X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddgaff1132
    Persistent Member
    • Oct 3, 2007

Mego "PLAY" Idea!?!?!?!

Yeah... I had no idea where to post this. So I put it here. Has any member here ever gotten into the D&D gaming??? Personally, I got as far as Melee types but nothing to elaborate. Anyway. Think about D&D,,, But with Mego's. I was remembering the Top's Super Hero cards from back in the 90's that had the hero's stats on the back. I think these card might have had some kinda game connection.? This and other data resources are your character stats.
    So instead of using little figurines during RPG. How cool would it be to substitute an 8" Mego instead. Of course this means nothing if you dislike RPG's or are unable to get any number of people together to play.
    But man this would be fun to watch or do at Mego Meet.
    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
    MEGO MOTORS
  • groovedirk
    • Dec 18, 2011

I think it's a great idea. You do need to pick a RPG system/theme that ties in to what pieces/gear you own. No good doing D&D if you mainly have guns and such...But I would love to do it. Even if you didn't move the character around but just had it in front of you as a large scale Avatar....

Things like Skylanders use that idea...the character doesn't move or anything. It's just an avatar for your in-game character.

Dirk

Comment

• DocDrako
      Formerly Doc Drako
      • Nov 11, 2004

Using a "game" guide I found on a GI Joe site, I used to have a "play" system for my action figures. When I'd play, if I wanted something unexpected to deal with, I'd roll a die. The number rolled referred to a result on my "chaos" list, which gave me unexpected things to deal with. Things like a life-threatening accident, a character being killed, etc. It made for some fun 'play'.

There was also the "fight system", where I'd roll to see who would win each fight. Making it happen was all up to me, but staying true to the roll of the die made the adventures exciting because you never knew what might happen. Even the hero could lose a fight, or even get killed. Of course, I mostly continued where I left off, telling one huge story, so death was a major deal. Losing a main character always sucked, but they could come back in later storylines.

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• ddgaff1132
        Persistent Member
        • Oct 3, 2007

Sadly, in my area of the world; D&D type gaming was quickly shunned as uber-geeky. It wasn't until later when I went to Art School that I was able to get in on some miner gaming as I stated earlier in this post. But now that RPG have become computerized, Look at all the people who are into it?
        Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
        MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• groovedirk
          • Dec 18, 2011

Believe it or not Mego was thinking of doing EXACTLY this. Back in 1982 (several months before they declared bankruptcy) I was working at the Compleat Strategist, then (and probably now) the largest RPG/Wargaming store in the country, when Mary Abrams from Mego came in looking for role playing games. I ended up helping him and he told me they were thinking about putting together a game system using toys. A mix of RPG and Action Figures. He bought a stack of games and then invited me to his office where I got a big bag of samples. Unfortunately a month or so later the idea went up in smoke as the company declared bankruptcy. But had it happened Mego would have been 20 years ahead of HeroClix and the like....

The worst thing (for me) was for a month I went around High School telling everybody I was going to be working at a toy company for the summer, only to come back in the fall with a lame "it didn't happen"....

Dirk

Comment

• MegoCapnMike
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 22, 2012

I have not role played in a while and not regularly in years. However, I would suggest a game system that was out a good 10-15 years back called "GURPS" Which I believe stood for Generic Universal Role Playing System (or something like it). Anyway, it was all set up so you could create any type of game imaginable. Space crew characters (think Trek or Wars) could easily be put into the same game as Superheroes or D&D like characters. Western and detective books were available as well as countless others. Not sure if the company that made it is still around and producing, but you could always scout ebay too. Just a thought.
            Looking for:

--Lion Rock "Mr Rock's" shoes/ boots (these may also be the same as the lion rock monster line boots)

--Mystery Astronaught

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎