• Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Review: Lou Scheimer: Creating the Filmation Generation

Review: Lou Scheimer: Creating the Filmation Generation

By Lou Scheimer and Andy Mangels

My earliest memory in this life, other than eating delicious Play Doh on Christmas morning 1971, was watching a Batman cartoon with my sister in the TV room one random morning in 1972.

The Penguin was stealing a tank and gassed a soldier, the whole thing just intrigued me and I think started me on my love affair with Batgirl but that's another story.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, Filmation hooked me at an early age. So much so that I even identified the name “Scheimer” (I dopily mispronounced it as “Schemer” until adulthood) with joy in the mid 1970s.

I cherish this Ark 2 Halloween costume.

Sure, I have love in my heart for the Kroffts and Hanna Barbera’s of this world but Filmation always remained my favourite. I never missed a Shazam!, Ark 2 or Tarzan as a kid, hell, I even regularly watched (but clearly did not grasp) Uncle Croc’s Block when it aired.

So it was pretty much a given that I’d invest in this new tome. Actually, I bought it twice by accident. What I worried about though, was how much of this was going to be new to me.

As the images in this piece suggest, I’m an ardent filmation collector and fan. I’ve bought every DVD set near and dear to me and watched the resulting documentaries many times (coincidentally, those great extras also included Scheimer and Mangels) and I even asked Mr Scheimer questions in person (he’s a nice man btw). I worried it would just be a rehash of stuff I’ve heard ad nauseum, I like to call that the “Stan Lee Situation”.

Lou signed this for me in 2006, I can't find it now. Grrr.

Fortunately, my worries were put to rest the minute the book arrived. I lost nearly an hour pouring through the information, I’m not even done reading it but I’ve seen enough to say this book is exhaustive and absolutely captivating.

Scheimer has an incredible memory of the events that shaped Filmation starting from the beginning in landing the Superman contract to the hey days of the 70s and 80s. Everything is there, from the successes, to the flops laid out in riveting detail.

Included are fun anecdotes like Charles Nelson Reily wandering the set of “Uncle Croc’s Block” in leopard print short shorts, replacement Shazam John Davie showing up for work with a moustache and a story that will never make you look at Schneider from “One Day at a Time” in the same light again.

If describing things like the creation of the animated Star Trek series weren’t enough Scheimer goes into detail on what didn’t get made, stuff like a 60s Godzilla cartoon, Metamorpho, a Marx Brothers caroon, Dracula in Space, the list goes on and on and makes you wish you grow up with those shows as well.

Also unapologetically is all the lawsuits, the acrimonious split with original Captain Marvel Jackson Bostwick, the long running suit between DC comics and Filmation that occurred over (my personal favourite) the Super 7 cartoon characters.

Honestly if you were a child between the years 1966 and 1987, you’ll find something of an interest in this book.

The later chapters delve of course into the 1980s and the huge success of programs like Fat Albert, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe and Bravestarr. My one quibble of the book is that the book’s sole colour chapter is spent on He-Man, however it’s a pretty bright marketing move as He-Man will sell a lot of these books.

In summation, I couldn't be happier with this book, it is jam packed with interesting new information on one of my favourite subjects. As a bonus, it's written in a snappy style that makes you feel that Scheimer is talking directly to you. I buy a lot of informational books such as this but I rarely read them cover to cover, Lou Scheimer: Creating the Filmation Generation is one I have trouble putting down and will likely read more than once.

Ask your local comic shop to order it, otherwise Amazon has the book for $20, which is a steal.

CONTEST!
    As I mentioned, I accidentally ordered two copies of this book for myself. I don’t plan on taking one in the tub with me so there is no need for a double. That means the second copy is up for grabs, here is the skill testing question:

What was your favourite Filmation series?

Send the answer to Brick@plaidstallions.comand I’ll draw one lucky winner out of my hat next Sunday.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

WOW! I love Filmation too. And I still pronounce it Film-Nation like I did when I was a kid. I have quite a few cartoons and live actions in my vast collection like Mission: Magic (DUH!), Fat Albert, Archie, Tarzan, both version of Batman, Star Trek, Shazam, Isis, Space Academy and more. Heck...2 weeks ago, I was even watching Uncle Croc's block! (between YouTube and my videos). And I want this book, so I will enter your contest, or order on Amazon.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Robin NY
      Museum Super Collector
      • Nov 13, 2008

I love Filmation also, it was great to be a kid when all the series were broadcast particularly all the Superhero stuff of the late sixties and thanks to Netflix Im watching all the Trek episodes

Comment

• raider5gt
        Museum Tree Cutter
        • Nov 25, 2007

I also love the Filmation cartoons,the ones I fondly remember were Star Trek Animated Series,Tarzan,Sport Billy,Bravestarr,He-man,She-Ra and Space Sentinels.

This book looks like a good read,I will have to enter the contest to see if I can win a copy.

Never stand behind a cow when it sneezes.

Comment

• Figuremod73
          That 80's guy
          • Jul 27, 2011

Filmation is my second favorite cartoon studio next to Hanna-Barbara. ( but not by much!) I'm not totally sure but theres a chance my introduction to Batman and Superheros came from The New Adventures of Batman. (1977) I would have only been around five at the time. I'm pretty sure I didnt start watching Superfriends until 1979 and then not heavily until I saw them on syndication.

I know He-Man probably isnt as popular at the Megomuseum but I like He-Man just as much as other superheros and think the cartoons are great. I really wish Blackstar would have gotten more episodes. Tarzan, I think, is the company at its best. Many of Filmations cartoons still hold up i think. Wish all the ones that havent seen the light of day on dvd would get a chance.

Havent bought this book but the amazon price is a amazing deal. Does this book start with how Filmation was formed? Scheimer and Hal Sutherland met while working on Bozo and Popeye tv cartoons for another low budget animation studio.

Comment

• Figuremod73
            That 80's guy
            • Jul 27, 2011

^^^ Lou worked on these around 1960

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

How did I miss this thread? I got a pdf preview of this from TwoMorrows, and even hopping around from chapter to chapter I could tell this would be a great read. Mangels is more or less the authority on these sorts of things, so the combination of him and the always affable and informative Scheimer is a no-brainer. I need to get this!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

I'm curious if Lou Scheimer offers any opinions on letting Jackson Bostwick go and replacing him with John Daveys in Shazam? That would be a good read right there.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

He goes into great detail about his split with Bostwick, I'm on that chapter right now.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I'll be interested in that too. Bostwick has told his version in several places, and it sounds pretty solid, but I'm sure Scheimer has a different take on it.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

I love Filmation cartoons too. I really miss their character designs.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                        Moderation Engineer
                        • Aug 14, 2003

Great review - I'm hooked. Now if we could get some more official DVD releases to rescue me from grainy Ioffer purgatory.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          I'll be interested in that too. Bostwick has told his version in several places, and it sounds pretty solid, but I'm sure Scheimer has a different take on it.

Chris
                          Yeah, I agree. This is one of those times when Scheimer really looks like the bad guy here, since they went to court and lost the case to Bostwick. My gut feeling is there was a personality clash after the show's staff asked Bostwick to go to the heads and ask them for similar working conditions as other shows under the Filmation umbrella. I think this probably rubbed Scheimer and company the wrong way, so they tried to get rid of Bostwick when he got hurt. Just a guess. But from everything I read, this was the only scenario that seem to make sense for the company to suddenly not want him in the production. It would be nice to hear Scheimer step up and just admit he made a mistake. Of course maybe he explains it differently. But the legal history of it would seem to support Bostwick's accounting.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, from Bostwick's accounts, it seems he was basically labeled as a trouble maker for being too friendly with the crew. He also became friends with the original producer who was left the show, so he had that going against him as well.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• ctc
                              Fear the monkeybat!
                              • Aug 16, 2001

Wait....

Dracula in space?!?! I missed out on Dracula in space?!?!?!!?!

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎