• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by ctc
    Wait....

Dracula in space?!?! I missed out on Dracula in space?!?!?!!?!

Don C.
    Live action Dracula in Space. It really bothers me now.

Yeah, from Bostwick's accounts, it seems he was basically labeled as a trouble maker for being too friendly with the crew. He also became friends with the original producer who was left the show, so he had that going against him as well.
    Scheimer gives his take on the story in the book and honestly, I don't think it refutes what Bostwick is saying but it's in a different light.

Bostwick claims he was injured, Scheimer claims the agent demanded a huge raise and it was a tactic. He didn't show up to work and there were people waiting to go to work and a tight two shows a week production schedule. The network told him to act on his threat.

His friendship with the former producer (who Scheimer claims was trying to steal the business away from him) is mentioned but Scheimer claims it had no bearing in the decision. He wishes Bostwick no ill will and acknowledges that he's been blasted him for it, Scheimer believes the agent was the culprit here.

The resulting legal battle with Bostwick wanting to make public appearances as Captain Marvel, well, the character didn't belong to him so that's rather dubious to assume.

Filmation seemed to have very long relationships with it's talent, so I'm inclined to believe a lot of what is said here.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks for posting Brian. I knew about the legal battle with the appearances and I always felt Filmation had a position there. But the legal battle I was referring to was between Bostwick and Filmation for firing him illegally due to his injury. Someone had been doing some home videos that day and recorded the stunt boxes collapsing and his resulting injury next to his eye. Filmation lost that case and were ordered to pay Bostwick for the entire second season plus residuals.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Dracula in space?!?! I missed out on Dracula in space?!?!?!!?!
        Live action Dracula in Space. It really bothers me now.
        I don't have the book yet, but from the preview I read, I know they cover the proposed "Batman in Space" series! Again, Live-Action Batman...IN SPACE!!! You can't make this stuff up.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by MIB41
          ^^^ Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks for posting Brian. I knew about the legal battle with the appearances and I always felt Filmation had a position there. But the legal battle I was referring to was between Bostwick and Filmation for firing him illegally due to his injury. Someone had been doing some home videos that day and recorded the stunt boxes collapsing and his resulting injury next to his eye. Filmation lost that case and were ordered to pay Bostwick for the entire second season plus residuals.
          Yeah it's in the book, however it's a far cry from the $700,000 Bostwick initially sued for. He got four grand through SAG arbitration because he could prove he was genuinely injured. Scheimer admits that in the book but at the time, they felt he was demanding more money.

I've read an interviewwhere Bostwick vilifies Scheimer and Prescott for the personal appearance thing, I really feel he's in the wrong with that.

I don't have the book yet, but from the preview I read, I know they cover the proposed "Batman in Space" series! Again, Live-Action Batman...IN SPACE!!! You can't make this stuff up.
          Yeah, what's even weirder is that Adam West described the plot years ago in a Starlog. It's set twenty years later and some alien kidnaps all the villians and makes then ten years younger, then Batman and Robin come out of retirement to stop them. It seemed like Filmation made several attempts to bring back West and Ward, there was even talk of the "New Adventures" having live action segments like Fat Albert.

Comment

• ctc
            Fear the monkeybat!
            • Aug 16, 2001

>Live action Dracula in Space.

I still feel a personal loss....

>I really miss their character designs.

Filmation was a weird one; they had simpler designs, but would animate them more concisely. (For the ten minutes of animation they'd have....) It was the opposite of the HB method, and created it's own feel. Even when they went with more complicated esigns.... like the He-Man stuff, they used the same technique.

Don C.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I've read an interviewwhere Bostwick vilifies Scheimer and Prescott for the personal appearance thing, I really feel he's in the wrong with that.
              Yeah, I think part of that comes from being friend's with Clayton Moore. Bostwick and Moore were close, and I'm sure Bostwick felt his own situation mirrored that of his friend and mentor, who was not allowed to wear his Lone Ranger mask at appearances for years and years.

Yeah, what's even weirder is that Adam West described the plot years ago in a Starlog. It's set twenty years later and some alien kidnaps all the villians and makes then ten years younger, then Batman and Robin come out of retirement to stop them. It seemed like Filmation made several attempts to bring back West and Ward, there was even talk of the "New Adventures" having live action segments like Fat Albert.

...and then Hanna Barbera made it happen, at least for two specials. The 70s was a very weird time for TV. Batman appeared simultaneously on two networks, by two different animation studios, and they both tried to get a live-action revival going in some way.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

I think the Moore situation is quite different, he appeared as the Lone Ranger for two decades after the show ran, there was something of easement there.

As soon as Bostwick was replaced, Filmation yanked the appearances. He had no ground to stand on.

BTW the book details Scheimer's meeting with Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels to do the animated show. The meeting is a disaster and is kind of funny. I won't spoil it.

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                  BTW the book details Scheimer's meeting with Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels to do the animated show. The meeting is a disaster and is kind of funny. I won't spoil it.
                  That reminds me of my surprise when I watched the Lone Ranger cartoon for the first time since my youth last year. I heard that voice and sat back in astonishment. "William Conrad? You've got to be kidding me?" It was such an odd casting choice for such an iconic hero. Conrad was so well known back then for playing "Cannon" I couldn't suspend my disbelief. It was too funny thinking of this short, fat guy pretending to be this heroic cowboy. For me, his voice was just too recognizable for that character and all of those TV commercials he was doing back then. They might as well have gotten Sylvester Stallone. "Uh Hi yo Silver, ya know?"

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Speaking of appearances, John Davey related an interesting story in his interview in Back Issue a few years back: Soon after his Shazam episodes started to air, he did a public appearance somewhere. That particular day, a Bostwick episode was aired. Many of the kids and parents were less than kind to this "imposter". I felt kind of bad reading that, but Davey has a pretty honest attitude about being Bostwick's replacement. He never felt comfortable with the role. It was a job.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      Speaking of appearances, John Davey related an interesting story in his interview in Back Issue a few years back: Soon after his Shazam episodes started to air, he did a public appearance somewhere. That particular day, a Bostwick episode was aired. Many of the kids and parents were less than kind to this "imposter". I felt kind of bad reading that, but Davey has a pretty honest attitude about being Bostwick's replacement. He never felt comfortable with the role. It was a job.

Chris
                      How ironic you would mention that Chris! I purchased that issue on Amazon a few weeks ago and just read that interview. Nice cover art by Alex Ross too. I thought it was funny how Davey tried to play an old VHS copy to his granddaughter and she gave it about five minutes before asking if she could go outside. I agree with you too. I don't think he ever really thought much of the role. Given that it was not something he had to audition for or really knew anything about, I think he just dialed in a performance to collect a check. When I watch those episodes, that's how it feels too. Plus he just doesn't look heroic to me on any level. I honestly thought he was a nearby construction worker they had grabbed. He had skinny legs, small feet and this pudgy waist he sucked in for each scene. Bostwick on the other hand was spot on. He was very athletic and perfectly fit for that outfit. And most important, he acted like he cared. He believed in that character and it translates even today. I couldn't have watched that show at all if it had only been Davey. And I doubt it would have been a hit either. And it's nothing against Davey as a person. I thought he came across very likable and did what any actor looking for work would do. I just don't think he was a good fit for the part. Like Bostwick said in his interview, you have to have the voice, the physique, and believe in what you're saying. It's a somewhat harder sell. And he's right.

Last edited by MIB41; Dec 4, '12, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by MIB41
                        That reminds me of my surprise when I watched the Lone Ranger cartoon for the first time since my youth last year. I heard that voice and sat back in astonishment. "William Conrad? You've got to be kidding me?" It was such an odd casting choice for such an iconic hero. Conrad was so well known back then for playing "Cannon" I couldn't suspend my disbelief. It was too funny thinking of this short, fat guy pretending to be this heroic cowboy. For me, his voice was just too recognizable for that character and all of those TV commercials he was doing back then. They might as well have gotten Sylvester Stallone. "Uh Hi yo Silver, ya know?"
                        William Conrad was the voice of Marshall Matt Dillon on the radio version of Gunsmoke for ten years, he was a natural.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                          William Conrad was the voice of Marshall Matt Dillon on the radio version of Gunsmoke for ten years, he was a natural.
                          I didn't know Gunsmoke had a radio program. Interesting! The only radio program I listen to back then was the CBS Radio Mystery Theater. Those were great! I have all the episodes from 74 to 82.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

How ironic you would mention that Chris! I purchased that issue on Amazon a few weeks ago and just read that interview. Nice cover art by Alex Ross too. I thought it was funny how Davey tried to play an old VHS copy to his granddaughter and she gave it about five minutes before asking if she could go outside. I agree with you too. I don't think he ever really thought much of the role. Given that it was not something he had to audition for or really knew anything about, I think he just dialed in a performance to collect a check. When I watch those episodes, that's how it feels too. Plus he just doesn't look heroic to me on any level. I honestly thought he was a nearby construction worker they had grabbed. He had skinny legs, small feet and this pudgy waist he sucked in for each scene. Bostwick on the other hand was spot on. He was very athletic and perfectly fit for that outfit. And most important, he acted like he cared. He believed in that character and it translates even today. I couldn't have watched that show at all if it had only been Davey. And I doubt it would have been a hit either. And it's nothing against Davey as a person. I thought he came across very likable and did what any actor looking for work would do. I just don't think he was a good fit for the part. Like Bostwick said in his interview, you have to have the voice, the physique, and believe in what you're saying. It's a somewhat harder sell. And he's right.
                            That is a great Back Issue for sure. Davey was a boxer, so he was not pushover for sure, but he always seemed too...thugy for Captain Marvel. He looked like he should be roughing up Starsky and Hutch, not flying around in red tights. He does seem like a genuinely nice guy, who takes the whole thing in stride.

Another Back Issue has a very interesting interview with Michael Gray that compliments this issue very well.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Davey was hired sight unseen and in a hurry. Scheimer admits that the suit wasn't forgiving his belly but he speaks highly of the man.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, Davey recounts in that Back Issue that he got the call, reported to the set, and started filming all in one afternoon. He had no idea what Captain Marvel exactly was, his son knew and begged him to do it.

It's hard to believe a studio wouldn't halt production long enough to find the right replacement, but yet it happened!

This is the Back Issue with the Michael Gray interview:

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎