Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013 Urban Safari Hunting Hauls (Garage Sale, Thrift Stores, Craigs, Rummage...)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den82
    Career Member
    • Jan 17, 2011

OK. I only went out Saturday, but it was really good.

First one was a church rummage sale. I got to it before they opened the gates. The best thing I napped there was a $10 bag with a GI JOE SOTW German Solider w/ jacket, bunch of Joe clothing and accessories and one of the vintage metal footlockers (not to mention one modern 12" Joe).

Next was better. Random garage sale stop. Looked crappy. So crappy, I wasn't even going to stop. But I figured why not? I asked if they had any old video game stuff. No. I then casually told them I also look for old action figures from the 1970s like Star Wars, GI JOE, etc. The guy said no. But then the old lady told me to wait one second because she thought she had a box of stuff like that in the basement. She came out with all of this:

It's taking a MUCH needed bath. The Flash Gordon is almost complete. The CHIP is totally complete (broken leg though). Mego Trek clothing, accessories. Most of the Lone Ranger stuff looks to be there and there was also very oddly a GI JOE German pistol! Sadly a lot of the Lone Ranger clothing was shot. I mean, looked mint, but fell apart just touching it.

$10 for the whole box.

SDC19858.jpg

SDC19859.jpg

SDC19860.jpg

Not a million dollar score, but for $10? Beautiful. I love this stuff, it proves two things: This stuff is STILL out there and secondly: if you don't see it, ask. You never know what people will come out of the house with.

Comment

• Den82
      Career Member
      • Jan 17, 2011

This was in the box. The sword is just something I had already, but it looks kinda like the one he came with.

SDC19862.jpg

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

nothing major today but I did find a minty Mego Tarzan flesh colored body suit in a box of happy meal crap, for a nickle. i actually thought it was CTVT until i got in the car and looked more closely and saw the Mego tag. My Tarzan finally has his flesh

Comment

• Den82
          Career Member
          • Jan 17, 2011

Everyone so often I will see something that is not toys or video games and buy it.

This weekend it was these:

SDC19883.jpg

The house was packed with people all looking for that hidden gem, yet they were right under their noses and nobody even looked twice. I bought them for $20. More than I wanted to spend, but they're currently $41 with fee shipping and another five days left.

Comment

• shazam7208
            Career Member
            • Oct 28, 2008

Great stuff...goes to show you should always tell people what your looking, never know what they might pull out! What a great price too! Congrats!

Comment

• mikeMc6
              Persistent Member
              • Mar 24, 2012

This will be my new favorite thread!
              INEPT VINTAGE WISENHEIMER
              WANTS: Thrashed Riddler Box, RM mask (beater ok) ...and a pony

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

This weekend I hit part of the "400 Mile Yard Sale" that runs Highway 68...I found absolutely nothing of note. I swear...this state is BONE dry.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• johnnystorm
                  Hot Child in the City
                  • Jul 3, 2008

Not just yours, Chris, PA is about the same. Saturday I hit three community yard sales, over 150 sales total, and after an entire day of looking I came up with NADA. Not even a single loose action figure! I swear though , when I finally figure out how to rule the world using baby clothes and little tykes cars...also, I never want to hear how PBS has no money, based on the sheer amount of Elmo stuff that's out there.

Comment

• mikeMc6
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 24, 2012

Ok so with a newborn I've hardly been out but I'm starting to again. Below are three pictures of recent scores grouped by location. Stripped down spider car $5 at the local american legion flea market, made my day if not week. The group of megos was from a toy collector, knew his stuff, I paid a lot so I'm keeping one or two pieces and selling the rest here on mm to recoup the high price I paid. Third picture is of a beatles 2nd state "butcher" album I picked up a few days ago. My wife needed me for chores, kids had to be driven to school, work needed me too so i said to myself, "I can only got to ONE garage sale today" and I pored thru the listings on craigslist on newspaper (there are typically 100-150 yard sales a weekend during high season out here in a fifteen mile radius- no joke! Anyway I had a good gut feeling about this one sale, dropped my seven and nine year old off at school ten minutes early ("don't get abducted!")* and sped to sale 35 minutes before posted time. Record guy was there ahead of me, he was flipping thru front of box I thought screw it I will flip from the back of the box this is my only stop and there it was......
                    Take a good look at this record, with original shrink wrap around it, if you see this record at a garage sale it may be the infamous Butcher beatles record that was covered over...on the right hand side you can BARELY make out the black triangle of ringos turtleneck that was pasted over (look at pic and see if you can see it. I can!). I sold a beat up one last summer for $480 and this one is NM! If I'm lucky I may break a $1000 or more on ebay. I Could buy an alter ego (wish!) but its all going to pay off household bills. Oh well!**

*There are volunteers who watch them around back as they wait in line to enter school at opening
                    **And this ain't bragging. I have otherwise been having a HORRIBLE garage sale season. But I am excited to show off my high and low picks on this thread in the future!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by mikeMc6; Jun 12, '13, 12:54 AM.

Comment

• mikeMc6
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 24, 2012

Also, in my experience I steer clear of community garage sales and similar. they often have neighborhood only sneak peeks the night before, same thing with muti-family sales...best stuff gets poached before they open by the sellers themselves. Anyway...

Comment

• Den82
                        Career Member
                        • Jan 17, 2011

A few years ago, I found Yesterday and Today at a yard sale. My hands started to shake. My voice started to crack. I paid the guy his $1.00 asking price and practically RAN out of the sale.

This was before, I found out there was another pressing of the album WITHOUT the butch cover underneath.

Major let down, but so funny.

Today's big score were these (plus some other games) from a church thrift store I was NOT going to stop at and made a last minute decision to just stop in. The prices are mine as I am putting them in my store. What I paid for them was absolutely amazing.

Today was all about Gameboy. I made two Gameboy scores in two different places.
                        SDC19936.jpg

Also got a weird toy, something I never saw before. It's a game/figure of Pele (Soccer player) from Coleco made in 1974 I think. I am repairing his arm though now as it was broken.

Comment

• mikeMc6
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 24, 2012

Work stuff Friday and take my daughter to swim meet Saturday. I got nuthin this weekend. And I may skip my Sunday Flea market cuz its father's day. Kiddies and wife may have other plans for me. Spoils will end up in someone else's trunk this week!

Comment

• megocrazy
                            Museum Trouble Maker
                            • Feb 18, 2007

Huge score on the gameboy.
                            It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                              Banned
                              • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by mikeMc5
                              Ok so with a newborn I've hardly been out but I'm starting to again. Below are three pictures of recent scores grouped by location. Stripped down spider car $5 at the local american legion flea market, made my day if not week. The group of megos was from a toy collector, knew his stuff, I paid a lot so I'm keeping one or two pieces and selling the rest here on mm to recoup the high price I paid. Third picture is of a beatles 2nd state "butcher" album I picked up a few days ago. My wife needed me for chores, kids had to be driven to school, work needed me too so i said to myself, "I can only got to ONE garage sale today" and I pored thru the listings on craigslist on newspaper (there are typically 100-150 yard sales a weekend during high season out here in a fifteen mile radius- no joke! Anyway I had a good gut feeling about this one sale, dropped my seven and nine year old off at school ten minutes early ("don't get abducted!")* and sped to sale 35 minutes before posted time. Record guy was there ahead of me, he was flipping thru front of box I thought screw it I will flip from the back of the box this is my only stop and there it was......
                              Take a good look at this record, with original shrink wrap around it, if you see this record at a garage sale it may be the infamous Butcher beatles record that was covered over...on the right hand side you can BARELY make out the black triangle of ringos turtleneck that was pasted over (look at pic and see if you can see it. I can!). I sold a beat up one last summer for $480 and this one is NM! If I'm lucky I may break a $1000 or more on ebay. I Could buy an alter ego (wish!) but its all going to pay off household bills. Oh well!**

*There are volunteers who watch them around back as they wait in line to enter school at opening
                              **And this ain't bragging. I have otherwise been having a HORRIBLE garage sale season. But I am excited to show off my high and low picks on this thread in the future!
                              Nice score on the Y & T LP. Definitely is a 2nd state butcher. If you ever want to trade for some Megos or any other vintage figures of other lines let me know if you have a want list. I probably can fill it. I was the table that had 3 of the Alter Egos on it at the Meet this year...as well as some other rare pieces.

Comment

• mikeMc6
                                Persistent Member
                                • Mar 24, 2012

Oh the tears that were shed tonight! Thank you Blue Meanie but I promised my wife the profits will go to household bills! Sob! To think I could have traded this $2 garage sale find for an alter ego! Check out my epic long listing on ebay. I'm littleovercoat of Vancouver WA. Type in Beatles Butcher stereo and you should find it. I already declined a $1000 offer, hope I don't screw this up. Our family van is unexpectedly in the shop!

I truly was devastated that I couldn't trade. My goal is to find my fourth, yes fourth!, butcher album and get it in your hands Mr. Meanie!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎