X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimsmegos
    Mego Dork
    • Nov 9, 2008

Originally posted by Tothiro
    As I understand it the Doom parts were a sculpting material (probably milliputt at the time) over recasts he made of LJN SWAT style swivel biceps, and the legs were sculpted over similarly kitbashed bases.
    Here's scans of the tutorial... http://jimstoybox.com/2011/07/07/tim...dier-tutorial/

Comment

• nobody
      banjo!
      • Jan 26, 2012

I found issue scans...enjoy.
      http://www.oocities.org/mrgas80/

Comment

• Tothiro
        Kitten Mittens
        • Aug 28, 2008

Nice one J! I'll look and see if I squirreled any issues away and scan if I can.

Zach Oat was my contact guy. He was pretty solid with the direction and didn't change the game on me much once things were begun... I do remember we had a problem dialing in what Dormammu was supposed to look like so I think that actually came back around for revisions. Also the original request for Silver Surfer was a reflective finish, and I gave it the college try, but spent a significant amount of time on the phone detailing why it was a no-go. I'd silver leafed a flattworld Lugosi head as a test, and gone through just about every fabric shop in town. It finally came down to the reality that I'd have to recast a complete T2 and send the parts out to get chrome dipped, but then that would present a wear problem at the joints which they wouldn't be able to touch up in the shop. So he fell on the fabric I'd picked up as the best of the not-what-they-wanted options.
        Funny enough, Zach's biggest feedback was agony over work not getting the spotlight or mileage he thought it should. Like when I sent back the soft vinyl Optimus, the original request was to have it multijointed so he could be running from a macross fighter in jet mode on the cover. I made a part wire, part tension pulley, part cut joint system that ball jointed the head, added shoulder/elbow/wrist/waist/hip/knee/ankle articulation (some of it multi angle), and completed the 3d look when the knees and such were bent by utilizing free floating interior custom curvature parts that "finished the bend" when the parts were flexed. Then I matched all new parts and finished the edging on cut parts by matching the original vinyl tones using a mix of automotive speckle and translucent metallic paints and dye. Optimus could sit cross legged and say his inner Ohm.
        Zach called me up right before the issues shipped and there was an awkward moment of nerd rage on the other end where he was flabbergasted that all this work was contracted and the photographer decided instead to shoot Prime in basically the same position that the original static toy came in. I was like, check cashed - I'm good.

Now he's all found a charming wife and has an adorable baby and working press for some company called Diamond Select Toys. There's no helping some folks.

Comment

• Tothiro
          Kitten Mittens
          • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by HumanWolfman
          deadline was met and I made $125.00
          That was the other thing, right? I mean, yes - cool and all the stuff sees publication, and a little extra money is nice, but compare the rates of what we were doing to your typical working artist/sculptor and woah were we cheap (man he shafted you on that one - I did a head and suit for $150, which was more or less what it took for me to take a phone call ... it was usually higher. I think Kingpin was $250, but my range was 175-225)
          I'm not complaining because I was green as all get-out, but still the money/deadline made it interesting. I gotta say though when I picked up an issue at the bookstore and saw someone else's figure (I did this with Dr Strange for sure) I usually scowled and said to myself "dude that came out awesome... they're going to know I'm a sham because I tuned in garbage - I gotta step it up!"

My GF at the time HATED that I was doing it until she sat me down for the "this is not a mature people thing" talk and I explained the one project I was doing spare time was 1/3 of the rent check - then her tune was, "Why are we still talking? Get back to work! go - go - go!"
          Last edited by Tothiro; Feb 24, '13, 2:03 PM.

Comment

• HumanWolfman
            Type3Toys Has Transformed
            • Oct 5, 2011

Well, none of us did it for the money, that was for sure. Most of the time i would talk to Justin, once in a while i would deal with Zack. I wonder what ever happened to all those custom figures?
            View My Customs
            www.type3toys.com
            or check here
            http://megomuseum.com/community/memb...5-HumanWolfman

Comment

• gaga4toyz
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 10, 2004

I believe Scott Fernester Did some customs for them as well. Scott did some of the early sculpting work for Castaway, and I seem to remember having a converation back in 06 about him making some stuff for them.

Comment

• MegoCapnMike
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 22, 2012

That's awesome hearing all of the insider info on these. I am sad the magazine and the theatre is gone. I wonder if it would ever be possible to pick up the reins and keep going with these. Perhaps on this site or in the Megozine? That might be fun. It would also be a good showcase for a lot of folks' custom work.
                Looking for:

--Lion Rock "Mr Rock's" shoes/ boots (these may also be the same as the lion rock monster line boots)

--Mystery Astronaught

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎