X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Colouring Book Theatre : Action Jackson

Today's colouring book is a personal favourite of mine, Mego Action Jackson.

For those not in the know, Action Jackson was Mego's attempt to muscle into the boy's market dominated by G.I. Joe with a new character and plenty of TV advertising.

Action Jackson was a sportsman/adventurer/military man who kids just had to think of what they wanted to be and call on him.

AJ sold brightly but not for a long time, Mego went on the superheroes and the rest is history.

My Dad's company bought a lot of Action Jackson overstock back in the mid seventies, so I was bringing AJ's to birthday parties up until the late 70's.

First off, I love the art in this Saalfield publication, it suits the character perfectly.

The story itself is all over the map, Saalfield tried hard to incorporate all of AJ's outfits and accessories into this so AJ parachutes in, then goes surfing, takes a dangerous mission, crashes his plain in the jungle. Above he gets stuck in quicksand but is quickly rescued by the Action Jackson helicopter.

After being rescued, AJ goes on a sporting tear, playing football, hockey, baseball (his favourite sport!) and then Karate. When does he sleep? AJ then hops in another plane, which crashes again and he's rescued by a boat. Which brings me to my favourite page......

Yep, AJ takes a little coffee break and indulges his sweet tooth. Think this page is weird?

What if I told you it was a double page spread! Judging by the extra cups of coffee, I get how AJ gets things done. I guess Saalfield had to stretch a bit. The remainder of the book, AJ has anunderwater adventure, gets stranded in the jungle again, finds mayan treasure, gets trapped and then he straps on his helicopter backpack (something I still want to be able to own for myself) and sails off into the sunset.

Hopefully he goes for a nap.

Got a colouring book you'd like to guest review? Drop me a line!
    Visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Classic stuff! I didn't realize that AJ was marketed in other areas besides the action figure line.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

that's pretty cool,I love the art work on the first pic
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• MegoNinja
        Career Member
        • Feb 7, 2007

Does any one else think of Moe from the Simpsons when they see that strap on helicopter pack?
        I the Monster Hero

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

Yep, this is the book I mentioned I have. It was pre-owned by a kid named Billy Conway from Room 9. That quicksand page and a few others are colored already in my book. I like to make copies for my kids. (OK, and for me too, sometimes!)

For those who are interested, they also made AJ colorforms, (which I have) and an AJ lunchbox (that I wish I had).
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Notice how the artist doesn't try to capture the likeness of the AJ figure's somewhat-less-than-handsome-face.

I always liked it when coloring books would use a second color on the splash page. I have an old Batman coloring book like that.

May I suggest the classic Super Friends coloring book with Wendy and Marvin (shudder)? The artwork in that book is exactly on-model to the show, moreso than most given episodes!

Keep 'em coming!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

May I suggest the classic Super Friends coloring book with Wendy and Marvin (shudder)? The artwork in that book is exactly on-model to the show, moreso than most given episodes!
              I've got that here Chris and even did some research on how it remains so on model.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎