• brannon86
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jul 20, 2007

Roses Department Store

Anyone remember Roses Department Store?
  • hookah49
    • Aug 21, 2007

yes!!
    we had one in fitchburg Mass. its now a salvation army.

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
      Career Member
      • May 14, 2007

Yep, my first megos came from a Roses. Mine was in Bowling Green KY. It burnt down in the 90's.

Bob

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

When our Howard's went out here around 85-86, the rumor was, Rose's was coming in. Instead we got Big Lots.

There was a Rose's in nearby Winchester, KY, and I first went there in 88 or 89, and they still had ancillary Super Powers merchandise on the shelf. I got a few coloring books and that Skyscraper game there. It closed down shortly thereafter.

The last one I saw opened was in Morehead, KY, when I first went there to attend college. It closed within a few months of my first semester and was replaced by a... Big Lots!

Full circle.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• brannon86
          Museum Super Collector
          • Jul 20, 2007

Howard Brother's

Lets see, thats about the time out Howard Brother's went out, around 85-86 era. The space was a couple of things over the years, then Books A Million moved in, and has been here ever since. Big Lots took the place of our original K-Mart that came here in the early-mid 70's, I think around 73 or so....

Comment

• davidb
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 9, 2007

Yep. Real well. Ours is actually still open.

Comment

• megomaniac
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 10, 2006

I think there's still one in Murfressboro TN too. We went there routinely when I was in college.

Comment

• ben138
                • Nov 16, 2010

Rose's in Cleveland, Tennessee was awesome, It's where most of my Star Wars toys came from. it's long gone, they turned the mall it was in to some kind of nursing home.

Comment

• toys2cool
                  Ultimate Mego Warrior
                  • Nov 27, 2006

never heard of it, was it a big lots type of store?

here before it was big lots, it was called wow! then macFrugal's and then big lots
                  "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                  My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• B-Lister
                    Eccentric Weirdo
                    • Mar 19, 2010

Fondly remember Rose's......still have a buncha cool memories, and some not-so-good ones......
                    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

We passed a Rose's while on vacation in North Myrtle Beach, SC. It's still there. I started to stop in, but the beach was calling.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• batty
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Mar 9, 2006

Man do I remember! Before Walmart or Target, there was Roses. We had Kmart, Roses, Sears, and the mall, when I was a kid. Here in Augusta, Ga., that was where we went for toys! There was a Tons 'o Toys, before we got a Toysrus. It was about like the same, only smaller. This was until the early 1980s'. The Walmart didn't show up until the early '90s, with Target about a decade later. 5 Walmarts and 2 Targets later, things have grown alot! We have 2 Roses now, but it's not like it use to be. There "quality" is not what is used to be. Well, enough for memory lane I suppose...

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

I remember Roses very well. It was one of my big places to go back in the 70's. In Louisville, the best stores were Thornburys, Roses, and Ayrway. Of course Kmart was a keeper as well. But I remember Roses always carried tons of AHI monsters and of course the Mego superheroes. They use to have huge bins of them in the mid 70's. Roses also carried lots of AT Joes, and Big Jims. I even remember the big displays they had of the Gold Medal Big Jim, which I just recently reacquired in the box with all his accessories still sealed (thanks David)!Too bad no one ever took a picture inside this store back then. How priceless that would be!

Comment

• Falstaff13
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 28, 2008

There was a Rose's in Ahoskie, NC, which got shoved out when a Wal-Mart opened. Besides Super Powers and MOTU, I could get a few Legends of the West when we first moved to NC (1981). It lasted about 9 years after that.
                            Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                            Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎