X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

That's awesome.

I'm really interested in how they paint.

The surface looks really abrasive. I wonder if you sand the roughness down, will it lose detail?

Comment

• Legend of Link
      Career Member
      • Jun 12, 2010

I've learned through previous customs I've made with the 3d printer that 3m spot filler works the best.
      Sanding it doesn't fill the ridges and texture that's left by the printer, but this isn't the highest quality print either.
      Using the spot filler does lose a little of the detail, but that can be fixed with exaggerated facial sculpts. What I mean by that is if I print a head then use the spot filler, the lips or eye balls could be consumed and would have to be painted on. But in my sculpting program if I go through and inflate the "problem areas" they show up more clearly and won't be covered when I spot fill them.

But hopefully, when I figure out the higher resolution printing, Ill be ale to skip the spot filler step and be able to: print, prime, and paint.

We shall see.

http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r561/Sgordy199/ <- My Mego Pictures

Comment

• noelani72
        27inaleon
        • Jun 25, 2002

as Sean mentioned, the prints do need some work afterwards - but we are working on it.
        The PLA material doesn't sand down like you'd think - it globs up, so if I was stuck with this printer and its current quality and really needed to make a NICE part - I'd print it, mold it, cast it.
        Then, once cast in resin, I'd do the repairs, then mold again.
        That's a LOT of busy work - but as I said, only if we really want a perfect item.

This printer is toast - we are sending it back...something is just wrong with it, aside from the manufacturer defect with the extruder that they are covering up - but we have a fix for that and it helped greatly.

I totally love seeing those heads resized like that...and fast too. I think he had less than an hour scanning the head - btw, NOT at its maximum capabilities either mind you...and then less than an hour to print the head.
        We really hope to have a digital file library here someday for us all to share.

Going along with these Hulk experiments, something I told Sean about was that swivel torso Hulk body that Lonnie was doing a while back...it would be cool to bring those back!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by noelani72

Going along with these Hulk experiments, something I told Sean about was that swivel torso Hulk body that Lonnie was doing a while back...it would be cool to bring those back!
          I will have more of those available before summer.

Comment

• mikeoz
            Mego Maker
            • Mar 9, 2007

Unlimited possibilities with 3d scanning and printing. Thanks for sharing!
            Looking for:
            Lincoln Phantom of the Opera

Comment

• almitysufx
              Persistent Member
              • May 27, 2004

This stuff is so cool! It's going to be exciting to see what you bring to the meet. I always thought it would be cool to see the 8" megos enlarged to 12" glory and now you've got that thought in my head again.

Comment

• Tothiro
                Kitten Mittens
                • Aug 28, 2008

Aw Yeah... I'd love to see 12" Black Hole and ST:TMP Decker, Illia, and aliens scanned and scaled to 8". That would be a fun rework project. Heck Black Hole static Vincent rescales and such would be great to mod into functional casts too. This the kind of busy work I could get into.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Comment

• Neutron X
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 22, 2007

Great looking Hulk! I am excited by all the possibilities. I would love to be able to get POTA heads for 12in figs or WGSH heads. Or maybe get a Outer Space Men head for Mego custom figure!

Comment

• noelani72
                    27inaleon
                    • Jun 25, 2002

Finally!
                    After numerous support tickets a replacement printer and three different build plates, we were finally able to achieve the maximum high resolution of our printer.
                    The orange head was ran today...baby smooth and is .10mm layer height!

image.jpg

Comment

• Brown Bear
                      Still Old School
                      • Feb 14, 2008

The possibilities are endless with this. You could make a fortune making shrunken/enlarged heads to customizers. Those look great.
                      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• piecemaker
                        There's no need to fear..
                        • Jan 26, 2009

That looks 100% better!

Comment

• noelani72
                          27inaleon
                          • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                          The possibilities are endless with this. You could make a fortune making shrunken/enlarged heads to customizers. Those look great.
                          Nope, would rather help be a founding member of a digital parts library for our board first.
                          I'm certain there will be those oncey twosie scan & print jobs for someone's custom figure, but library takes precedence.

Comment

• madmarva
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jul 7, 2007

Wow, great results

Comment

• megowgsh
                              Customego HoF Curator
                              • Nov 19, 2003

outstanding!
                              Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• megocrazy
                                Museum Trouble Maker
                                • Feb 18, 2007

From the first day Chad told me he was getting this, I knew he and Sean would make great use of it. Gonna be some cool stuff coming I'm sure.
                                It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎