X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 71roadrunner340
    Museum Patron
    • Dec 29, 2011

My first custom - circa 1980 or so

This guy has been packed away for some time, I forgot about him. I made this around 1980 or so:
    custom1.jpg

I had picked up a beater batman at a flea market, just the figure and suit. I use Plasti-Dip to make the gloves and boots (if you don't know what that is, it is a liquid vinyl/rubber material commonly used to put a rubber/vinyl coating on hand tools) I use pieces of a clear report cover to make the glove "wings". The belt is a folded over yellow cloth strip, with a drawn on buckle, and the "canisters" on the belt were cut from a yellow piece of plastic. The cape is cut from an old shirt. I drew the bat emblem on the chest with a marker, and used the marker to color the cowl black. It seems to have faded from the cowl quite a bit, guess I need to break out the Sharpie Not much compared to customs now days, but O thought it was cool at the time. I still think it is sort of cool, which is good, because the Plasti-Dip is permanent
    Just thought I would share this prehistoric custom with the forum.
    Ken
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

Ken,
    I like it!

Plasti-Dip is cool stuff!
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Relic
      Banned
      • Jun 24, 2012

A Batman from when cell phones, I Pods, and the inter net were not a reality yet. Love it

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
        Time to feed the cat
        • Dec 30, 2007

Batman looks cool, great idea on the belt. Glad you dug him out of storage for show and tell.

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

That is a great Batman custom! Especially since there were no parts stores around like Doc Mego and CTVT. How old were you when you did this?
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Jase25
            MarshallMadeCollectibles
            • Jan 8, 2009

Love this because I remember my first custom was also a Mego I think I was 8 or 9. I made him out of a Mego Bo Duke..with Colored electrical tape from my dad's toolbox and pieces of an old vinyl window shade. I made up a character Vibrant Man...mostly red and white...God awful...but I thought he was pretty Damn cool. Would be awesome to come across him in a box somewhere.
            Thanks ~ Jase

http://stores.ebay.com/Marshall-Made...ctibles?_rdc=1

Comment

• 71roadrunner340
              Museum Patron
              • Dec 29, 2011

Originally posted by HardyGirl
              That is a great Batman custom! Especially since there were no parts stores around like Doc Mego and CTVT. How old were you when you did this?
              I would have been 18 in 1980, so about that age. Thanks for all the comments everyone
              Ken

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎