Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can EMCE get any kind of Superhero licenses?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I had extra Zica (early version) bodies that I sold recently, Craig--the feedback has been terrific. I'm looking forward to the revised figure!
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• David Lee
      The Fix-it-up Chappie
      • Jun 10, 2002

I'm with ya Craig... We could defiantly do more together than we do trying eat each others lunch. I know I would be down for collaboration... An 8 inch (or any scale really) coalition, if you will...

Dave
      Last edited by David Lee; Apr 19, '13, 1:32 PM.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

And it has been suggested before, but... if cost is the issue, crowdsource it.

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

A David Lee and Craig combo would be awesome! Zica and Castaway combo. Oh wowzers!

Comment

• drmego
            EMCE Toys
            • Jun 15, 2001

Yes, Marvel/Disney would be who you have to talk to about the license - Universal does not own
            the rights to THOSE versions of the characters - just like MEGO was able to make their own versions
            without Universal's consent.

I would like to do more Frankensteins, Draculas, and Wolfmans with Universal, but I don't know
            how Diamond Select feels about their saleability.

Originally posted by MIB41
            Hey Paul if hypothetically you wanted to make Frankenstein, Werewolf by Night, Mummy, and Dracula based on the Marvel universe would you have to go through Walt Disney for approval or would there be multiple license holders based on the name, likeness etc? And how do you measure the market/appeal for what you make? Are they just forums like this or is there something more measured than just collected opinion? I'm just curious how one arrives at this decision to invest and move forward.
            www.drmego.com
            www.megoman.com
            www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Well, Paul, the acclaim for the monster line has been, er...universal--I hope it continues for a full rogues' gallery. I didn't know you were considering variations--is this dependant on actors' estates (for example, Carradine)?
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• JediJaida
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 14, 2008

ZICA and Castaway??? That would be a dream come true. With Craig's eye for detail, and Castaway's cool line of accessories, they could come up with all SORTS of stuff.

It's too bad they can't get together and go after something like Pirates of the Carribean, or Lord of the Rings, or The Hobbit. I can only imagine what an Elf put together by those two companies would look like. Male or female.

*Sigh*, we can only dream.
                JediJaida

Comment

• BATMAN89
                  Mego obsessed!!!
                  • Jul 20, 2010

Originally posted by David Lee
                  I'm with ya Craig... We could defiantly do more together than we do trying eat each others lunch. I know I would be down for collaboration... An 8 inch (or any scale really) coalition, if you will...

Dave
                  8 inch PLEASE!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
                  Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
                  My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• megocrazy
                    Museum Trouble Maker
                    • Feb 18, 2007

I don't know what combining the different companies would resolve. The bottom line is the cost of the license vs. the total saleability of the line. While the combined effort would highlight the strengths of the individuals, it's been proven that a well done figure does not necessarily result in marketable sales. Few would argue that Craig's figure line could have been done better than it was, yet sales were light. You need to hit hard and fast. In the non collectors realm once the line gets out of the spotlight the stuff goes to clearance.
                    It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                      Talkative Member
                      • Aug 28, 2006

I'm afraid if you want to get huge sales and bring in a larger crowd and strike while the iron is hot somebody would need the dreaded twilight license... :(
                      Although by now I'm sure it isn't chaep.
                      I don't know of anything else that had a larger fan base since 77 star wars.
                      “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• ZICA
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by megocrazy
                        I don't know what combining the different companies would resolve. The bottom line is the cost of the license vs. the total saleability of the line. While the combined effort would highlight the strengths of the individuals, it's been proven that a well done figure does not necessarily result in marketable sales. Few would argue that Craig's figure line could have been done better than it was, yet sales were light. You need to hit hard and fast. In the non collectors realm once the line gets out of the spotlight the stuff goes to clearance.
                        Well, including sharing resources such as factories and produced products (i.e. blank bodies), there's also the advantage of possibly getting a better deal on a licensed property. I'm not going to go into a long drawn out explanation as to how that would work but it is possible.

Comment

• JediJaida
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 14, 2008

TWILIGHT?????

AAAAUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! You're killing me here!!!!!

Go for the Harry Potter license instead!!!!!

Heck, go for the Wicked license!!! They're finally getting together to make the movie! Strike while the iron is hot!
                          JediJaida

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                            Career Member
                            • Nov 22, 2011

Oh, I think the mego like collector's would go for something more retro like lost in space, land of the lost, land of the giants and definately, Wonder Woman! Now that would sell!!!
                            "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• Corellian Corvette
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 27, 2004

I think it would be interesting to see Doc, Zica, and Castaway align a little bit in this space.

Once challenge is that the different licensors haven't standardized on a single body, and you get different guys spending money to tool up basically the same part. The initial investment would be spread out for one, and you won't get money spent to tool up duplication. You have countless suits, boots, etc. and CTVT, Doc and David for instance all tooled up different versions of the Klingon boot. We have two versions of the Bruce and Dick heads, etc.

The downside is you get less innovation (we all have reasons for liking different things they have to offer). And of course I'm sure each of these guys has a philosophy on exact duplicates vs. improvements, creative outlets, managing innovation, quality, etc.

Frankly I do think it would benefit the hobby somewhat to spend more efforts combining forces so the licenses get better, there is less duplication, and more time is spent on quality and bringing out more niche parts.
                              Like M.A.S.K.?
                              www.albertpenello.com/mask

Comment

• johnmiic
                                Adrift
                                • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by ZICA
                                It's unfortunate that most of the smaller companies making these new retro style figures aren't willing to work together in some capacity. The synergy that could result by combining forces would be beneficial to both companies and consumers. For an industry that's making products which are intended to be fun and bring happiness to the consumer, it's very ugly and cutthroat behind the scenes.
                                I agree with you. Also, I feel it's a contest to see who's "king of the hill". There's a popularity contest mentality to try and be #1. Different companies creating diverse products would net a wider fan base of customers.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎