Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Invisible Girl and the dreaded Grey Head?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XXXPHOENIX
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 26, 2008

My carded IG has grey head...while her boxed counterpart is still perfect.
    I read on Holcomb book that at a certain moment MEgo changed the material used for head...in worse. The plastic used for the heads of later figures is low quality.
    Federico

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Oddly enough, my Reed is gray, and Sue is a nice tan. I really need a new Reed head.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• luclin999
        Museum Patron
        • Oct 27, 2011

Personally I have always felt that the "zombie" effect on the later carded Megos was due to a combination of the vinyl used for the heads and the plastic that was used to make the bubbles on the cards.

Basically, polymers would leech out of the plastic bubble and migrate to the heads causing the discoloration. So if you have a loose figure that was removed from the card early enough there shouldn't be much likelihood of it becoming one of the Walking Dead today.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by luclin999
          Personally I have always felt that the "zombie" effect on the later carded Megos was due to a combination of the vinyl used for the heads and the plastic that was used to make the bubbles on the cards.

Basically, polymers would leech out of the plastic bubble and migrate to the heads causing the discoloration. So if you have a loose figure that was removed from the card early enough there shouldn't be much likelihood of it becoming one of the Walking Dead today.
          That's incorrect. If that were the case, you wouldn't see grey heads on the larger boxed figures whose windows are made of different material than the bubbles used on cards, and the discoloration would be limited to the contact areas, similar to melt marks.
          The type of discoloration seen in Mego heads is a result of improper temperature during the dyeing process. The dye doesn't mix and/or bond properly with the vinyl creating a chemical instability which allows the dye to migrate away from the surface (greying) or leech out of the surface (residue) depending on whether the dye is organic or inorganic.

Comment

• jayraytee
            Career Member
            • May 27, 2011

I had a Reed that I bought at Childrens Palace in like the late 1980s, it was carded and I think on a European card if I remember correctly. I removed it from the card when I bought it and it started Greying about in the last year or two. I had kind of wondered if it had anything to do with how I stored it, my collection was in a climate controlled storage unit for a while when we moved and it seemed to Grey within a year after that. May be totally coincidence. I also had a huge box of 1970s Star Wars figures that started to get slimey and sticky as if the plastic was breaking down. And a few Super Powers figures that did the same thing.
            My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• VintageMike
              Permanent Member
              • Dec 16, 2004

I also have a 1979 US carded version (very hard to come by though) and the head is fine.

Comment

• captact
                King of Super Queens!
                • Aug 19, 2007

I bought my Invisible Girl right off the shelf back in 78 in the box version along with Mr. Fantastic MIB. Never removed them from their boxes. Once i read this review on IG zombies,..I quickly checked out my sealed ones,,....guess what?...... Mr. Fantastic hasnt faded at all,....while IG is a ZOMBIE!! Even sealed in her box, and not on a card,..she went zombie,....so this proves that not only some sealed carded IG's turn grey,..but even if boxed they do too!
                Last edited by captact; Mar 19, '14, 12:26 AM.

Comment

• captact
                  King of Super Queens!
                  • Aug 19, 2007

Weird!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

I've also gone grey over the years, so I don't blame her...
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Relic
                      Banned
                      • Jun 24, 2012

Blonde women in blue spandex body suits can make anyone turn grey.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎