X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Big Jim Italy 1979

Big Jim was an international sensation in 1979, he just wasn't available in the country of his birth. By 1979, Big Jim was still enjoying popularity in Europe where he had gone through several changes and permutations to become a strong compeititor to the Hasbro lines based on GI Joe which was also no longer available in the United States.

This 1979 Italian catalog shows just how versatile the Big Jim brand was, he was not just the action sportsman adventurer but a James Bond like super spy, a cowboy, a soldier of fortune and a world explorer.

He was even a pirate! I think these figures are crazy cool.

Check out the 1979 Big Jim Italy Catalog here.
    Warning: It may be harmful to your wallet.

More Big Jim than you can handle!

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

The Big Jim with the masks looks like Charles Bronson from Death Wish...they even have a face with a pencil-thin mustache!!!

I still can't figure out how I grew up without ever owning a Big Jim. It was like Mattel just snubbed Cynthiana, KY or something!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

I think the most amazing aspect about Big Jim is he was all but phased out in America by 1979. And it wasn't until the early 90's that I found out he had actually enjoyed an extended life overseas. If anything, the US was probably a smaller market if you look at the life of this line. And it's burned into my brain when and how our larger scaled figures died off - Star Wars. When that movie hit and Kenner put out the 3 3/4 inch figures, everyone else lined up to follow suit. Basically anything that had come before that was deemed a dinosaur. While there were a few exceptions, the 3 3/4 became the new standard.

Comment

• ScottA
        Original Member
        • Jun 25, 2001

One of the few action figure lines I didn't own at least 1 figure of. Weird seeing how cool he is.
        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

>I still can't figure out how I grew up without ever owning a Big Jim.

I didn't have too many, because around here they were pretty expensive. (Always wanted that LazerVette....)

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I only had maybe four Big Jim items growing up, the camper, a basic Jim, Pack Jim and Torpedo Fist. I drooled at the other stuff mind you.

I think the problem was the competition for my (well my mom's) money that year, '76 had Bulletman, Atomic Man, Six Million Dollar Man, Fisher Price Adventure People, The WGSH and Star Trek. It was nuts!
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
              Moderation Engineer
              • Aug 14, 2003

I only had two accessory sets that I cobbled on to my Mego figures as best I could. One was a white ski outfit, the other a tan overcoat w/maroon pants. I don't even recall seeing figures in stores, just the accessory packs.

Comment

• knight errant00
                8 Inch Action Figure
                • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by ctc
                > (Always wanted that LazerVette....)Don C.
                You and me both, dude. I still remember the picture of that car blasting away with the Whip at the wheel and wanting in on that action!

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

The only one I ever owned as a child was Big Jack (black figure). No accessories, no clothes, (but those orange gym shorts), and since I never had a Ken, he was a dad to a family I made up to his scale out of smaller dolls.
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                    OH JES!!
                    • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy

I think the problem was the competition for my (well my mom's) money that year, '76 had Bulletman, Atomic Man, Six Million Dollar Man, Fisher Price Adventure People, The WGSH and Star Trek. It was nuts!
                    What a great time that was for action figures, My Mom was so Good to me she bought me most of those figures...she figured she bought me those I stayed out of her hair and played quietly in my room and left her alone......lol

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

I look at this stuff and think what if Mego had gone that way with Action Jackson?

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                        To Fear is Not Logical...
                        • Feb 17, 2008

I had a Big Jim and the Karate Outfit with the break away boards.
                        It's all good!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

Cool stuff!
                          Had the karate Big Jim, too... plus the camper van and the giant clam/diver accessory set.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Some of those later releases are sharp stuff--& Mattel's Max Steel has followed suit market-wise.

I never had any Big Jim figs as a kid, it was all Mego & then Star Wars, MOTU. I recall thinking the P.A.C.K was really cool, but now I think the Spy series is equally awesome.

I sure do like them now & have a small collection of early releases.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• toyhunter1970
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 24, 2020

man looking at that 1979 italian catalog we was robbed lol

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎