Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can EMCE get any kind of Superhero licenses?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BATMAN89
    Mego obsessed!!!
    • Jul 20, 2010

Can EMCE get any kind of Superhero licenses?

Some one was posting, in the Figures Toy Co. section, that they would like a Superfriends line.
    It keeps making me think that there may be other separate DC licenses out there.
    I would love to see Paul and Joe get a superhero license!
    The deserve it, and Superfriends would be really cool!
    Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
    My Early Custom Megos
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

I'm surprised no one has done a Mego scale of Marvel's Frankenstein, Werewolf by Night, Mummy, and Dracula (based on Gene Colan's work). Lots of ideas that would be good sellers.

Comment

• Figuremod73
      That 80's guy
      • Jul 27, 2011

Doesnt virtually every character have a seperate license?

There may even be some older characters in the public domain (but still desireable as a figure) that could be made.

Comment

• BATMAN89
        Mego obsessed!!!
        • Jul 20, 2010

Idk! I'm thinking yes they do. If Batman '66, and 8" Batman figures can be licensed separately, why not Superfriends? Why not 1940's Serial Batman? Batman Beyond? Etc., etc., etc.

My Good Trader's List
        My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• BATMAN89
          Mego obsessed!!!
          • Jul 20, 2010

Originally posted by MIB41
          I'm surprised no one has done a Mego scale of Marvel's Frankenstein, Werewolf by Night, Mummy, and Dracula (based on Gene Colan's work). Lots of ideas that would be good sellers.
          That's a cool idea!

My Good Trader's List
          My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• drmego
            EMCE Toys
            • Jun 15, 2001

It's a matter of money - Warner Bros will not give a license unless you can pay
            a large $$$$$ upfront and there is no reasonable expectation that you will sell
            enough figures to make back that money.

The jury is still out on whether Figures recent spending spree on licenses will
            be a good business decision or just a fan spending his money. I know they have
            a different business model than me - making all these figures gives them
            inventory to sell on their website for years to come - and that's fine if you can
            afford to wait that long for a return on investment.

The reality is that the mego fan base is not big enough to support these licenses.
            In order for licensed megos to be profitable, you need a larger fan base like Trekies
            or comic fans to buy the product.

EMCE is working on some licenses (that I can't discuss) but they are geared to a
            younger audience outside of the museum members.
            www.drmego.com
            www.megoman.com
            www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• drmego
              EMCE Toys
              • Jun 15, 2001

Diamond Select put out a Marvel Tomb of Dracula statue a few years back - it was very cool.

www.drmego.com
              www.megoman.com
              www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                Career Member
                • Nov 22, 2011

Originally posted by drmego
                It's a matter of money - Warner Bros will not give a license unless you can pay
                a large $$$$$ upfront and there is no reasonable expectation that you will sell
                enough figures to make back that money.

The jury is still out on whether Figures recent spending spree on licenses will
                be a good business decision or just a fan spending his money. I know they have
                a different business model than me - making all these figures gives them
                inventory to sell on their website for years to come - and that's fine if you can
                afford to wait that long for a return on investment.

The reality is that the mego fan base is not big enough to support these licenses.
                In order for licensed megos to be profitable, you need a larger fan base like Trekies
                or comic fans to buy the product.

EMCE is working on some licenses (that I can't discuss) but they are geared to a
                younger audience outside of the museum members.
                Doc's right. After this big wave of "mego like figures" being released this year we will know just how profitable these investments are. There are a great deal of variables the investors have to take into account. Quality of the figures, Popularity of the figures being produced, Priceing, Marketing. All these has to be factored in. Unfortunately, I feel the 66 Batman is the "most" profitable so we missed the boat on that but, I can tell you, they spend a pretty penny for that license, I'm sure.
                There are still some very marketable licenses out there. If Married with children, Brady Bunch and Happy Days can be profitable "not to knock those in any way" then I'm sure the other figure licenses would be a lucrative investment to be sure.
                "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by drmego
                  Diamond Select put out a Marvel Tomb of Dracula statue a few years back - it was very cool.
                  Hey Paul if hypothetically you wanted to make Frankenstein, Werewolf by Night, Mummy, and Dracula based on the Marvel universe would you have to go through Walt Disney for approval or would there be multiple license holders based on the name, likeness etc? And how do you measure the market/appeal for what you make? Are they just forums like this or is there something more measured than just collected opinion? I'm just curious how one arrives at this decision to invest and move forward.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

Even if EMCE had the money, getting a SuperFriends license, while another company is putting out two other Batman lines in the same scale seems like a recipe for disaster to me. The market can only hold so many Batman figures in the 8 inch scale. Granted SuperFriends has a lot of other good characters to pull from, but you get the idea. Right now I'd think doing something the complete opposite of superheroes would be the wisest move.

That or get the Spider-Man license, lol.

Comment

• ZICA
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 7, 2006

It's unfortunate that most of the smaller companies making these new retro style figures aren't willing to work together in some capacity. The synergy that could result by combining forces would be beneficial to both companies and consumers. For an industry that's making products which are intended to be fun and bring happiness to the consumer, it's very ugly and cutthroat behind the scenes.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                        Persistent Member
                        • Apr 18, 2006

I agree with what Zica posted, just imagine the various companies here pooling their resources and putting together a product combining the strengths of each companies product. Could be the best figures ever produced, in this size at least.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

I get that sense too Craig. And I will NEVER understand why your Buck Rogers line was not a HUGE hit. The detail, accessories, and packaging remain the highest quality of any of the new age Megos. I think the soft sales demonstrates just how fickle and unpredictable this market is. That's why I'm puzzled how Figures Inc. can pull off such a huge production of figures without enormous risk attached to it. How much money could they have truly made off that KISS license? Doesn't make sense to me. But with your track record of quality in mind, I'm anxious to see what you have on deck. With those new bodies, you have once again raised the bar.

Comment

• Byrnes
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 19, 2011

The Buck Rogers figs from ZICA got me collecting 8" figures. I hate to say it, but I bought these only after the initial run was over when BBTS had them on sale and there was maybe still a chance for more figures. I didn't really know about them to much but since I didn't collect 8" figures I didn't want to spend full price but I loved Buck Rogers and the 2 figures were great. After getting them in hand and seeing the quality I would have gladly spent the full price to support the line now that I'm into 8" figures. Had I know, what I know now. Sorry Craig.
                            WWW.OG13.com - GI Joe, Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Star Trek, toys and more

Comment

• ZICA
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 7, 2006

I get that sense too Craig. And I will NEVER understand why your Buck Rogers line was not a HUGE hit. The detail, accessories, and packaging remain the highest quality of any of the new age Megos. I think the soft sales demonstrates just how fickle and unpredictable this market is. That's why I'm puzzled how Figures Inc. can pull off such a huge production of figures without enormous risk attached to it. How much money could they have truly made off that KISS license? Doesn't make sense to me. But with your track record of quality in mind, I'm anxious to see what you have on deck. With those new bodies, you have once again raised the bar.
                              Originally posted by Byrnes
                              The Buck Rogers figs from ZICA got me collecting 8" figures. I hate to say it, but I bought these only after the initial run was over when BBTS had them on sale and there was maybe still a chance for more figures. I didn't really know about them to much but since I didn't collect 8" figures I didn't want to spend full price but I loved Buck Rogers and the 2 figures were great. After getting them in hand and seeing the quality I would have gladly spent the full price to support the line now that I'm into 8" figures. Had I know, what I know now. Sorry Craig.
                              Thanks guys! Even though the Buck Rogers line wasn't a financial success for me, it was definitely a creative one.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎