X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Airdave817
    Satellite Monitor Duty
    • May 31, 2007

With Great Power...

Just got my monthly fix from DCBS yesterday.

Ultimate Spider-Man goodness with Johnny Storm, Liz Allen, Bobby Drake, Kitty Pryde, Kong, Peter and MJ working their way through Harry's death and hangin' out at the beach. Very cool ending to that story. I like Ultimate Spider-Man...

After finishing that, I read through the new mini-series With Great Power...which focuses on the brief period that Peter was a pro-wrestler. The panels between the spider-bite and Uncle Ben's death at the hands of The Sandman - * I mean that unnamed (Joe Chill) gunman * who had robbed the wrestling box office receipts.

If you're a Spider-Man fan, I think you might enjoy it. It captures everybody pretty well - Peter, Flash, Liz, Uncle Ben and Aunt May.

But the whole point is seeing Spider-man the pro-wrestling sensation. Nice stuff there. You can see that Peter is so eager to not be a "loser" anymore that he is just climbing up higher and higher for the eventual fall we all know comes when...well, you know.

I'm not the type to "Siskel & Ebert" the writing and art - but, the cover doesn't do the inside justice. Spider-man looks very cool, and so does everybody else. Not really sure about Uncle Ben. I always saw him in the old pages as heavier, with squinty eyes and without a mustache.

I don't really look at cover prices anymore because of the 40% discount that DCBS provides. This might be one to pick up or wait for the trade.
    Shameless self-promotion -
    Earth-Dave
    KROC-FM
    Look for me as Dave Berg on Facebook!

sigpic
    "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

I haven't picked up Ultimate Spider-Man since the first couple of issues...I guess I prefer my "young" Spidey all Ditko-esque.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Airdave817
      Satellite Monitor Duty
      • May 31, 2007

Sorry if I made that a little confusing -

I got Ultimate Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man: With Great Power mini-series, together at the same time. This new five-issue mini-series is the regular, "main universe" Spider-Man.

I'm thinking that this mini-series is better than John Byrne's Spider-Man: Year One reboot...

...and I kinda liked that one, too - except that he started every issue the same way - with a kicker "flash-forward" and then backtracked to catch up.

The issue starts with the classic Ditko panels and then jumps right into the story...
      Shameless self-promotion -
      Earth-Dave
      KROC-FM
      Look for me as Dave Berg on Facebook!

sigpic
      "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Wait, Joe Chill killed the Waynes and Ben Parker?? He's a dimension hopping parent asassin!!
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• jds1911a1
          Alan Scott is the best GL
          • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by thunderbolt
          Wait, Joe Chill killed the Waynes and Ben Parker?? He's a dimension hopping parent asassin!!
          yeah and Access let him do it after all dc and marvel cross over every few years now.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎