X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackKnight
    The DarkSide Customizer
    • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
    Digitally jerking Harrison Ford around to make it look like Greedo shot first and missed him, isn't eye candy. It alters the scene and the actors performance. Cleaning up matte boxes and color correcting lightsabre blades, awesome. Digitally erasing actors, altering their performances, redubbing scenes with new dialogue and voices, not awesome.
    ... Dude,
    I can't believe that bothers you that Much.
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by BlackKnight
      ... Dude,
      I can't believe that bothers you that Much.
      I have no problem with director cuts. (I actually enjoyed the 97 special editions and saw them at the theaters.) I do have a problem when a new edit of a movie replaces the theatrical editons.
      Lucas can cgi Jar Jar doing a burlesque strip tease in Jabba's palace in Jedi if he wants. Again, it doesn't bother me that the changes were made. It only bothers me that the changed versions replaced the original ones. I personally dislike pan and scan and edited movies on TV. But it doesn't upset me because the TV cuts didn't replace the original versions. I disliked the walkie talkies cgied into ET but it didn't upset me because it didn't replace the original.

Ultimately, it's not about what you, I or even Lucas likes. It's about film preservation, the art of film and protecting and preserving our shared cultural heritage for future generations.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

Disney Princesses...

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Megospidey
          Museum Webslinger
          • Jul 26, 2006

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

Digitally jerking Harrison Ford around to make it look like Greedo shot first and missed him, isn't eye candy. It alters the scene and the actors performance. Cleaning up matte boxes and color correcting lightsabre blades, awesome. Digitally erasing actors, altering their performances, redubbing scenes with new dialogue and voices, not awesome.
            I totally agree.
            It affects Greedo ("I'm such a poor enforcer, I can't hit a target two feet away").
            It affects the character of Solo ("I'm such a sweet lad, I only shoot in self defense").
            It affects the character of Luke ("I'd rather die than join the Empire, but when I fall to my death I scream like a sissy").

All these changes were unnecessary, just like Spielberg's changes to ET.

I hope Disney raids the whole Lucasfilm archives and finds us all the sweet missing bits still on the shelves. I'd pay good money for that.
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

Ultimately, it's not about what you, I or even Lucas likes. It's about film preservation, the art of film and protecting and preserving our shared cultural heritage for future generations.
              Well said.
              We also don't go repainting the Mona Lisa and giving her a flashy new hairdo just because it's the new style this year. History should be left untampered with.
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Thor
                Thunder God
                • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
                Like I said on the other thread...new Star Wars is no different than Disney stuff, lol.
                I agree. The recent stuff has been remarketed for kids. They have selling toys in mind also.
                sigpic

"I've seen things you wouldn't believe."

- Roy Batty

Comment

• Thor
                  Thunder God
                  • Dec 17, 2009

Lucas can cgi Jar Jar doing a burlesque strip tease in Jabba's palace in Jedi if he wants. Again, it doesn't bother me that the changes were made. It only bothers me that the changed versions replaced the original ones. I personally dislike pan and scan and edited movies on TV. But it doesn't upset me because the TV cuts didn't replace the original versions. I disliked the walkie talkies cgied into ET but it didn't upset me because it didn't replace the original.

I agree. Lucas has taken choice out of the equation and thinks we must see his new version.
                  sigpic

"I've seen things you wouldn't believe."

- Roy Batty

Comment

• Brazoo
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 14, 2009

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned somewhere yet - but this is undeniably incredible news.

Lucas has pledged that most of the money from the sale will go to charity:

The spokesperson noted that this “announcement continues a commitment that Lucas made in 2010 to The Giving Pledge, where he stated, 'I am dedicating the majority of my wealth to improving education. It is the key to the survival of the human race. We have to plan for our collective future -- and the first step begins with social, emotional and intellectual tools we provide to our children. As humans, our greatest tool for survival is our ability to think and to adapt -- as educators, storytellers and communicators, our responsibility is to continue to do so.’”
                    Spokesperson for Lucasfilm tells THR the majority of the sale price will go toward educational philanthropy.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                      The DarkSide Customizer
                      • Apr 16, 2005

^^^ I Bet He Still gets a Huge Take of the Toys ...., Thats where the Cash is.
                      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

for the record, i have always liked episode 1, flaws and all. and yes, i agree there are many. i just like the movie. AOTC had even more flaws but still had a few moments to make the movie worthwhile and ROTS was the best of the series but still had way to many flaws. that's what happens when Lucas controls the galaxy.
                        i loved the special editions, with the exception of Greedo shoots first, but only because the scene now looks ridiculous. how the hell could you miss at that range. the jerky motion they gave Solo is just stupid. Lucas says now that was how it was always supposed to be, but we know he lies through his teeth and change shis story from year to year....it was reported when the movie came out that his then moral compass, said Han shooting first was wrong........rememeber, in the eighties he said there would be episode 7-9....in the 2000's he said he never said that.......now it is revealed he had basic outlines ready and had even met with Mark Hamel and Carrie Fisher to talk about them last year.

bottom line for me is that this is a good thing. Disney has a proven track record. I loved Tron Legacy and John Carter and of course they have done well with the Marvel movies

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

I Bet He Still gets a Huge Take of the Toys ...., Thats where the Cash is.
                          i have been thinking the same thing

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

Other than gleeful optimism, why should this be any different under Disney? Disney is fiercely protective of their content and their brand. Disney makes a point to advertise how it locks away movies "in the Disney vault". They have their own history of editing or burying movies in order to sanitize away objectionable content.

After all, Lucas didn't make those changes for you or me. He made them for my kids. Because he knows that turning some young, impressionable kid into a life-long Star Wars fanatic who buys the toys, the bed sheets, the lunch box, the video games, etc etc. is going to earn a lot more money in the end than any BluRay he can sell to me. He is not selling a movie, he is selling a whole lifestyle. And that trumps "artistic purity". It may sound crass and commercial, but honestly... the only game in town who does it better than Lucas is Disney.

I'd love to be wrong. I still watch "Star Wars" on VHS for goodness sake. But I just don't see it happening.

Comment

• Brazoo
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                              ^^^ I Bet He Still gets a Huge Take of the Toys ...., Thats where the Cash is.
                              No - why? As far as I understand the deal Star Wars licensing rights have been sold to Disney. I think he personally owns stock in Disney though...

Look, I'm sure he's rich without the $4 billion, but it's kinda beside the point to me, rich or not giving $4 billion to charity is impressive, no?

Comment

• Werewolf
                                Inhuman
                                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by sprytel
                                Other than gleeful optimism, why should this be any different under Disney?
                                Lucas cared more about forcing the CGI special editions on us than making money off of the theatrical cuts.

Now Disney, on the other hand, won't care about spiting fanboys. They will care about making back on the 4 billion investment. There's no way they will pass up on releasing the theatrical cuts of the original trilogy to Blu-ray. There's too much demand and too much money to be made from it.
                                In my opinion, we have now a far better chance of getting the theatrical versions of the movies unlost to time.
                                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎