Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada
capbanner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twisted Toyfare Theatre customs

Twisted Toyfare Theatre customs

I saw something earlier tonight that got me thinking of the Twisted Toyfare Theatre comics. Got a couple of the volumes I have out and flipped through them. They have some good looking customs in there. I am just curious if anyone has ever really looked at some of these to figure out what pieces were put into this or that to make certain figures. Obviously a lot of them are cheap and quick figures made for a 1 or 2 frame bit here and there, but I am talking about some of their better made customs.

Not all of them are completely made from scratch. Many appear to be kit bashing combined with custom sculpts and or paint jobs. For example, their original Silver Surfer was simply a naked and bald Thor figure painted silver. Later versions in the strip have him as a better more Mego looking custom figure with (I believe) a custom sculpt.

Dr Doom in particular is one of their better customs and was a regular in the strip and also the figure that got me thinking about this. Doom appears to possibly be a kit bashed figure. But I am not sure what figures were used to make him. Looking through ebay, all the versions I see are either too big or too small and the hand sculpts aren't right. I don't think it is a shrink or enlarge deal either as the hand casts are different than the toys I see online. Anyone familiar with the series have any clue as to what was done to create this or any other custom Twisted Toyfare figure?

Images
    This is how it worked. ToyFare would commission an artist to make a particular custom. They would be told who and how it was suposed to look. When the figure was complete, pictures would be submitted for approval. There was usually a strict, short timeline in which to make the figure so it was received berfore the issue went to publication. They would usually pay a few hundred dollars for each piece. Long, long ago, I made several figures for them. Mysterio, Whirlwind, Moon Knight and New Black Panther were all early figures of mine made for ToyFare. I also made a Barbie as Emma Frost for their other mag, cant remember the name of at the moment. Although they are all fond memories, I cringe when I look at those early works when i compare them to whay I can create today.

I think Vince Callaghan of Project Custom made some for them as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    I think Vince Callaghan of Project Custom made some for them as well, if I'm not mistaken.
    Yes he did, as did Charlee Flatt. Vince probablly did more of them than anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by HumanWolfman View Post
    This is how it worked. ToyFare would commission an artist to make a particular custom. They would be told who and how it was suposed to look. When the figure was complete, pictures would be submitted for approval. There was usually a strict, short timeline in which to make the figure so it was received berfore the issue went to publication. They would usually pay a few hundred dollars for each piece. Long, long ago, I made several figures for them. Mysterio, Whirlwind, Moon Knight and New Black Panther were all early figures of mine made for ToyFare. I also made a Barbie as Emma Frost for their other mag, cant remember the name of at the moment. Although they are all fond memories, I cringe when I look at those early works when i compare them to whay I can create today.
    Thank you for the info. I always love hearing inside info on that kind of stuff. Behind the scenes trivia is always fascinating. All great customs as I recall from the issues. I always really like the Mysterio in the strip.

But if I am not mistaken a lot of the customs (definitely not all but a lot) were just kit bashing. Not being a sculptor myself, I am just curious as to possible kit bashing I might be able to do to create some of the figures myself. Not exact clones of the Toyfare ones necessarily, but something close. Being a fan of the magazine, I thought it might be fun to have some more Mego-Ville occupants on my shelf to hang out with Mego Spidey and Hulk. So I was just wondering about any info on that.

I did the later Silver Surfer, the Black Bolt, Kingpin, Uncle Ben Serpentor, Mephisto, Dormammu, and a few other things I don't recall... as well as cutting down and "Gi Joe articulating" the 12" Optimus Prime soft vinyl statue they posed for a few covers.

Charlee did the Dr Doom, and quite a few others (his stuff is distinctively his, so the X-Men, etc are pretty easy to spot).

Charlee sculpted from scratch, as did I and many others. Several others kit-bashed to great effect like with Dr Strange and Punisher - those heads are both recasts of a Canada Hockey teams line of solid plastic one piece figures with roto vinyl heads. I believe both were made by the same artist who I believe may also be a member here.
    My turnarounds were staggeringly short (24-48 hours a few times) so they didn't require photos, just sent me ref pictures and a contract via fed-ex, which I signed and sent back a copy of with the finished work. I didn't have time for kit-bash because I didn't have time for molds (except with Dormammu and Kingpin), or I probably would have used it. All of mine were just sculpey and acrylic paint, and make me cringe too like everyone probably does.

The Famous Covers Doom head is a popular kitbash choice, and what I used for my own until it gets a resculpt head. A lot of FC have the screaming action, which is not my thing, but are in scale for 8" because of a technical mistake by Toy Biz.
    Last edited by Tothiro; Feb 23, '13 at 6:55 PM.
    Looking for Tong body style LHT/Australian release Ninjas of any color, and here's :::My Expansive Wants List::: WARNING: I am medical malady boy, and have recently proven to be chronic iffy-to-negligible-trader-response-guy. Like After School Special worthy. This is my self-imposed Scarlet Letter.

There was a woman who got banned from here who claimed she did some costumes for some figures.
    "The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow...How did it come to this?"

"Keep buggerin` on, ayyy!"

^This I'm strangely fascinated to learn.
    Like was she claiming she'd done stuff other people actually did, or just random "hey lookit -I made that?"

I know a lot of us were working on Sweet J Presents doing stuff for Seth and Matt before Robot Chicken launched. TF had, pretty much around that time, started doing what they did later with the writing - IE "hey kid, wanna be published? Great - do this thing for free and amaze your friends!" so the hiring was often whoever would do it below cost. I have to imagine there were any number of people involved at that stage.
    TF had still asked after a removable helmet Juggernaut like the Kingpin I did for a while, but the price they could budget was even less than previous jobs, and it would be another scratch body build, so I could never say yes.
    Looking for Tong body style LHT/Australian release Ninjas of any color, and here's :::My Expansive Wants List::: WARNING: I am medical malady boy, and have recently proven to be chronic iffy-to-negligible-trader-response-guy. Like After School Special worthy. This is my self-imposed Scarlet Letter.

Her being banned didn't have anything to do with her claim. She said Toyfare approached her about doing costumes for some customs but they wouldn't give her enough time to get them done so she stopped trying to work with them.
    "The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow...How did it come to this?"

"Keep buggerin` on, ayyy!"

Oh, hahaha... She's rock solid then.