• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mefiboschet
    Career Member
    • Nov 29, 2003

Originally posted by YANOULI
    She has just listed a Bill Bixby today
    As far as i can tell it's not the same sculpt that Georg ( mefiboschet ) shrank recently.
    It is the same head!

Comment

• YANOULI
      Part-Time Timelord
      • Jan 9, 2006

Originally posted by Mefiboschet
      It is the same head!
      Really? they look slightly different to me.

Ada's Bixby

Georg's Bixby
      Last edited by YANOULI; Feb 5, '08, 5:43 PM.
      " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by ABMAC
        $25 each for unpainted resin heads, and she requires a total order of $625 in advance? I don't see that happening.

Yeah...there's NO WAY the enough of Us will ALL get together, and want the same Head.
        sigpic

Comment

• hobub
          Ghost of a Dead Indian
          • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by The Bat
          Yeah...there's NO WAY the enough of Us will ALL get together, and want the same Head.
          I'm thinking that myself. Perhaps if she realizes that there are enough interested parties though, it will be incentive enough to start offering these in 8" format. She already offers them in 12" format with no cash needed up front. I suggest you just email her your request and what you are willing to pay. What is the going rate for an unpainted cast head of 8" scale?

Comment

• hobub
            Ghost of a Dead Indian
            • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by YANOULI
            Really? they look slightly different to me.

Ada's Bixby
            Preserving Mego history today, making Mego history tomorrow.

Georg's Bixby
            http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/1/1/5/bixby.jpg
            Look at the hairline in general. There are differences. I would say it looks like it came from the same person possibly but there would be no reason to sculpt it twice. Two equally talented sculptors with the same style?

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by hobub
              I'm thinking that myself. Perhaps if she realizes that there are enough interested parties though, it will be incentive enough to start offering these in 8" format. She already offers them in 12" format with no cash needed up front. I suggest you just email her your request and what you are willing to pay. What is the going rate for an unpainted cast head of 8" scale?
              Usually about $10. $15 if it's something special.
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• hobub
                Ghost of a Dead Indian
                • Jun 18, 2001

She needs to know this. I'm sure she wants the most for her efforts but what she needs to know are two cliches I've recently learned

1: half a loaf of bread is better than no bread at all

2: what you don't make on the cucumbers, you can make on the pickles

All in all, if she offers these in 8" I believe the fan following will be large enough to keep her going for a good while. She's a hell of a sculptress! Madame Artiste!

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                  Career Member
                  • May 14, 2007

She is very good. But her Steve Austin is off. If you look the eyes don't line up. His left eye is too high and it's not his "arching of the eyebrows" look either.

BTW: her pricing is dead-on for this type of work. I've priced many sculptors in the toy field at Wonderfest. Even the ones who don't work for toy companies pricing starts at $200 - $400 per head mego scale or not.

Bob

Comment

• REMOVED
                    • Apr 19, 2024

She's a professional artist. I don't think 25 is unreasonable for a head, given the small market she's working in. And I think 180 for a sculpt (what she quoted me a few months ago) is VERY reasonable if not cheap.

Comment

• Meule
                      Verbose Member
                      • Nov 14, 2004

How about letting people make suggestions for what they want the most. If enough people want the same head you have something to suggest to her.
                      There are plenty of different Batman heads out there, but what I've never seen before and would really want are Batman and Robin from the movie serials.

Batman (1943)

Batman and Robin (1949)
                      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by polyester
                        She's a professional artist. I don't think 25 is unreasonable for a head, given the small market she's working in. And I think 180 for a sculpt (what she quoted me a few months ago) is VERY reasonable if not cheap.

I agree with You Laurie...but the question still remains...will We get enough People wanting the same Sculpt to make this work? I think not. I for one, don't want a Lee Majors.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Dave Mc
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 20, 2002

I'm not quite sure why she would need 25 order for Lee Majors to make it in 8" scale. She doesn't need to re-sculpt it, just shrink it. One head sale and you break even on materials, everything after that is profit.

A NEW sculpt is a totally different animal and if the group asked for something she hadn't done before in any scale, then I could see where she would want orders up front.

As far as cost, I know James says he spends at least 16 hours on a sculpt. At least, so a cost based on a decent hourly rate would equal $300-$400 easy. Add to that the materials to cast 25 heads, plus the time it would take to pour them all, package them all, and ship them all, and it doesn't seem all that much really. At least not for quality.

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                            Career Member
                            • May 14, 2007

Originally posted by ABMAC
                            Check out Conan's eyes some time.

She exceeded your maximum by $225. That's not "dead-on" to me.
                            Conan who?

Also reread my post my dead-on pricing refers to the sculptors who do not work for major toy companies. This lady may or may not work for one, (I suspect she does, all of them freelance) but she has had more training than some of the major sculptors in the toy industry. Her pricing is dead-on for her products.

I've spoke with some of the big guns in the toy sculpting industry. The min. to sculpt a mego size head starts in the $600 to $800 range. But you are buying their name too. The $400 range is usually the starving artist level.

Bob

Originally posted by Dave Mc
                            I'm not quite sure why she would need 25 order for Lee Majors to make it in 8" scale. She doesn't need to re-sculpt it, just shrink it. One head sale and you break even on materials, everything after that is profit.

A NEW sculpt is a totally different animal and if the group asked for something she hadn't done before in any scale, then I could see where she would want orders up front.

As far as cost, I know James says he spends at least 16 hours on a sculpt. At least, so a cost based on a decent hourly rate would equal $300-$400 easy. Add to that the materials to cast 25 heads, plus the time it would take to pour them all, package them all, and ship them all, and it doesn't seem all that much really. At least not for quality.
                            The rate James gave you is about the going rate.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                              The DarkSide Customizer
                              • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by Meule
                              How about letting people make suggestions for what they want the most. If enough people want the same head you have something to suggest to her.
                              There are plenty of different Batman heads out there, but what I've never seen before and would really want are Batman and Robin from the movie serials.

Batman (1943)

Batman and Robin (1949)

I would be down with those Thomas.
                              & A David HasselHoff Head as well.
                              ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• The Bat
                                Batman Fanatic
                                • Jul 14, 2002

Let's start the Poll!

One for Sean Connery as Bond!!!!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰