Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

Caller ID is your best bet. Most of the time it tells you who's calling. Only drawback is when you get an "unknown name and number" message. Even those I tend to ignore.

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

>I guess telemarkers that you can hang up on are better than door to door salemen from back in the day that used to be knocking on your door all the time.

I get both... in astounding amounts. Because of this, I've found a few good ways to deal with them:

-"I'm sorry; I just started University and have no extra money."
      -"Gomen kudasai. Bokuga, Eigo wakarimasen. Anatawa Nippongo dekimasuka?"
      -For door to door folks, I wait 'til they finish their sphiel, and start mine for Recruitment. Then I hand them an enlistment form. (I have a stack of 'em by the door.)

Don C.

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
        Stays Crunchy in Milk
        • Aug 2, 2004

The first couple of years that I worked at home I got about 2 calls a day (Before the no call lists) My work can be mindless repetition so I would play along and mess with them. My favorite telemarketer was Olan Mills Photography.

Once I asked, "You know how some people believe that it you have your picture taken it steals your soul?"
        Telemarketer answers, "Yes, I've heard of that."
        "Do you think it's true?"
        "No, I personally don't believe that?"
        "... Why?"
        "Um... uh... Well, because it takes you so long to get your soul."
        "How long does it take?"
        "Well... at least 9 months."
        "Nine months? Oh, I get it. Well, I'm not so sure if it steals your soul or not. so I'm not going to have my picture taken until I'm sure."
        "Uh... are you sure?"
        "Yeah, I wouldn't want to lose my soul over a free 8x10, would you?"
        "... uh, no."

I've got about a dozen great telemarketer stories. It almost makes me wish I didn't have the no call list... almost.
        Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• Adam West
          Museum CPA
          • Apr 14, 2003

Originally posted by mitchedwards
          You could drop your land line and just have a Cel. Telemarketers cant call you on it
          Wrong...I get telemarketing calls on my cell phone all the time. They are usually in Spanish and are a recorded message. Irks me since I purchase cell phone cards and use what I need rather than a monthly plan so they are wasting my minutes to check my voicemail.

There are many loopholes in the do not call list. I have caller id and simply don't pick up the phone if is a number that I do not recognize.

If you do want to get back at a telemarketer and have the time, talk their ear off and get really excited about their product. Keep them on for as long as possible...and then tell them you don't want it at the end and hang up.

For junk mail, rip up the contents and send it back to them in their prepaid envelope.
          "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
          ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• ramsey37
            • Jun 18, 2001

I do that too!

Originally posted by Adam West
            For junk mail, rip up the contents and send it back to them in their prepaid envelope.
            I've been doing that one for years. Sometimes it takes the sender awhile to catch on, but eventually they get the message and stop sending me solicitations
            George

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

>For junk mail, rip up the contents and send it back to them in their prepaid envelope.

I saw a comedian who suggested using the prepaid envelopes to send different companies all them fast food cupons you get in the mail...

Don C.

Comment

• tmthor
                God of Knock-offs
                • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by mitchedwards
                You could drop your land line and just have a Cel. Telemarketers cant call you on it
                Right now they can't but it does come up every couple of years just like internet taxes

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎