X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoCapnMike
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 22, 2012

Why can't this mystery be solved?

Having poked around on the site for a while now and being active on the forums for a few months, it surprises me to find that the Mystery of the Mystery Mego Man has not been solved. I see so many other oddities that are known about these figures and this just plain boggles me.

This may be a dumb question and already covering ground that has likely been covered, but I am curious with the many interviews I see on the site, was the question of the Mystery Man ever put to any former employees of Mego during an interview? Somebody, somewhere out there had a hand in putting this figure together. They have to know something. Safe to guess that more than one person along the way literally put these together on the assembly line. Or in the upstairs office of the factory or something.

Having read the various theories surrounding this figure, I would be most likely to assume he was a proposed Blue Thunder figure. This could explain the unique jumpsuit quite easily. However, why would a type 1 body be used in the early 80's? Also, to save on the cost of producing a new uniform, why not use something on hand that was already made and possibly closer to the flight suits on Blue Thunder: The POTA Astronaut jumpsuit?

The next plausible theory to me is that when Mego was going down, this was just an attempt to sell off the remaining product on hand and built a figure with random spare parts. But again, why a new jumpsuit? Why would type 1 bodies be so readily available at that time period? This theory would make a lot more sense if he were on a type 2 body instead. Also, if they were just selling off remaining parts, it would stand to reason that more variations of this figure would exist, such as a Superman head or a Beau Duke head. And if just parts on hand, why the different paint job (eyes) on the Bruce Wayne head? Seems like it would be the same as an existing version.

To me those seem the most plausible popular theories. But I would suggest something like this:

As Mego begins the transition from metal rivets to the plastic pins, many figures were still produced until a certain point (as we know with some figures being found on this card or that one indicating the time frame they were made). But at some point, while they still had a large stock of these Type 1s, the plug is pulled on that and all figures are to be on Type 2 bodies from then on. From there, perhaps the remaining stock was sold off to other toy companies just to liquidate the old bodies. Perhaps some unpainted or maybe only partially painted excess Bruce Wayne heads were sold off as well along with random other accessory pieces (boots, helmets belts, etc). Now whatever company purchased these items may have just packaged the existing pieces together and packaged them as a pilot/astronaut figure after making some kind of suit for him so he would not be an exact Mego copy of another figure. This could explain the variations I have seen with this figure of having or not having a belt while still packaged. Perhaps they ran out of belts purchased from Mego. This would for the most part explain the consistency with this mystery figure. If some nickel and dime company put something out there like this, they might try to keep the figure pretty much the same across the board. A similar idea along these lines could also be, a Mego employee simply walks out one day with a couple of boxes of parts. Maybe sells them to somebody else a few years later and somehow they get a limited release on the market through flea markets or gas stations or whatever.

Anyway, just my two cents. I would love to know if any former Mego employees have been asked about this or not. While I am surely beating a dead horse on the forum, I would love to see what other theories and or evidence for them may be out there.
    Looking for:

--Lion Rock "Mr Rock's" shoes/ boots (these may also be the same as the lion rock monster line boots)

--Mystery Astronaught
  • josephcardone
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 10, 2010

I recently saw a POTA Astronaut on Ebay with the Mystery Man outfit (around october). I bid on him but did not win. It could just be someone put it with him or he originally came like that. This guy really is a mystery. For some reason, I think I remember this figure being sold at odd lot (or similar type store) in Manhattan around 1982 or 1983. That is all that I know about him. I have one though with his helmet - he is a really cool looking figure

Comment

• MegoCapnMike
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 22, 2012

That is interesting. Everything about the mystery figure points to him being distributed somewhere in the early 80s. This doesn't make sense though with his type 1 body. I am starting to wonder if my theory posted above may not be too far off track though. Just poking through some other places on the web site I found a section mentioning "Captain Eagle". I'll put the link below. But this isn't far off from my theory on the mystery man. The years are way off when MM seems to have started surfacing though. But in Eagle's picture, it looks like he could even be a type 1 body (hard to tell if his wrists show metal or plastic pins). But given his history/story, it is totally possible this might be where the MM came from. Anyone have an Eagle figure for comparison?

Also worth mentioning: Captain Eagle was sold in his own "poly bag" as well. Plus, look at his boots and belt. The boots appear to be the same as MM. While I understand not all MM came with a belt, I have seen pictures of at least one sealed with a belt such as the one shown on Captain Eagle. Food for thought. I know this mystery can be solved...

link to info on Captain Eagle

Last edited by MegoCapnMike; Jan 13, '13, 4:17 AM.
      Looking for:

--Lion Rock "Mr Rock's" shoes/ boots (these may also be the same as the lion rock monster line boots)

--Mystery Astronaught

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

My "hypothesis" on Mystery is close to yours.

I've had one for a few years. The T1 body is most likely salvaged remains from the transition to T2.

The Blue nylon suit was a newer material than the Astronaut by about a decade, which probably made it a cheaper and easier source. Considering how badly it's cut, it fits like a garbage bag due to the crappy elastic ankles. It also struck me as a material you could use to line camping tents with.

As for the head, it was the go-to generic guy - Tex Willer, Jet Jungle - that seems to have replaced Action Jackson. Even though it was Bruce Wayne, Mego skirted the issue by removing the neck stamp and changing the color. In case of Tex, it was an eye change like Mystery.

IMO - he was supposed to be an overseas figure, like Jet. Maybe a backdoor way to capitalize on Blue Thunder. He was not a mass consumer product, and certainly not made for US shelf space by 1983.

I don't think Mego went after the Thunder license, as that was an R movie, and those were not considered viable toy lines until the early 90's.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I`ve asked every former mego employee I've interviewed over the past 13 years doing this. Nothing tangible.

The eighties theory is incorrect, I know this because I encountered a collector/historian who dated all of his purchases, he clearly marked the MM with 1977 as I recall. I have a document of this somewhere. Obviously, there was a warehouse find in the 1980s and they were closed out by Big Red's at that time but that doesn't mean they were manufactured then.

As for him being an afterthought item being produced to sell unsold outfits ala Reverse Captain Patch or Captain Eagle, this is highly likely. I would bet money he was not produced by Mego at all.

I've often thought it was possible he was used to sell some sort of a generic blow molded vehicle like a plane, helicopter or a race car in department stores and these were just the extras from that endeavor. John Bonavita dubbed him an astronaut which is fun but I think he's supposed to be a pilot.

In the late 1980s, I came across a whole wall of helicopters piloted by Mego Dukes of Hazzard and Black Hole 3 3/4" figures. I've never found one again in 20 years of toy hunting.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

'77. That's interesting.

It could mean what you're putting forth, considering Mego declared bankruptcy by what, 82/83?

So you got some guy in Hong Kong with a bunch of neeked RC Bruce Waynes and other bits-n-pieces sitting in a warehouse with no ownership...

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by hedrap
              '77. That's interesting.

It could mean what you're putting forth, considering Mego declared bankruptcy by what, 82/83?

So you got some guy in Hong Kong with a bunch of neeked RC Bruce Waynes and other bits-n-pieces sitting in a warehouse with no ownership...
              I think what you've got is some abandoned or ill gotten tooling. Mego didn't use the type 1 body by that point, nor did they use the Bruce Wayne head . The AJ helmet and boot tooling were commonly used in knock offs (still with the Mego name inside), all of that stuff was created prior to them owning a factory.

So what I'm putting forth is, it was produced unrelated to Mego.

Not the most romantic concept in the world, certainly not as cool as "rejected Astronaut from POTA" but after years of "I don't know what that is" from people who remember lots of little details. I'm leaning towards it.

Comment

• Duncan
                Museum focus-groupie
                • Jun 27, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                Not the most romantic concept in the world, certainly not as cool as "rejected Astronaut from POTA" but after years of "I don't know what that is" from people who remember lots of little details. I'm leaning towards it.
                Yeah, I'd buy that. It's hard to believe that no former employees know anything about a product that was produced, even if distribution was limited.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

So he's pretty much like the brown hair Uncle Jesse?

Comment

• MegoCapnMike
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 22, 2012

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                    So he's pretty much like the brown hair Uncle Jesse?
                    I have seen both versions of the figure but didn't know there was a story there. I thought it was just a weird painting variation. What's the skinny?
                    Looking for:

--Mystery Astronaught

Comment

• MegoCapnMike
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 22, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
                      I think what you've got is some abandoned or ill gotten tooling. Mego didn't use the type 1 body by that point, nor did they use the Bruce Wayne head . The AJ helmet and boot tooling were commonly used in knock offs (still with the Mego name inside), all of that stuff was created prior to them owning a factory.

So what I'm putting forth is, it was produced unrelated to Mego.

I agree. I think it was something like this. I am curious though, with no MM to see in person, I have to ask, is there anything on him that does actually say Mego? I know the accessories likely do but I mean the body itself. Does it say Mego? And the Bruce Wayne head, weren't there legitimate versions of it that did not have the Mego markings on the back?

It is interesting to hear that the jumpsuit seems to be of a cheaper lesser quality over what Mego typically produced. Tends to support the "not produced by Mego" theory.

I would love to get my hands on one of these some day, just for the fun of it. Not sure why, but this figure just bugs the crap out of me. It has ever since I first heard about it lol.
                      Looking for:

--Mystery Astronaught

Comment

• josephcardone
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jun 10, 2010

Here is a picture of the one that I have There are no markings but he is on a standard T1 Mego body. For some reason the unrelated to mego idea sounds like a good one!

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

I'd say the head is a new run, the eye detail isn't there. It's basically just blue dots.

Comment

• josephcardone
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jun 10, 2010

This is him with a Bruce Wayne head for color comparison - it is a real Bruce Wayne head with correct color - I bought him on here

Don't know if this helps with anything but just thought it might be fun to look at

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Photo jives with mine.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎