Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wtrailer
    • Feb 11, 2012

2 Mystery Toys

Looking for information on 2 toys from childhood.

1. Some sort of board game where you shoot small BBs from tanks. I believe the tanks were blue but I could be wrong.

2. This one is very obscure. A small rubber yellow character with what would appear to be sunbeams extending from around his head. I believe his name "may" have been Sunman. This item was the size and quality of something you would get from a gumball vending machine.

Thanks!
  • toysrus
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 23, 2007

was Sunman based off anything? Comic, movie, cartoon? Or Do you mean he was just a small rubber toy that was only available thru vending machines?

Comment

• Wtrailer
      • Feb 11, 2012

I am not sure if the "sunman" character was based off anything. The kid who had it told me his name was Sunman and that there was also a moonman but he could have easily been lying to me though. I don't know that it was available through vending machines it just happened to be the same size and quality of those types of toys.

Comment

• toysrus
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 23, 2007

What size was Sunman? like a couple inches?

Originally posted by Wtrailer
        I am not sure if the "sunman" character was based off anything. The kid who had it told me his name was Sunman and that there was also a moonman but he could have easily been lying to me though. I don't know that it was available through vending machines it just happened to be the same size and quality of those types of toys.

Comment

• toysrus
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 23, 2007

Anything like this? -----http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-Jiggle...item519764a952

Comment

• Wtrailer
            • Feb 11, 2012

Originally posted by toysrus
            It is very similar to that in size and quality but that is not the illusive Sunman : ) He was yellow and had a tail. His face was sort of animal like - half human/half animal. He may have been a Carebear rip-off.

Comment

• toysrus
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 23, 2007

Please PM me your email address- my dumb *** cant seem to figure out how to post a photo here

Comment

• toysrus
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 23, 2007

ok sent u pics

Comment

• Wtrailer
                  • Feb 11, 2012

Wow! I appreciate your efforts but sadly none of those match. I am surprised how close you got with those pics though.

Comment

• toysrus
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 23, 2007

So u think they were of that size and material? Do u think the same company made them by going off of the ones I have? Was he solid rubber? Or bendable with wire inside?

Comment

• Wtrailer
                      • Feb 11, 2012

Solid rubber but not bendable. All yellow with black paint for eyes. Animal-like face specifically around the nose/mouth area. Tail. Sun beams extending from head. Probably around the same size as the pics you provided.

Comment

• toysrus
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 23, 2007

I will look deeper into my collection. But I never heard of that one. Do you know what year its from? 70's? 80's?

Comment

• Wtrailer
                          • Feb 11, 2012

There was a bit of a breakthrough today involving "Sunman!" I spoke with my friend who was the original owner back when we were kids and he shared some insight on the figure. First, let me give a little back story on how it came into my possession as I believe it did at one point.

This must have been circa '82. I was in kindergarten. My friend's sister had Sunman in her possession in a small little wooden box. Somehow, my neighbor traded her for him. During this time my neighbor friend and I had a bizarre obsession with weird little rubber toys we called "ugly things". I had a small rubber eraser, shaped like a whale, which could easily be categorized as an "ugly thing" and I offered it up as a trade for Sunman.

As for who or what Sunman was, the story was told to me by my friend (not the neighbor friend) but the older brother of the girl who originally possessed it. Confusing, eh? As the story goes the toy was called Sunman and he was purchased out of state when they were visiting their grand folks. He also spoke of an illusive Moonman who had a head shaped like the moon. Anyhow, this is what was told to me. However, I always felt the kid was just embellishing to impress us younger kids making the little rubber trinket out to be more than it was. Apparently, I was right.

I still frequently talk to this older brother and I asked him about Sunman. He told me he bought it from a gumball vending machine at the local K Mart. He also said it was sold in several different colors and that there was a multicolored version that was the most difficult to acquire. He said they were basically knock-offs of the M.U.S.C.L.E mini figures of the time although they look absolutely nothing like them. He also said that he probably called it Sunman because of the appendages that were attached to its head giving the appearance of sun rays. Not to mention the figure was yellow.

So now I have been searching the web with no luck. However, I did find this awesome site http://minifigcollection.blogspot.com/ and I have yet to search through the whole thing.

Let me describe the figure's appearance again as memory serves.

About 2-3" tall.
                          Yellow (possibly came in different colors).
                          Black dots painted on for eyes.
                          Animal-like nose/mouth area.
                          Appendages extending from around sides and top of head giving off a sunshine appearance.
                          Possible tail (Although cut-off from the example I had).
                          Possible scepter molded into hand.
                          Round belly area. Sort of tubby.
                          Made of solid rubber. Not translucent.

Thanks for all of your help so far! This is getting exciting!
                          Last edited by Wtrailer; Nov 27, '12, 8:10 PM.

Comment

• Wtrailer
                            • Feb 11, 2012

I'm guessing they may have been some kind of Smurf knock-off toy considering little creatures were popular back then.

Comment

• toysrus
                              Persistent Member
                              • Aug 23, 2007

Thats a great site! And my 1st time ever coming by that site. I now have no clue who the Sunman is-lol. But keep in mind tons of vending machine rubber toys were made. Especially back from like the 60's to I guess mid 80's. I have alot of odd rare rubber toys. No sun mor moonman-lol

Keep me updated though

Funny that the zombie toys came up on that site- the slug zombies- my 8 yr old collects those.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎