We really kick a movie to death these days don't we?
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

I dont want to beat on it, it's just these trailers seem to purposely try to alienate me.

In a way I should be thankful because they're saying - save your money and dont go

Comment

• mego73
                            Printed paperboard Tiger
                            • Aug 1, 2003

I don't know if I believe the spoilers here. They sound like a partial or total goof. I heard another version of spoilers where the villian is neither Khan or Gary Mitchell.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                              We really kick a movie to death these days don't we?
                              Yeah, next to impossible to please folks nowadays, lol.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
                                I dont want to beat on it, it's just these trailers seem to purposely try to alienate me.

In a way I should be thankful because they're saying - save your money and dont go
                                Everything alienates you...besides...the last time you went to the movie theater...Charlie Chaplin was in his prime...so moot point all around from you, lol.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎