Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review: Lou Scheimer: Creating the Filmation Generation

Images
    I love Filmation cartoons too. I really miss their character designs.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    Blog Entries
    Great review - I'm hooked. Now if we could get some more official DVD releases to rescue me from grainy Ioffer purgatory.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post
    I'll be interested in that too. Bostwick has told his version in several places, and it sounds pretty solid, but I'm sure Scheimer has a different take on it.

Chris
    Yeah, I agree. This is one of those times when Scheimer really looks like the bad guy here, since they went to court and lost the case to Bostwick. My gut feeling is there was a personality clash after the show's staff asked Bostwick to go to the heads and ask them for similar working conditions as other shows under the Filmation umbrella. I think this probably rubbed Scheimer and company the wrong way, so they tried to get rid of Bostwick when he got hurt. Just a guess. But from everything I read, this was the only scenario that seem to make sense for the company to suddenly not want him in the production. It would be nice to hear Scheimer step up and just admit he made a mistake. Of course maybe he explains it differently. But the legal history of it would seem to support Bostwick's accounting.
    It's not how hard you hit, but how hard you can be hit and still move forward.

Images
    Yeah, from Bostwick's accounts, it seems he was basically labeled as a trouble maker for being too friendly with the crew. He also became friends with the original producer who was left the show, so he had that going against him as well.

Chris

Images
    Wait....

Dracula in space?!?! I missed out on Dracula in space?!?!?!!?!

Don C.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ctc View Post
    Wait....

Don C.
    Live action Dracula in Space. It really bothers me now.

Yeah, from Bostwick's accounts, it seems he was basically labeled as a trouble maker for being too friendly with the crew. He also became friends with the original producer who was left the show, so he had that going against him as well.
    Scheimer gives his take on the story in the book and honestly, I don't think it refutes what Bostwick is saying but it's in a different light.

Bostwick claims he was injured, Scheimer claims the agent demanded a huge raise and it was a tactic. He didn't show up to work and there were people waiting to go to work and a tight two shows a week production schedule. The network told him to act on his threat.

His friendship with the former producer (who Scheimer claims was trying to steal the business away from him) is mentioned but Scheimer claims it had no bearing in the decision. He wishes Bostwick no ill will and acknowledges that he's been blasted him for it, Scheimer believes the agent was the culprit here.

The resulting legal battle with Bostwick wanting to make public appearances as Captain Marvel, well, the character didn't belong to him so that's rather dubious to assume.

Filmation seemed to have very long relationships with it's talent, so I'm inclined to believe a lot of what is said here.

Images
    ^^^ Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks for posting Brian. I knew about the legal battle with the appearances and I always felt Filmation had a position there. But the legal battle I was referring to was between Bostwick and Filmation for firing him illegally due to his injury. Someone had been doing some home videos that day and recorded the stunt boxes collapsing and his resulting injury next to his eye. Filmation lost that case and were ordered to pay Bostwick for the entire second season plus residuals.
    It's not how hard you hit, but how hard you can be hit and still move forward.

Images
    Live action Dracula in Space. It really bothers me now.
    I don't have the book yet, but from the preview I read, I know they cover the proposed "Batman in Space" series! Again, Live-Action Batman...IN SPACE!!! You can't make this stuff up.

Chris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MIB41 View Post
    ^^^ Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks for posting Brian. I knew about the legal battle with the appearances and I always felt Filmation had a position there. But the legal battle I was referring to was between Bostwick and Filmation for firing him illegally due to his injury. Someone had been doing some home videos that day and recorded the stunt boxes collapsing and his resulting injury next to his eye. Filmation lost that case and were ordered to pay Bostwick for the entire second season plus residuals.
    Yeah it's in the book, however it's a far cry from the $700,000 Bostwick initially sued for. He got four grand through SAG arbitration because he could prove he was genuinely injured. Scheimer admits that in the book but at the time, they felt he was demanding more money.

I've read an interviewwhere Bostwick vilifies Scheimer and Prescott for the personal appearance thing, I really feel he's in the wrong with that.

I don't have the book yet, but from the preview I read, I know they cover the proposed "Batman in Space" series! Again, Live-Action Batman...IN SPACE!!! You can't make this stuff up.
    Yeah, what's even weirder is that Adam West described the plot years ago in a Starlog. It's set twenty years later and some alien kidnaps all the villians and makes then ten years younger, then Batman and Robin come out of retirement to stop them. It seemed like Filmation made several attempts to bring back West and Ward, there was even talk of the "New Adventures" having live action segments like Fat Albert.

Images
    >Live action Dracula in Space.

I still feel a personal loss....

>I really miss their character designs.

Filmation was a weird one; they had simpler designs, but would animate them more concisely. (For the ten minutes of animation they'd have....) It was the opposite of the HB method, and created it's own feel. Even when they went with more complicated esigns.... like the He-Man stuff, they used the same technique.

Don C.