X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BATMAN89
    Mego obsessed!!!
    • Jul 20, 2010

Originally posted by MEGOMAN
    This is pretty hard to believe that Dr. MEGO is not making these. This does not make any sense at all. How did he get passed over? There's something wrong here!!!
    That's what I thought right from the start!
    Originally posted by LadyZod
    I really want to hear from the Doc on this.
    Me too!
    Originally posted by HumanWolfman
    I am still sad the Dr Mego was not at the helm. His love for Mego is unmatched. In fact, I will go as far as to say Dr Mego has done more for mego than mego has!
    AMEN!
    Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
    My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• megocrazy
      Museum Trouble Maker
      • Feb 18, 2007

Wow. I can't believe that CTVT has the coin to pick up a license like this. And I'm amazed that they were able to pick up the DC license, blown away if they get the Marvel one too. They have never moved enough figures to justify the amount of the licenses. There's no way they profit from a financial layout like this without major national distribution. These figures will be $30+ easily and that's as long as they make quantities well into the 5 figure range on each one. I just can't see them pulling it off and making money. If these got into a store like Walmart and had defect issues like their original figures did, and got returned in mass amounts, CTVT would be done.

Seeing that Mattel displayed figures at TF why would they allow another company, much less one with a questionable track record on quality to produce, and compete, with their own product. Makes no sense. Not that Mattel makes much sense any way. I don't see any way they get into a major supplier, and no way they sell enough of these with out it. We'll see if they pull off the quality issues. That's a different story entirely. Guess we'll see. Looks like their breaking the bank and pushing all their chips in on this hand. We'll see if it holds up.
      It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• megowgsh
        Customego HoF Curator
        • Nov 19, 2003

Personally, I couldn't care less about exact replicas. I have all original Megos anyway.

What made the Mattel Retros so special to me was the extension of the line. Being able to have a factory made Mego-like Lex Luthor stand next to my Superman and a factory made Mego-like Cheetah along side my Wonder Woman, that was stuff I only dreamed of for years.

Now, I know to make a new "Mego" line work you have to include the old staples Superman, Batman, etc., whether exact replicas or re-tooled, but without a line extension this line is worthless to me other than for custom fodder.

I am concerned that without Doc Mego's vision coupled with CTVT quality issues this line will ultimately fail.

My 2 cents.

Peace, Love and Megos,

Austin
        Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by megowgsh
          Personally, I couldn't care less about exact replicas. I have all original Megos anyway.

What made the Mattel Retros so special to me was the extension of the line. Being able to have a factory made Mego-like Lex Luthor stand next to my Superman and a factory made Mego-like Cheetah along side my Wonder Woman, that was stuff I only dreamed of for years.

Now, I know to make a new "Mego" line work you have to include the old staples Superman, Batman, etc., whether exact replicas or re-tooled, but without a line extension this line is worthless to me other than for custom fodder.
          Yeah I share that view. I already have nice originals, bought them back when they could be had for $25.

The idea of new characters was Retro Action's charm to me as well, I begrudgingly bought existing characters to be supportive.

Honestly, when I first read this news, I consider resigning from the Museum. No offense to Figures or what they do, it's not about them.

The retro action line made my job as a moderator here a real chore and I'm just not looking forward to daily battles and passive aggressive daily thread crapping over price point, quality and every nit that can be picked about something that in all honestly, is just a fun little luxury in our lives.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• LadyZod
            Superman's Gal Pal
            • Jan 27, 2007

What I find interesting is, I seem to recall there being an issue with sculpts during the Retro Action debacle... that Mattel or DC didn't want to use the original Mego head sculpts.

What happened? Is this truly legit? Is it the fact that DC's Powers That Be that were around during the planning stages of the Retro Action line are no longer in charge and the new head decided, oh well... let's jump on this nostalgia kick with the 66 license, and hit up the old style Megos?

I'm assuming, like everyone else, that the fact that it's BATMAN figures, and not DC figures... (no mention of Superman or any other characters) there HAS to be a correlation with the 66 license.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
            Check out my art:
            Art Portfolio@Redbubble
            Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• Brown Bear
              Still Old School
              • Feb 14, 2008

Good point.....I wonder if CTVT would take a stab at someone like Flash but with a 100% mego approach.
              Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Mattel has a policy of not reissuing a sculptor's work that they can't identify.

Figures doesn't have that policy, neither did Diamond, I don't think it's a major issue.

As for correlation to the '66 license, I bet that's a separate entity. I would have been really excited by that.

Figures negotiated the Bat characters the same way Round 2 did for Captain Action, it's a realm in which their master license holder has no interest and as long as you bring a cheque, it's attainable.

As for fears of quality, having worked with Warners in the past on Superhero merch, they're pretty thorough.

Comment

• LadyZod
                  Superman's Gal Pal
                  • Jan 27, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy

Honestly, when I first read this news, I consider resigning from the Museum. No offense to Figures or what they do, it's not about them.

The retro action line made my job as a moderator here a real chore and I'm just not looking forward to daily battles and passive aggressive daily thread crapping over price point, quality and every nit that can be picked about something that in all honestly, is just a fun little luxury in our lives.
                  Fanboys (and girls) will complain. It's the nature of the beast. We complain if it's sunny, we complain if it's rainy. It's what we do.

For my part, I promise to keep my grumbling at a low roar... and my optimism at a higher volume.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                  Check out my art:
                  Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                  Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• Figuremod73
                    That 80's guy
                    • Jul 27, 2011

Looking at the other side of it though, parts can sometimes be a real hassle to find. A new Mego collector can sometimes go months looking for certain parts and if they cant find them they become discouraged and lose interest in the hobby altogether. I bet theres more than a few Jokers and Riddlers that could benefit from readily available parts and clothing.

I hope it doesnt end with just Batman characters and there is an extension past characters that have already been created.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                      On the bright side, so far the comments have been really mild. Hopefully this shows how the museum has matured, mellowed and weeded out the nit pickers, trolls, pot stirrers and nerd ragers.

We've been really spoiled with a ton of great Mego style toys the last few years and I find it very difficult to nit pick companies that have been going out of their way to cater to us.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Fanboys (and girls) will complain. It's the nature of the beast. We complain if it's sunny, we complain if it's rainy. It's what we do.
                        Yeah, it wore thin I guess. We used to be strictly a retro site, so there wasn't much grumbling because well, there was nobody to listen.

When the tide of new offerings came out, I never guessed that some would view EMCE, Mattel, bifbangpow! or Figures as the enemy but some folks treat them as such. It's not insulin, so it just comes off as a little pathetic after a while. Of course, I'm an indentured servant to all of these companies (even though i pay for my stuff like everyone else) or so we've been accused.

Comment

• boss
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 18, 2003

Just make a Conan. That's the only WGSH I don't have. ;-)
                          Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by boss
                            Just make a Conan. That's the only WGSH I don't have. ;-)
                            Even if they do get to Marvel, unfortunately Marvel no longer has the Conan license...so Conan (and I'm guessing Tarzan too) could be skipped...
                            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Figuremod73
                              That 80's guy
                              • Jul 27, 2011

Maybe they could remake the Conan head and call it something eles

Comment

• Boywonder0
                                Persistent Member
                                • Dec 29, 2007

For my part, I promise to keep my grumbling at a low roar... and my optimism at a higher volume.
                                What LadyZ said!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎