Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beartex2000
    For display only!!
    • Jun 2, 2007

Motts, the neighborhood 5&dime store in Haltom City, Tx. Man, they always had a good supply of Megos.. I think its a dollar general store now
    Treasure City! This place was awesome when I was a kid. Pinball and Icees in the front area and a staff of uninterested teenagers who could care less if played with the toys on the floor. Its a church now!!

Comment

• kept back
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 2, 2002

I remember going to Venture to get Mego's, and now the whole chain is out of business. There was an Osco that I also used to pick up the occasional figure from. i believe the entire Osco chain has gone under and been bought out. Also got 'em from Montgomery Wards. Wards is also out of business. The moral of the story? Sell Megos or you will go out of business.
      Of all the souls I have encountered his was the most...human.

Comment

• brannon86
        Museum Super Collector
        • Jul 20, 2007

K-Mart

I would have loved to have the original Blue Light from the old original K-Mart store. That would be trip to have that from back in the day...

Comment

• livnxxxl
          Megoholic RocketScientist
          • Oct 23, 2007

Sears - Crestwood, MO - The last I checked the store was still there minus all of the really cool toys like Mego though.

Ventures - Gone with the wind

K-Mart's - Kind of spotty here and there. Mostly disapearing as more and more all the time as did Venture. Thanks to Wally World.

Dolgin's - Gone, but not forgotten. I believe the building became a Service Merchandise which is also gone for some time now. Both of which sold Mego once upon a time. Now the building is a Old Navy ee gads!!
          Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• ZICA
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            Howard's: Became a Big Lots. Lasted like that for about 20 years. Now it's a furniture store.

The local Sears catalog store closed up years ago. It's been various things, but now it's a flower shop.

Chris
            Are you from Cynthina, KY because that's exactly what happened to the Howard's that was located there? I'm in Falmouth and remember going to Howard's but most of my toy shopping was done in Newport or Cincinnati.

Comment

• mitchedwards
              Mego Preservation Society
              • May 2, 2003

Murphys-flattened by a tornado in 73, rebuilt. Closed late 70s and demolished.

Sears.... Moved and store demolished

K-Mart, closed and Walmart moved in.

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• VintageMike
                Permanent Member
                • Dec 16, 2004

Let's see..Technically this includes Star Wars as well. I had more SW overall so it will help me add more to this.

Sears: Still there but they I don't think they sell toys anymore

Toy & Sport Warehouse: A local place which was I can only desribe as one th ebest toy stores EVER for me. Space being used for some kind of pet store now.

Service Merchandise: Space being used for a Modell's now.

Alexander's: Demolished and and Ikea (one of the 3 largest out there I believe) was put up where it used to be.

K-Mart: Still there

Consumer's Distributing: I think the space was used for Radio shack but I'm a bit sketchy on that as it's been a while since I been to that shopping center. It was located in the same shopping center as Bradlee's.

Toys R' Us: Still there

Bradlee's: Space being used for a Kohl's now.

KB Toys: Still there (actually the same mall as Sears) but who knows for how long.

I guess a good amount are still around. Since I don;t buy new tiys though (other than video games) I don't really go to any o fthese places anymore. I remember a while back they had retro packaged Star Wars figures at the KB and it was pretty cool.
                Last edited by VintageMike; Feb 13, '08, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• fumetti
                  • Feb 12, 2008

Only remember buying them at two stores.

K-Mart 1 = still there. No Megos tho...

S-Mart 2 = gone many years ago. Now there's a Sears in its place.

Comment

• QDOGG
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jan 13, 2007

I grew up in a little town in western New York called Silver Creek. Most of my Megos came from Sears in Buffalo, it's still there all modern and such. Also I use to go to this strip- mall in Dunkirk, NY, they had a Ames that carried Megos. The original strip mall is gone, there is a new strip- mall there, but no toystores! But probaly the coolest way I got Megos was from the Jewel-T guy. They were this delivey outfit the had these rose colored delivery trucks that came to your house. They mostly had things like Amway and tupperware but they also carried some toys. I got a Fighting Yank and some POTA from the Jewel-T guy. Not sure what ever happened to Jewel-T, if they went out of business or became something else!

Comment

• livnxxxl
                      Megoholic RocketScientist
                      • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by QDOGG
                      I grew up in a little town in western New York called Silver Creek. Most of my Megos came from Sears in Buffalo, it's still there all modern and such. Also I use to go to this strip- mall in Dunkirk, NY, they had a Ames that carried Megos. The original strip mall is gone, there is a new strip- mall there, but no toystores! But probaly the coolest way I got Megos was from the Jewel-T guy. They were this delivey outfit the had these rose colored delivery trucks that came to your house. They mostly had things like Amway and tupperware but they also carried some toys. I got a Fighting Yank and some POTA from the Jewel-T guy. Not sure what ever happened to Jewel-T, if they went out of business or became something else!
                      Jewel-T is also quite a collectible today. I hope that you had a chance to get some of the really good pieces as they are worth a good amount these days.
                      Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• Captain
                        Fighting the good fight!
                        • Jun 17, 2001

K-mart was mowed down after they moved out of Canada. A drugstore and Spa-lady sit there now.
                        Woolco became a Wal-Mart (sniff')
                        Tops in toys is now an American Outfitters, but it was the Marlborough Mall Security Department office for years.
                        Sears....well, as Brian mentioned, the store is still there, but the toy department sucks.
                        Consumers distributing...went under years ago. They were in the same little mall the K-Mart was in, and a barber shop and liquor store now stands where they once did.

Man this thread is depressing!
                        "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• monkey tennis
                          "Kiss my face."
                          • Jun 8, 2007

My Mum & Dad used to buy our Mego's and Smurfs at
                          Woolworths - it's still there (doesn't sell Mego anymore)
                          And
                          Gibbons - It burnt down and became a trendy wine bar.
                          "I've just bought a house. It's got a Buck Rogers Toilet. One yank, all gone!"

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎