Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shellhead
    museum rustpot
    • Mar 1, 2007

With those giant heads, they look like brats dolls.....meh.
    Chris

Keepin' it Mego-ey !

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Seems kind of weird that they wouldn't keep mining some nostalgia there. Given the format, it seems a given to do more from the past. I'm not even aware of Monster or Sonic Boom.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
        Seems kind of weird that they wouldn't keep mining some nostalgia there. Given the format, it seems a given to do more from the past. I'm not even aware of Monster or Sonic Boom.
        Little kids of KISS fans that go to current KISS concerts are essentially centered as fans around the current (Sonic Boom/Monster) band, so I imagine that's the angle they're taking with this decision.
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by huedell
          Little kids of KISS fans that go to current KISS concerts are essentially centered as fans around the current (Sonic Boom/Monster) band, so I imagine that's the angle they're taking with this decision.
          The problem is mom and dad aren't likely to shell out $300.00 for a set of 12 inch KISS figures. Even still, the kids are more of the plastic action figure generation. So I doubt they would find much interest in these retro styles. I think this was just another rub Paul and Gene wanted to make on Ace and Peter so these figures had to be part of the deal with CTVT. They likely thought KISS collectors would buy them up. I'm not seeing anyone rushing out to get them.

Comment

• huedell
            Museum Ball Eater
            • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by MIB41
            The problem is mom and dad aren't likely to shell out $300.00 for a set of 12 inch KISS figures. Even still, the kids are more of the plastic action figure generation. So I doubt they would find much interest in these retro styles. I think this was just another rub Paul and Gene wanted to make on Ace and Peter so these figures had to be part of the deal with CTVT. They likely thought KISS collectors would buy them up. I'm not seeing anyone rushing out to get them.
            KISS fans like yourself seem to take things in a spiteful nature in these cases. I wonder why that is. It's a business move to incorporate Tommy/Eric over the old guys as full-blooded KISS members and the new albums as "legit" KISS albums, not a spiteful move by a couple of second graders. Or maybe I misunderstood what you meant by the "rub" thing?
            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• megokissface
              • Nov 26, 2012

iT SEEMS YOU GUYS HAVE FANTASTIC POINTS! I dont see them selling as much product with Eric and Tommy's likeness because really, does anyone want those two? The answer is, HELL NO! The quality is not very good,the costumes on Sonic Boom are absolutely horrible except for Gene. I am getting Gene as the 12inch ONLY to transform him into Destroyer Gene by changing his codpiece and making Dragon Scale boot shields. His head is pretty huge for a doll though but I can live with it. Having Monster released so soon was a mistake. The album didnt do that great no matter what some people are saying. I work at a record shop and we only sold about 9 copies which is PATHETIC! My manager didnt even bother ordering more and was listed now as a special order item by coorporate. If all the buzz is correct and the Dressed to KILL figures are sculpted by the legendary Farrow, then I will find a way to get the 12inch figures. I have seen his rock figures and his work is simply stunning,true breathtaking works of arts! If CTVT bothers to make nonmakeup KISS figures then that will destroy the toyline because KISS has ZERO appeal to anyone without makeup as a toy. If CTVT toys continues this way then the only upside will be having them drown in unsold KISS dolls at rock bottom prices. If that happens I will buy multiples and make the damn costumes myself from scratch. The only thing that I dont understand is the following: Where in the world did CTVT come up with Gene blood splattered variants? Did they open the products to slap some paint on them? This would require them to open the clamshells and do this by hand....very puzzling to me.
              I love the nightlife..I love to boogie:googly:

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by huedell
                KISS fans like yourself seem to take things in a spiteful nature in these cases. I wonder why that is. It's a business move to incorporate Tommy/Eric over the old guys as full-blooded KISS members and the new albums as "legit" KISS albums, not a spiteful move by a couple of second graders. Or maybe I misunderstood what you meant by the "rub" thing?
                We have a difference of opinion Huedell. It no more makes you an 'authority' on the band, than it offers insight into who I am or what I think of the band. You can believe what you want. That debate is probably best served for second graders on a KISS forum. Go buy these dollies and "educate" those kids about the latest and greatest KISS business model. I doubt anyone above the age of 7 could take you seriously.

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

We have a difference of opinion Huedell. It no more makes you an 'authority' on the band, than it offers insight into who I am or what I think of the band. You can believe what you want. That debate is probably best served for second graders on a KISS forum. Go buy these dollies and "educate" those kids about the latest and greatest KISS business model. I doubt anyone above the age of 7 could take you seriously.
                  Well, no one UNDER the age of seven would understand a "spiteful" act because you have to be a bit wiser regarding that. However, I am sure there are MANY seven
                  year olds (and younger) that don't know OR care who Peter or Ace is because all they care about is a kitty cat and a spaceman (and godspeed to them).

I never claimed I was an "authority" on KISS or their business model... however, you are correct in that we we DO share a difference in opinion... mostly that it is my opinion that two 60-somethings have a lot of other tasks and motivations in their lives to make merchandise decisions other than with with the mindset of a spiteful second grader.

Funny thing though. Many KISS fans would say that you, MIB41 would be very well onto something with your ideas. But I think that says something more about the hot-blooded KISS fanbase than it does about logic.

I do also believe that the KISS fanbase, with these second-grade scenarios flying fast when a new "dollie" is released do more to spread such negative mindsets and behavior whatever the case on how KISS do business. It just sets a bad tone. It's no wonder KISS is THE premiere "man-child band" on the planet because the WWF-minded fans keep the embers going through all eras.

It's a shame and it drives me away from KISS in many respects.

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

I think KISS has only one motivation and that is to make money. And they do it in a very unapologetic way without regard for quality or the lasting impact that brings to their name. They overstate, mislead, and otherwise manipulate the consumer solely for the purpose of validating their existence so they can continue selling product. This practice has fragmented the fan base for years. And from my perspective, it's the band that should be under the spotlight of ridicule, not the fans who fight amongst themselves. When fans get into the minutia of how the band operates, it's a pointless discussion. Because it's all predicated on your own personal justification (or gullibility) to buy into what the band says in a public forum. You're likely to find more common ground between opposing opinions about abortion than what two KISS fans can drum up.

KISS constantly prop themselves up as marketing gurus and "lecture" both media and fans on what is 'wrong' with the industry; why they 'know better'; and why everyone should follow they're example on how to "get rich". It's all complete BS. They have no more credibility than the typical con artist on television at 2 AM trying to sell "undervalued" real estate. It's a travesty how much these individuals prey on their fan base. $1,500.00 for ONE person to attend a meet & greet for fifteen minutes? $4,500.00 for a coffee table-sized book? $1500.00 to $3,000.00 for one person to occupy a room on a "KISS" cruise? And there's an additional $225.00 (per person) for taxes? And these idiots get in front of the camera and brag about it while putting their base down at the same time? There's probably no license holder in the marketplace today that has less respect for the consumer than KISS. So who's in the band, why, or for what imagined purpose other than to collect a paycheck is not a rationale I entertain. I just know you have two spokesman who will say ANYTHING about themselves or others (in a positive or negative connotation) to advance their agenda for making money. THAT is the end game. KISS cares little for who is liked or why within the band. But they will help spark that debate. Because it's all an attention getter that might make you wander out and buy their product. "Old KISS", "New KISS", whatever. They don't care. As long as you've found justification to open your wallet.
                    Last edited by MIB41; Mar 16, '13, 6:37 AM.

Comment

• noelani72
                      27inaleon
                      • Jun 25, 2002

...It's a travesty how much these individuals prey on their fan base. $1,500.00 for ONE person to attend a meet & greet for fifteen minutes? $4,500.00 for a coffee table-sized book? $1500.00 to $3,000.00 for one person to occupy a room on a "KISS" cruise....
                      I see both sides of you guys and agree in both courts....but you hit the nail on the head for me...you just beat me to putting it into text.
                      KISS is one of those things that is in my heart...I didn't get into KISS until 1986 (8th grade) and I got Rock-n-Roll Over on vinyl.
                      But crap like those Meet-n-Greets...does KISS have ANY idea how bad that stings true fans who've stuck by their side for three generations?
                      I have a mortgage, car payments, insurance, dr bills, make a middle-class wage (if such a thing even exists anymore) and I still stick by their side.
                      Sure, i see all the marketing nonsense and roll my eyes - but it's a brand.
                      I was just thinking the other day that I hope KISS doesnt think they can keep going after Gene and Paul...this ain't some Menudo act who can just replace members.

Despite knowing what I know about KISS, behind the makeup - my heart will still break when any of the original four die.
                      It'll be an Elvis kind of thing for me...it will bother me.

We only had money a couple years ago to see them in concert - and Paul just has no voice left...
                      If they retired today, we would accept it.
                      They're just embarrassing themselves anymore it seems.

time to go put on some old vinyl and reminisce about the way it was.

Comment

• megokissface
                        • Nov 26, 2012

As much as I have loved KISS I fully agree with your statement 100%. The KISS Army now is divided,weak and fragmented by the dillusion that Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley are the sole owners of KISS' once rich history and legacy. You get criticized by fans that will sadly argue with if you disagree with Gene and Paul sad direction of the band both artistically and image wise. I altogether stopped buying any of their new albums,stopped attending their concerts and lost a great deal of respect in the last few years due in part because of the merchandising and their scams. I doubt that anyone could have afforded a $4000 coffee table book. I feel sad for the overpriced meet and greets,cruise trips and sillyness just to see Gene Simmons,Paul Stanley and two complete frauds wearing Ace and Peter's makeup. It got to be a sad spectacle to see them trash Peter and Ace but not make bones about using their likeness to make money. I still buy the figures here and there however, I buy shop my support for Ace and Peter by buying stuff from their websites. It's so sad to see Gene and Paul end KISS this way.

Comment

• megokissface
                          • Nov 26, 2012

Im with you on your statments as well. I dont think Gene and Paul give a sh*t about their fans! Eddy Trunk put it best when he mentioned that it was a slap in the face to have two fakes parading around in Ace and Peter's makeup to make money! It is a slap in the face when you have stood by and bought their albums,shown your love and support for 3 decades going on almost 4. Such an act pretty much tells you that Gene and Paul never had any respect for the band's legacy,history,impact and those of us who stood by. The Farewell Tour was my first and EVER KISS show and it was to me beyond a concert,it was a pilgrimage to see these magnificent guys. I will never forget that concert since I still have the ticket stubs,the confetti,the tourbook and tshirt. I just never in my wildest dreams ever imagined one day Gene and Paul would DARE to create a FAKE Ace and Peter. Im amazed Gene hasnt gone after Eric Carr's makeup to pass it of some roadie or janitor to stick behind the drumkit! Just SAD...to see my childhood heroes do such nonesense. Life is short indeed and Im happy to know Peter had beaten cancer! Long LIVE the legacy of KISS no matter what terrible stuff Gene and Paul try to do it!

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

I do want to add that I was a big KISS fan in the 70's and 80's. Loved them with and without the makeup AND with different members like Carr and Kulick. The wife and I saw them twice on their "farewell" tour and it felt like a good time for them to retire. At that point, they could still get away with it, but the cracks were certainly showing. But that was also the time when Paul Stanley got divorced and his ex-wife absolutely reamed him out of his money made from the reunion and the subsequent support he had to provide. So there will always be a part of me which believes THAT was the initial reason why they did an about-face, continued on with replacements, and started going anywhere to any place that would have them. I had also read Stanley actually gave up his stake in KISS for a period of time to Simmons while the divorce played out so future earnings could not get applied on a support basis. But whatever the reason, they quit being the band I knew and enjoyed. And where before they seem to have a standard as to what they would do, nothing is off limits now. They'll play at carnivals, put their image on Hello Kitty products, and just wh*re themselves out to whomever will have them. And when they started putting records out again, there was no market for them. As a matter of fact, sales for both those albums (Sonic and Monster combined) didn't even match what Psycho Circus sold when the band was in it's reunion mode. These days Stanley wears a BAD wig, promotes cruise shows, appears on Dancing with the Stars, and can no longer hold a vocal note due to the over-touring. I'm actually waiting for the band to go on a high school gymnasium tour and call it their "biggest tour yet". Their just a parody of themselves now. And I can't buy into that stuff. And while I'm no longer invested in their current projects, I would certainly not advocate no one else do that. These are just my opinions for myself. Music is a very personal choice. So there will never be a "right" or "wrong" reason to like (or not like) a band if it works for you. That's all that matters.
                            Last edited by MIB41; Mar 17, '13, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• jimsmegos
                              Mego Dork
                              • Nov 9, 2008

Saw some 'new' tour photos last night on facebook and I gotta tell ya... I think I've had enough of the the KISS machine. It makes me sad really. Like many here I grew up with KISS... saw them live numerous times (Asylum, Hot in the Shade, Reunion)... had a lot of fun with the magic and the music. More so the magic I think. The music was fun but honestly no albums really blown me away since Destroyer. There were still some fun tunes that they put out but nothing as complete an album as Destroyer IMO. I still would like to buy Gene and Paul a beer for all the lady fun that came from playing a cover of "Forever" back in the day. (Yes, I was a pig... but it was the hair band era, watcha gonna do?)

I really wish they would have called the make up over and done with at the end of Psycho Circus / the Farewell Tour. I really believe that had they done it that way the merchandise machine could have kept on rolling, older albums and collections could have been repackaged and re-released from now until the end of time and the guys could have road off into the sunset as Rock N Roll / Entertainment statesmen. But instead it seems more like the whole KISS machine is at best a '72 Pinto missing one hubcap, with flyers taped to the windows and a bullhorn speaker on top of it barking non stop "Hurry, hurry, hurry! Come see the greatest band in the world before the dementia sets in"

But so be it. It's their lives and creation to do with as they see fit. And I'm sure about 5 to 10 years after they do call it quits people will look back and only really care about the 70's KISS (as far as the make up goes) with everything else from the later years just disregarded and a mere 'gaff' in an otherwise entertainment power houses stellar career.

Just like Superman with no red trunks.

Comment

• megokissface
                                • Nov 26, 2012

You speak from the heart buddy! There are thousands of us that feel the same way and feel that so much has gone wrong with the mighty KISS band that we grew up with and loved. There's only so much Gene and Paul can do now and the high school gymnasium is idea is pretty clever. When I was kid I recall getting awful comments for liking KISS and now KISS is akin to Hello Kitty? I feel like those kids in the late 70's whom left because of "I Was Made For Loving You." The crazy part is that some of us arent coming back to camp anymore. I hope Simmons and Stanley dont actually attempt to replace themselves in KISS as they have mentioned before. They already are a parody of themselves and a great selfmade coverband.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎