X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Where do Big Jim collectors congregate?

I've been collecting Big Jim for about two years and enjoying it. I'm just cherry-picking items for now & don't feel as compulsive about it as I do Mego lol.

Most of my items are from evilbay, which I dislike, but what can one do?

How do BJ fans/collectors chat/deal/network?

I've found just one forum, Big Jim PACK, and it has only a few members & has been inactive since 2010. I guess I'm used to the bustle of the Museum!

Any advice/references are appreciated!
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 24, '13, 11:17 AM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

From my experiences, learn to speak Italian.

I was heavy into P.A.C.K stuff around 2004, it was my core focus (every ten or so years I get obessed) and I felt like I just missed the party. Most forums were inactive and the "super collectors" were kind of stand offish when I tried to start a forum (one guy was really super duper rude to me). I felt sad, I want every toy line to have a forum like here.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Lol yes, I noticed the Italian site. Killer collection.

I like the spy series, which makes European contacts mandatory, I suppose.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

It's funny, I was the member of one of those sites. The guys were really sweet to me and tolerated the language barrier.

They warned me about "The other forum" and how the guy who ran it was a bad egg, it was oddly familiar....
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Well, I've made the mistake of finding a MIB Prof. Obb cheaply, and now I'm hooked.

Otherwise, I was sticking with the domestic adventure stuff.

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
            Career Member
            • Jul 25, 2010

I collect Big Jim. Like you, i'm not as into the line as i am Mego or GI Joe but i do pick up the occasional piece. Recently bought a nice Big Jim Camper. Still have my Big Jim and the Kung-Foo Studio from childhood. I've looked for online reference sites for Big Jim and have come up with the Italian sites too. If you ever do find an active forum for Big Jim, let me know. In the mean time, we can just talk about him here. I suppose it's as good a place as any .
            Vintage Toy Rescue
            1614-B N State Hwy 161
            Grand Prairie, TX 75050
            (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• Falstaff13
              Persistent Member
              • May 28, 2008

Anyone have any info on the Big Jim Buffalo Bill figure? Rarity? Cost?
              Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
              Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Bill, I agree, chatting here is fine--and fun.

Many here know that I loooove playsets, I have as many playsets as BJ figs lol.

I have complete Karate Studio, Safari Hut, Jungle Truck, Camper, and Sky Commander Jet. I love the studio's details! I wish Mattel had re-purposed the Barbie Dream Boat for Jim, that would have been awesome, it's a great play environment. The Safai Hut is pretty slick-- a Sears exclusive that is both a carry-case & playset.

Figure-wise, I have boxed Karate Jim, Big Josh, Olympic Jack, Prof. OBB, & loose complete Jeff.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                  OH JES!!
                  • Jul 21, 2005

I guess you can make this thread an official Big Jim thread since it's impossible to find a forum to talk about him. I currently only have three figures 2 Big Jims and Dr.Steel a fav of mine.

I haven't had the chance to get into re-buying for fear that i will obsess over getting figures....lol
                  But Growing up he was my second favorite line and I had the camper and the Wolf Pack...those Kirby boxes were amazing.....

Comment

• Megotu
                    jerk
                    • Dec 16, 2001

I can't imagine anyone would have an objection to building a dedicated Big Jim section here in Other Toys...
                    sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

When I started restoring my Big Jim collection about 15 years ago, I was pretty amazed by the history of it that I NEVER knew existed. I always assumed, the line died out completely after the mid to late 70's. I had no idea it flourished as well as it did overseas with a wide variety of characters. To this day I don't know the exact period when it actually came to an end. There seem to be such a huge catalog of characters overseas, it's surprising to me that Mattel didn't at least keep that body going in one form or another. I know it even had a few spin offs in the 70's. I have the Tarzan and gorilla set they made which is essentially Big Jeff with Black hair on a Olympic Jim body for the darker skin. They also did Grizzly Adams and Nakoma characters on that body as well.

I was fortunate when I started recollecting Jims back in the late 90's and 2000's. You could get alot of them for a song still boxed. And I did. So I got both editions of Big Jim in the oddly shaped box with the huge back side, as well as the traditional version that has the painted depiction on the front side. Did that with Big Josh, Big Jeff, and Big Jack. I also picked up a nice first edition box of Dr. Steel, although it has a tear on the graphic in front. I scored a nice Zorak boxed as well. But my coolest find was a Olympic Big Jim with all the contents still in the box and I found that right here in the marketplace a few years back. Fantastic price too. But that was about the end of my figure scores. Other figures from my childhood had survive like Torpedo Fist. I would like to find him his original box. But at this stage, they have gotten pricey enough that I wouldn't mind getting some repro boxes now to finish that out. But I've never seen anyone who makes them as well as the Mego boxes. Plus their a little bigger so they have to be made a little more sturdy to hold these figures.

I've got the Camper boxed and quite a few of the outfit sets. I think my favorite in that lot is the baseball/catcher set. I retained the Beast from my childhood, but it has certainly seen better days. They occasionally have a good sell for the Beast in auctions. I also have a carrying case for the early figures. Outside of Dr. Steel and Torpedo Fist, I don't have any of the other Pack figures. Wish I had gotten them when they were cheap. But my basic love is for the those original figures. I enjoy looking at them in their boxes and remember the great times I had , because they were most definitely an outdoor figure to be played with. Great memories.

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
                        Career Member
                        • Jul 25, 2010

Vintage Toy Rescue
                        1614-B N State Hwy 161
                        Grand Prairie, TX 75050
                        (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

^That's great! My fish is green, not blue...

Tom, I think the line ended around 1986 with the space/sci-fi series. I often refer to Tomart's AFD #55-56 as a guide. I only have two outfit sets: Safari Hunter and the very detailed, beautiful Scuba set. Like you, I did find an early carry-case.

I never had any BJ figs as a kid--I recall coveting Steel & Zorak, though, & thinking Torpedo Fist looked really cool.

Megotu, I like your idea of a place here for Big Jim...
                          Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 26, '13, 5:04 PM.

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

I think a place just for Big Jims would be awesome. There is so much information to be discussed and gathered from various sources. It would be nice to have a "go-to" place to share all of that.

Comment

• megoat
                              A Therefore Experience
                              • Jun 10, 2003

I'd love to collect Big Jim, but unfortunately I'm only interested in PACK items and the prices for nice complete examples are a bit more than I want to spend.....the cheaper pre PACK stuff is of no interest to me....

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎