Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

It was a nice throwback to the old series. Monster on a ship,killing people off one by one.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

I loved this episode, from start to finish.
      The Ice Warriors are back, what more can you ask for?
      The Ice Warrior looked great, fantastic costume, and a nice twist halfway through the episode concerning his armor!

I'm also especially glad they didn't say "it's the last of his kind" and kill him off, so we could have more Ice Warrior fun later on. Personally, I'd like to see Ice Warriors vs Cybermen. They're similar, but still different enough to give us a nice contrast. Ice Warriors have more personality, they're individuals, and they used that well in this story.

I've always liked submarine stories (conflict in a confined space), and it all worked well, it was exciting to watch. Again, it all looked great (submarine effects, lighting), it looked like motion picture quality.

It's a well-written story, by Mark Gatiss. He's a SciFi and horror fan himself, a good actor (Sherlock and Torchwood, for example), and has made some of the best documentaries on classic and modern horror, presented with knowledge and affection. You should check those out.

And let's not forget David Warner in a fun role, with some nice references to the 80s. I wish that man got a lot more work, he's a joy to watch.
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• jds1911a1
        Alan Scott is the best GL
        • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by Mikey
        I liked it

They treated the Ice Warrior with respect.

No over thought confusing plotlines either

Good one
        that's because it was written by Mark Gatiss, not moffat, he is a very good writer who has done work for big finish. A nice tribute to the Ice warriors and he included he history beyond the tv appearances. gragt take on the ice warrior armor which kept the feel of the classics (unlike the cybermen or the silurians in the new show

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

This episode makes me wanna see more Ice Warriors - especially the alternate ones ....

I haven't been so pleased with a classic redesigned monster since they first reintroduced to Daleks in 2005's Dalek.

It also was so nice seeing David Warner --- I thought he retired from acting

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Actually the new Moffat era Cyberman look way more in tune with the originals.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey
              This episode makes me wanna see more Ice Warriors - especially the alternate ones ....

I haven't been so pleased with a classic redesigned monster since they first reintroduced to Daleks in 2005's Dalek.
              Yeah, it's a nice update. While I do like the new Silurians, I've always felt it was a big leap from the old concept, making them so much more human. Almost like they're not Silurians anymore.
              The Ice Warriors were handled just right.

And the new concept of their armor really makes sense, even when looking back at the old stories. They added to it, without going against established lore.
              Last edited by Gorn Captain; Apr 14, '13, 1:41 PM.
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

>the new Moffat era Cyberman look way more in tune with the originals

The "guy in ski mask" ones? I dunno.... maybe. I think the new Cybermen LOOK different from the others, but they're conceptually in line, and they look neat. (Plus; they're from another dimension so there's some leeway.) I'd love to see them meet some of the older ones.

>While I do like the new Silurians, I've always felt it was a big leap from the old concept

Yeah.... although you could maybe argue that the old ones were all wearing helmets. The old costumes were kind of rigid and could have been artificial armour. They fleshed them out a bit too; which was nice. The Silurians are suppsed to be a fully realized society; not neccessarily bad guys, but not neccessarily our bestest friends either. In THAT regard I thought they did a good job on them. Kinda like the Ice Warriors in this one. A good plan considering....

>I'm also especially glad they didn't say "it's the last of his kind"

.... they couldn't really do that "last of his kind" bit considering how important the Ice Warriors are in the future. Don't we go to war with them in a 100 years or so; and then a couple hundred later they're part of the galactic coalition?

I really liked this episode. It's nice to see something a little less cosmic and a little more visceral for a change. The only thing that kind bugged me.... and it was easy to shrug off.... was how much room there was in that sub. And the idea that Duran Duran might have saved the world. *shudder*

Don C.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                  Invincible Ironing Man
                  • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by ctc
                  > And the idea that Duran Duran might have saved the world. *shudder*

Don C.
                  I loved it that Warner couldn't care less about the future of the human race, but wanted to know if Ultravox split up or not. In the next episode, The Doctor should save Ultravox from extinction!

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Just rewatched the original Ice Warrior's last night.

I can't believe how good this story is

It really neads an official DVD release (with added animation to fill in the gaps)

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Gorn Captain

And let's not forget David Warner in a fun role, with some nice references to the 80s. I wish that man got a lot more work, he's a joy to watch.
                      He does more voice over work.

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

This week's episode was ok -- the haunted house one.

Loved the blue crystal from Metebelis part

Wish Smith would have said from the FAMOUS blue planet

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, it was great that Metebelis 3 was mentioned, and that the Doctor used one of the blue crystals.

Those references to the classic DW episodes are cool, and I wish there were more of them.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                            Invincible Ironing Man
                            • Feb 28, 2008

I really liked this one, too.
                            It all worked well. Smith was in great form, making it fun to watch. It was pretty scary at times (time to hide behind the sofa), and the twist at the end was a nice idea.
                            Loved the crystal and the Tardis bell, that takes you back to vintage episodes.

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

Am I crazy ? .... The girl kept reminding me of a young Talia Shire from Rocky

Comment

• jwyblejr
                                galactic yo-yo
                                • Apr 6, 2006

I liked the line about The Doctor having ice in his heart. I'm thinking to myself "which one?"

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎