Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

Nice review Jon and some great photos. I wish I could share your enthusiasm.

Pardon my post if it comes off as ranting and raving, as that's not my intention... But man, these seem like such a swing and a miss to me. I love that NECA is trying something new and they're one of my favorite toy companies right now because when they try, they can hit some serious homeruns. Unfortunately this one just seems to have missed every mark.

First, I find this license such a bizarre choice and as I've mentioned before, while I get the whole "retro with Tarantino" thing, this just doesn't seem like the logical route to go. I suspect if NECA had made their normal movie style figures for Django, they'd sold more. Whereas the Mego-ish format is great for a Taratino property, probably not THIS particular one and certainly not as the only figures.

That aside, these figures just come up short. The body design is decent and I'm glad to see that they don't feel beholden to the Mego style in construction. I think that is holding back the "Mego Movement" more than anything these days... But unfortunately that's about where the positives stop. Aside from the ball joint neck, they didn't improve upon the body in any way. They basically just created a new body that's as limited if not moreso than the original Mego. They should have just cloned the ZICA body as close as they could. It's a no brainer. THAT'S what the future of Mego-like figures should be. Anything less, from a major player in the industry no less, is a disappointment.

Sorry, but it's absolutely frustrating that so many toy companies are either completely copying the vintage design to a fault or they're making their own body and yet not bothering to actually improve the damn thing while they're at it. And the only companies that have made substantial improvements to the bodies, are the ones who are no longer producing them. Makes me quite sad. Instead of getting a new body type for customizers, we're left with something that's sub par at best.

The hands are atrocious. They are like mannequin hands or something. They're not dynamically sculpted in any way, nor do they allow for any sort of realistic poses. I know that the basic Mego hands are very similar but somehow these manage to be even WORSE! Again, why not sculpt better hands? Why recreate something that's hardly the brightest spot of that which you are cloning? Even if you aren't including guns, why not at least sculpt them so they can hold stuff in a convincing manner? At $25 these hands are inexcusable. They seriously look like placeholder hands that were on a model or something before the real hands were finished. It's not like NECA hasn't sculpted hands before.

The lack of weapons is also annoying. The story goes that they only had art for Django's gun and hat, thus he's the only one who got anything. Why not at least include generic pistols? A whip? Anything? Perhaps their licensing agreement forbid them from doing it, but it's still a bit absurd any way you look at it.

The head sculpts are bizarre too. They look nice, please don't get me wrong. But they're not realistic enough that you go "wow" like ZICA's stuff did, nor are they stylized enough that you can see that they were trying to get a certain "look". Instead it's just like, slightly off sculpts. Like something someone might sculpt up at home as a custom or some of those Chinese sculpts of famous actors that aren't licensed. Not fun bootleg sculpts, but the ones that are clearly supposed to be someone else but are just different enough to not be them. Ultimately it makes these sculpts a bit unsatisfying for me as it doesn't hit the mark in any of the particular categories that would make the head sculpt great.

Lastly, the clothing. While it does look nice, it's just far too bulky. Too many layers, unfortunately. While I appreciate them giving full shirts, coats, etc, this is actually a scale that can more often than not, benefit from using shortcuts such as faux undershirts and such.

The end result is a bunch of figures that look like they're overstuffed, waddling, penguins.

Again, I'm really not hating on NECA and I'm sure some folks will love these figures. I wanted to really like these guys and was excited that a new player was going to get some new bodies and parts out there into the genre, but I am absolutely flabbergasted that companies keep entering the scale and yet keep repeating the same mistakes over and over ad nauseam.

Perhaps these will sell well enough for NECA to listen to the criticisms and reevaluate some of the choices they made. I will give NECA that much. They are bold enough to redo figures or to continue to update their lines as needed. I can't help but feel like this line was rushed and instead of getting NECA's best crack at the Mego movement, we're left with a half hearted, half finished result.
    Last edited by ODBJBG; Jan 4, '13, 4:42 AM.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Nice photos Jon, best I've seen thus far. I was on the fence but now I want a set.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
        Nice photos Jon, best I've seen thus far. I was on the fence but now I want a set.
        I agree. The more I see, the better they look!
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
          Moderation Engineer
          • Aug 14, 2003

Thanks for the review Jon. I wouldn't hesitate to put a loose set of these on my shelf.

Comment

• madmarva
            Talkative Member
            • Jul 7, 2007

I got my set the other day. The sculpts on the heads are excellent; however, the paint jobs are spotty.

My Sam Jackson and Broomhilda figures' paint jobs look excellent, sideshow quality, but the Django figure isn't painted as nicely and the Leo figure is plain sloppy.

If you can buy them in person to inspect the paint jobs, I would. But the sculpts are fantastic.

The film's excellent, too. Jackson is fantastic and menacing in a cruel way, and Waltz is quickly becoming my favorite character actor. It's a tough movie, though, and I certainly see how some could find it offensive.

Comment

• jonwes
              Museum Patron
              • Nov 17, 2011

Thanks all, hope the pics were helpful one way or another. If I had to do it over again, I have to be honest and say I might have only picked up Django and Schultz. But I'm glad I got all of them, in a way. I do think some added accessories would have just upped the excitement factor a bit. I agree with you, madmarva, that buying these in person would be the way to go. I wonder who will even stock these in real stores... comic shops? Memorabilia stores? I was just wondering if they'd even end up in TRU.

Comment

• Chris
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 23, 2009

Sweet Mother of MEGO! They are some hot figures.
                If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• alex
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jun 15, 2009

Just watched this in 3D , fantastic film, it just flowed......... Im definately in for a few of these. They really should of given Scultz his long range rifle at least.
                  Last edited by alex; Jan 6, '13, 5:56 PM.

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Could be a limited set now. The protests have begun.

Slavery-era action figures tied to Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained" are raising questions about whether they're appropriate.A line of figures of the movie's main characters are on sale ...

Comment

• alex
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jun 15, 2009

It really does baffle me, peoples train of thought.

Comment

• Chris
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by MIB41
                        Could be a limited set now. The protests have begun.

http://news.yahoo.com/action-figures...180004597.html
                        That's hilarious! I love that the one person was "outraged" over the toyline. Keep 'em coming DST!!!!
                        If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                          Often invisible
                          • Jul 18, 2002

Protests! Phony Outrage! Free Advertising! I love it!!

I hope NECA ignores it. There's certainly nothing to apologize for.

Lets face it, there were complaints about the Dexter figure in TRU, and what happened? Nothing. So much nothing that BBP is planning an 8' Dexter.

If it isn't given any power, it will blow over like everything else.
                          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

Nothing like free press to increase sells. When will these people learn that protests only increase interest?

Comment

• phil
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 11, 2007

I wonder if they will attack the actors for allowing their likenesses to be used.

Comment

• palitoy
                                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                                • Jun 16, 2001

What a crock, just a made up controversy to get their names in the paper. The film hardly glorifies slavery and what kid is going to end up with these? It's the same stupidity as the Dexter toy thing from last year. Not all toys are for Children, same goes with cartoons, comics and trading cards. Yet whenever some clown wants his name in the news, he gets outraged at adult material.
                                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎