Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

Looking forward to the blu ray.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• acrovader
      Career Member
      • Jan 19, 2011

I've soured on the movie a bit. It's well-paced, certainly a lot better than the earlier Star Trek movies. But the plot is really quite lazy. The villain was pretty non memorable apart from being 'Kahn', and the revelation that he is 'Kahn' was desperate move to 'stun' the audience. There isn't much a sense of adventure, since most of the action is Earth-centered. It's like they follow the villain to the Klingon, partake in a brief skirmish with some Klingons, capture the villain, have a typical one-on-one Star Trek space craft confrontation, and head back home. And the twist at the end when they do a spin on the WOK ending is really quite cheesy. I wouldn't mind seeing it again on blu-ray, with the hopes of my opinion being changed.
      I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Klosterheim
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 23, 2013

I saw Star Trek: Into Darkness.

I liked a few parts of it.

Would have been pretty good if they did not use the Khan material.

And violate some laws of morality, Starfleet principles.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

SPOILERS BELOW!!!!!!
          SPOILERS
          SPOILERS
          SPOILERS!!!!!!!

Well, I finally saw it!
          I find it to be a pretty good movie, actually.
          Some great moments between characters, every crew members get his of her time in the spotlight.
          The first half is very good, with a nice build-up. I even accepted the Spock-Uhura relationship, they found a way to make it work.
          It's exciting and emotional, and you care about what happens.

Next is some minor stuff that I liked less.
          Little things, like the lack of color in the uniforms. Did Starfleet buy a big lot of reject Soviet uniforms down the line? That looked awful...It's Starfleet, not the Imperial Officers.

I liked the complete twist on the TWOK ending, turning it all upside down. And it worked...up to a certain point. In Wrath, the two friends saying goodbye has real emotional impact, they shared so much together. In Darkness...it's too soon. They hardly know (or like) each other, so the emotional punch doesn't work. Abrams should have know this, and I understand why fans feel violated with having a favorite Trek moment used in such a way.

The action moments are pure Star Wars. I feel that JJ never really understood what makes Trek tick (in a very specific way). This kind of "feel" doesn't go well with Trek.
          Same for the "used universe" concept, that's SW, NOT Trek. The ships have lost their grace and clean feeling (check out the Bird of Prey), which is typically Star Trek.

Abrams made a good movie...with his apparently limited understanding of what Trek is.
          I liked the Khan twist as well (it is different, not Cumberbatch with a mullet), but the actor (even though he is an excellent actor) never really felt Khan to me.

So do check out the movie, it's actually pretty good...
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎