Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeattleEd
    SynthoRes Transmigrator
    • Oct 24, 2007

I concur. Not a fan of how people are passing off early repro/non-marked parts as originals, more with the hype of these collectors shows on television and people scrambling to make a quick buck. But repros do serve a purpose in the hobby. May not appeal to all but it is appreciated by many.

I'm only qualm is if a repro is being made, make it with quality. Tired of spending hard earned dinero on product that simply falls apart.

Originally posted by clemso
    I like all my Megos to be 100% vintage. I like the idea that I have something that was made just as uit was in the 1970s. I think repro parts are fine, they have a purpose for customizers and for those who want to lovingly restore their childhood toys. There are only 2 things that can really **** me off and that's repro items that have been made with no markings, a nightmare just to tell from a jpeg (See the recent thread with the fake RM mask as a good example) and of course those who deliberately try to pass a repro item off knowingly as original.

Comment

• Figuremod73
      That 80's guy
      • Jul 27, 2011

Like the thread starter I didnt have many Mego's as a kid either. I can completely see their appeal though. Honestly, most of my figures are 50% or more reproduction and i'm fine with it. I'm glad that there is a cheap alternative out there or I wouldnt be able to get them at all.

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by clemso
        I like all my Megos to be 100% vintage. I like the idea that I have something that was made just as uit was in the 1970s. I think repro parts are fine, they have a purpose for customizers and for those who want to lovingly restore their childhood toys. There are only 2 things that can really **** me off and that's repro items that have been made with no markings, a nightmare just to tell from a jpeg (See the recent thread with the fake RM mask as a good example) and of course those who deliberately try to pass a repro item off knowingly as original.
        That why you have to give Doc credit. At least he marks his stuff so you know what your getting.

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

It is one thing to repro, say, a Captain Kirk. Not a holy grail figure. The character is still popular today. It re-introduces people outside of this community to Mego style figures. And it provides great fodder for customizers.

But most holy grails are a distinct product of their times. There was something "off" about the figure, or it wasn't that popular, or it has some cool historical significance. I'll never understand why some people seem obsessed with repro'ing these items. Being vintage ("can you believe Mego made this?!?") is what makes these things special.

Comment

• megomania
            Persistent Member
            • Jan 2, 2010

Sorry....couldn't resist....

Comment

• Bronxboykev
              Permanent Member
              • Mar 7, 2011

Naturally I prefer all my stuff original. But what if mego offered you the opportunity to buy parts the way doc and ctvt and countless others do... Sometimes the only way to tell the repro is if it's marked... I know it may be blasphemy but why should a replacement part diminish or devalue a figure... Just something to think about.

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I think "repro" is MOSTLY accepted amongst the Mego crowd, so long as it's not passed off as original. I suspect that's 'cos the customizer movement was such a big part of the Mego resurge back in the 90's.

Don C.

Comment

• Megotu
                  jerk
                  • Dec 16, 2001

In a lot of ways I PREFER modern quality reproduction pieces to vintage pieces. I have young children who prefer Mego style toys and, in theory at least, modern toys have more stringent lead content laws than they did in the 70's. Vintage plastic tends to weep plasticizer, the source of the Mego Melt phenomenon although Famous Covers were doing this within the first couple of years.
                  sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Megotu
                    In a lot of ways I PREFER modern quality reproduction pieces to vintage pieces. I have young children who prefer Mego style toys and, in theory at least, modern toys have more stringent lead content laws than they did in the 70's. Vintage plastic tends to weep plasticizer, the source of the Mego Melt phenomenon although Famous Covers were doing this within the first couple of years.
                    Ah, don't be silly. We all played with these vintages toys and look how... um... er... good call on the repros.

Comment

• JediJaida
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 14, 2008

Ain't that the honest truth.

We didn't know anything about lead laws back in the 70's except not to eat peeling paint, because the teachers always told us that it was poison.

Although, why anyone would want to eat peeling paint is beyond me.

Back on the subject.....the modern stuff that they have now, really doesn't interest me all that much. I was never into Transformers, Voltron, video games or anything else.

When I was a little girl, it was WGSupergals, Waltons, Dinah mite, Raggedy Ann, and the occasional Barbie doll. As well as a boatload of books for Christmas and my birthday.
                      JediJaida

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎