Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JediJaida
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 14, 2008

Okay, that's enough peeps. Let's play nice and keep it civil.
    JediJaida

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I like my vintage Megos all-original.

I'm grateful at times for repro parts for customs, but I frequently have concerns about their quality.

And BTW, throwing around terms like "elitist" when challenged is childish IMO--the majority of collectors here are working-class hobbyists who are diligent (and generous.)

Anyone recall former member "Megodeco"?
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 15, '13, 8:02 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Vinny0026
        Year Five!!
        • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by toys2cool
        It's not hate...repros are cool for what they are..But what happens is when a reproduction figure comes out the prices of the originals go down, because people don't feel the need to hunt down and pay for the rarity of the item anymore..Sure there will always be hardcore collectors who would pay w/e or those of us who prefer all original...but for the most part most people would rather spend $20 on a reproduction then $400 on an original
        Please know that I'm not pro or con with this reply
        I find what you are saying to be true. But I also find that a true collector will also pay top dollar for an all original figure. So I think it drives the prices both ways. In 35 years of collecting I have found if you wait long enough at any point in time you can get an all original at a great price and if you just can't wait for a figure than you will also pay sky high.

I paid top dollar for my perfect batman removable cowl because I wanted him to be all original. But I also have display pieces that I don't mind repros on them.

So I do agree at times it can drop them down but also drive them up. perfect example is a RM robin almost everyone here has a reproduction but yet everyone here wants an original. even with willing to pay top dollar for one there is just non out there so we have to settle for the repro.
        "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

• Timothy2251
          Jerks beef with Ten Bears
          • Mar 15, 2008

Perfectly happy with repros as much as I am with original Mego stuff. My collection is for me anyway, and if I can score a reproduction of something for far less than I could an original that's beat up or dinged, then so be it. My shelf isn't going to notice the difference and neither will I.
          "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• Scousebadger
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            I like my vintage Megos all-original.

I'm grateful at times for repro parts for customs, but I frequently have concerns about their quality.

And BTW, throwing around terms like "elitist" when challenged is childish IMO--the majority of collectors here are working-class hobbyists who are diligent (and generous.)

Anyone recall former member "Megodeco"?
            I agree. But it's also childish to have a go at someone for even suggesting they'd like a repro version of something they're not very likely to find by a group of people who already have it.

No?

Comment

• dr_cyclops
              One eyed, wonder
              • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by Timothy2251
              Perfectly happy with repros as much as I am with original Mego stuff. My collection is for me anyway, and if I can score a reproduction of something for far less than I could an original that's beat up or dinged, then so be it. My shelf isn't going to notice the difference and neither will I.
              I'm with you on that one. It's what makes collecting parts and pieces so much fun. It's my chance to have Megos again. Even better is my chance to share with kindered souls.
              From now on, dr_cyclops will be calling his customs 'Original Vintage Prototypes'. lol Sorry.

Comment

• Scousebadger
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2, 2012

Originally posted by Timothy2251
                For me there are two main drivers: is what I want available in any form (vintage or repro), and what is the cost?

Since I am buying figures and parts for me (I'm not an investor; I'll kitbash and customise to get the figures I want), then having a 100% original figure isn't as important as it would be to someone else.

I can understand people's concerns about repro parts being sold as vintage, but that isn't the fault of customisers. Nobody should set out to rip people off, and people shouldn't lose money because of fraud. Been there, done that on ebay. I've also been ripped off by someone connected to the Mego Museum, too.

But having a go at people who don't use repro parts etc for illicit purposes is not the best way to make friends or influence people.

Comment

• sauce
                  Removed
                  • Jun 24, 2007

'having a go' -- not quite accurate -- you joined a thread documenting fact about a vintage suit and asked for a reproduction to be made -- okay, so it's relatively harmless what you said, but it also speaks to a larger problem in the hobby that vintage collectors, reproduction part users and customizers all interface with -- if it's hard to come by, should we make a copy and make it readily available?

On a thread discussing the joys of vintage collecting, your request was misplaced. Say it somewhere else and the discussion would have gone differently. I think you come across as a reasonable person with a love of MEGO and a sense of humor. I am certain you will do well around here.

I'll pass along any reproduction parts I get in job lots so you can carry on in your quest for MEGO joy. I support you. Really, I do.

Comment

• Scousebadger
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2, 2012

Originally posted by nayrbgo
                    'having a go' -- not quite accurate -- you joined a thread documenting fact about a vintage suit and asked for a reproduction to be made -- okay, so it's relatively harmless what you said, but it also speaks to a larger problem in the hobby that vintage collectors, reproduction part users and customizers all interface with -- if it's hard to come by, should we make a copy and make it readily available?

On a thread discussing the joys of vintage collecting, your request was misplaced. Say it somewhere else and the discussion would have gone differently. I think you come across as a reasonable person with a love of MEGO and a sense of humor. I am certain you will do well around here.

I'll pass along any reproduction parts I get in job lots so you can carry on in your quest for MEGO joy. I support you. Really, I do.
                    Thank you for that.

I can see that there's been a lot of stuff happen that I'm not aware of. I'm sorry if my statement, which was made in all innocence, upset anyone.

I would love to have vintage Mego figures. All pristine and boxed or carded, ready to display on my shelves.

But I have to be realistic: you have to be able to pay for these, and I really do not have the available funds to do so.

I would offer a suggestion though: going overboard admonishing newbies for looking at repro alternatives could possibly be construed as elitism in the hobby. Though that wasn't your intent (I get you're worried about the fraudsters out there), but putting people off Mego collecting is not going to help the hobby grow.

And then what is the point of collecting 100% vintage figures if there's no-one around in the future who may be interested in buying them?

Comment

• HardyGirl
                      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                      • Apr 3, 2007

To me, a Mego is a Mego. The ones from the past are vintage, and the ones that Doc Mego and EMCE and CTVT make are current. But ALL are Megos to me. To heck w/ the naysayers. Enjoy your toys!
                      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• osker55
                        Booyaaa
                        • Aug 8, 2011

well I'm lost with all the back and forth talking butttt

I perfer all original parts myself I might not been around in the 70s when they first came out but I appreciate it as much as everyone else and only 23 prob one of the youngest persons in this forum that appreciates these figures don't like repro parts its a easy way out to me. rather wait for the parts and make it that much more satisfing when you get it its like a rush in a way.
                        Wants....

AHI wolfman mint hairy Version
                        AHI wolfman moc
                        Lincoln Wolfman and Mummy
                        Kresge moc WGSH
                        Other stuff to update

Comment

• clemso
                          Talkative Member
                          • Aug 8, 2001

I like all my Megos to be 100% vintage. I like the idea that I have something that was made just as uit was in the 1970s. I think repro parts are fine, they have a purpose for customizers and for those who want to lovingly restore their childhood toys. There are only 2 things that can really **** me off and that's repro items that have been made with no markings, a nightmare just to tell from a jpeg (See the recent thread with the fake RM mask as a good example) and of course those who deliberately try to pass a repro item off knowingly as original.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

i have no problem with repro parts. like others have said, for rare parts that would cost an arm and a leg, i have no problem buying a repro for $5.00. i am always on the lookout for the actual vintage part at a great price and in the meantime my figure is complete with repro's as a standby. good case in point is for figures like the titans, of the SI

Comment

• Chris
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                              i have no problem with repro parts. like others have said, for rare parts that would cost an arm and a leg, i have no problem buying a repro for $5.00.
                              I luv repro parts and boxes it's all I buy.
                              If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                                SynthoRes Transmigrator
                                • Oct 24, 2007

Well said, OGB!

Originally posted by nayrbgo

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎