• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scousebadger
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2, 2012

"Repro" is a dirty word?

Hello.

I'm new to the whole Mego thing. I had a few as a kid, and as an adult have concentrated mainly on 1/6 and 3.75" figures.

But lately I've liked the new figures that have been coming out, and have enjoyed investigating lines that I never saw as a kid (like Wizard of Oz and Planet of the Apes).

Now, maybe because Mego wasn't the biggest part of my childhood, but I have no issues with reproduction parts and accessories. In fact, due to the scarcity of some vintage figures etc. repro is the only way for me to go a lot of the time.

But I didn't realise just what a blasphemy reproduction parts are to some people. I can see why collectors would want 100% original figures, but why the hate against those who want to customise or who can't find/afford the figures or parts they want?

I don't get it.

Gary
  • Figuremod73
    That 80's guy
    • Jul 27, 2011

I wouldnt worry to much about it. Some like the challenge of looking for original parts (with megos it can sometimes be challenging epecially on a buget) and some just want good looking figures (the merry men from CTVT look great on a drmego body, for example). To each their own really, its all good. I think collecting should be about what makes you happy and having people like on here to share your enthusasm with.

It's much worse on the Star Wars sites with repro weapons ive heard.

Basically, its much more frowned apon to try and pass repro's for original parts.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

There are positives and negatives to reproduction parts in any hobby. I haven't noticed any 'hating' recently, but there are certainly strong feelings on both sides that have been debated ad nauseum. If you can't find the threads, that probably means they blew-up and got sent to the cornfield.

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

It's not hate...repros are cool for what they are..But what happens is when a reproduction figure comes out the prices of the originals go down, because people don't feel the need to hunt down and pay for the rarity of the item anymore..Sure there will always be hardcore collectors who would pay w/e or those of us who prefer all original...but for the most part most people would rather spend $20 on a reproduction then $400 on an original
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Iron Mego
          Wake Up Heavy
          • Jan 31, 2010

I have found that this particular group of collectors, as well as the Jumbo Machinder collectors, are perfectly fine with repros, even grateful. It allows us to have "complete" figures at a more reasonable price. As time goes on, original parts are going to get more and more scarce, so I'm happy to have people like Doc Mego, the CTVT and Castaway guys making reproduction parts. I personally have no problems with repro parts, unless you're buying something that is supposed to be 100% original.
          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• kresge1
            Museum_Bozo
            • Jun 20, 2001

All for the RE-mego revolution, hopefully we can get figures that we never had. Just not a fan of the repro market. It can lead to unscrupulous people passing off repros as originals to the uninformed or the new breed of collectors in the hobby. I am a big fan or original, authentic pieces and thats what drives my collecting habits. We can have strong opinions for both sides of the argument, but certainly not hatred
            Now Bryan hates everyone! I am just a shy , introverted boy from the Bronx
            Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• sauce
              Removed
              • Jun 24, 2007

It's a dirty word when the reproduction parts are passed off as original. See 'benbarb' and others on eBay for examples.

Comment

• sauce
                Removed
                • Jun 24, 2007

I hate everyone except that clown who picks my avocados.

Comment

• Scousebadger
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2, 2012

Originally posted by nayrbgo
                  I hate everyone except that clown who picks my avocados.
                  That comment added NOTHING to my thread. I hope you're properly ashamed of yourself.

Comment

• sauce
                    Removed
                    • Jun 24, 2007

Hey! Let's have a flame war!!!!! I'm six years old. Are you five?

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                      OH JES!!
                      • Jul 21, 2005

Like the others said if you're Passing of an original with repros and not saying it your a dirty Bastage! otherwise repros are great for customs!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                        OH JES!!
                        • Jul 21, 2005

FLAME FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Scousebadger
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2, 2012

As much fun as that sounds, I'll politely decline, thanks.

And yes, anyone who tries to defraud unsuspecting buyers needs their bits covered in pate and fed to rottweilers.

But I don't think anyone deserves getting lynched just for even suggesting they'd like repro versions of stuff that's not readily available.

Comment

• kresge1
                            Museum_Bozo
                            • Jun 20, 2001

Can I be the court jester
                            Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• Scousebadger
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2, 2012

I thought you already were.

The clown avatar?
                              Last edited by Scousebadger; Feb 15, '13, 11:48 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎