Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Figuremod73
    That 80's guy
    • Jul 27, 2011

I didnt think this was true when I first read. Not a bad idea really.

Lucas wrote the plot for 7-8 years ago. It will be interesting to see if they use it or go another route. Im suprised they arent remaking the original with a new cast but glad also.

Disney's getting pretty strong with all these properties. I wonder how many less than stellar performances they can handle (like John Carter) before they become picky on what they release.

Comment

• megalomaniac001
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 24, 2009

I felt like an excited ten year old today upon hearing this news! I am glad to see Lucas give up Star Wars so that we can get more movies now. Just the other day I told my wife it would probably be after Lucas died before we would get more. I am glad I am wrong! I guess I will have to wait to see the new movie to pass final judgement, but if Disney takes this seriously and tries to make good movies, it should be great. I think they should just go ahead and recast the parts. That way they can basically start wher Return of the Jedi left off. I know there are a lot of fans of the expanded universe, but I think they should just make their own way and not try to copy what the expanded universe did.

Comment

• Iron Mego
        Wake Up Heavy
        • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by Figuremod73
        I didnt think this was true when I first read. Not a bad idea really.

Lucas wrote the plot for 7-8 years ago. It will be interesting to see if they use it or go another route. Im suprised they arent remaking the original with a new cast but glad also.

Disney's getting pretty strong with all these properties. I wonder how many less than stellar performances they can handle (like John Carter) before they become picky on what they release.
        I would not be surprised if they did remake the originals.

And I hope they stay away from Lucas scripted sequels. Writing ain't his strong point.
        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I think Star Wars can only benefit from Lucas letting loose the reins. I would normally never say that about his creator and his property, but the prequels have taught me Lucas didn't really understand what made Star Wars special. Disney has always focused on characters, and that's what Star Wars needs. I'd like to see a set of movies set 35 years after the originals, with the actors playing their true ages, and Luke leading a new era of Jedis.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Toysyouhad.com
            • Oct 14, 2012

Like someone said - cant be much worse. So glad it is out of the hands of the moronic George Lucas - stubborn to the end.

Comment

• MegoMark71
              Permanent Member
              • Dec 18, 2008

As much as Lucas has messed with everything, i'm not upset it's now out of his hands. However, i will always be a fan of the original 3. I thank him for those.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                SynthoRes Transmigrator
                • Oct 24, 2007

Disney has always supported SW. Just needed to make it legal. Looks like WDS is on a monopoly rampage. The Amazon of the entertainment industry.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

It's amazing news.
                  Difficult to process the magnitude of this... and all the pros and cons.

Lucas is now passing the SW torch along to a new generation of film makers to make SW movies.

Thankfully, looks like the new movies won't adhere to any of the Expanded Universe stuff that's already out there... they'll be original stories not tied to any novels or comics, etc.

Disney now owns Star Wars, Indiana Jones and ILM (although ILM will essentially remain a freelance company, working for any studio).
                  Fox will retain distribution rights to the existing movies, at least until those contracts expire.
                  Once the existing agreements with Dark Horse expire, production of SW comics will most likley return to Marvel.

Damn... Disney is assimilating my favourite stuff... first Marvel, now Star Wars!

Last edited by Bruce Banner; Oct 31, '12, 4:37 AM.
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

This could really be fantastic news. People from our generation which gave us the first film can finally get a continuation of those characters after Jedi. The fact Lucas will NOT be directing it or even have final say gives me enormous hopes that we can FINALLY see Star Wars return to a more story driven franchise, rather than an excuse to make toys. And the fact it's picking up after Jedi is sweet poetry to my ears. I might be able to take this series seriously again. Great news!

Comment

• RickD
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 31, 2011

Originally posted by MIB41
                      This could really be fantastic news. People from our generation which gave us the first film can finally get a continuation of those characters after Jedi. The fact Lucas will NOT be directing it or even have final say gives me enormous hopes that we can FINALLY see Star Wars return to a more story driven franchise, rather than an excuse to make toys. And the fact it's picking up after Jedi is sweet poetry to my ears. I might be able to take this series seriously again. Great news!
                      I couldn't agree more with you. Lets just hope this is Disney's intentions.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                        Invincible Ironing Man
                        • Feb 28, 2008

That Jar Jar movie I'd been hoping for can now finally become a reality!

I hope they replace Han Solo in Carbonite by Walt Disney On Ice...

This is good news. Lucas can now finally let go and relax, counting his 4 billion dollars. That kind of money would certainly make me relax...
                        I'll still wait and see what they make of it. What if they give Solo a young son he didn't know about, and Han goes around saying "I'm too old for this stuff..."
                        There are a million ways this could backfire. But since Lucas wasn't going to do anything with it as far as new movies are concerned, at least it's progress.
                        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• ctc
                          Fear the monkeybat!
                          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I'm not completely excited by this. Disney's done some good stuff, but they're mostly a marketing and holding company these days.... and I could see them doing some pretty unfortunate stuff to the franchaise. Mostly in terms of genericing it up and taking some of the ever-diminishing edge off. (If you thought Greedo shooting first was bad, wait'll you get a load of the Randy Newman powered musical number from episode 8!)

'Course, I'm not terrified either. Lucas has always been more of an idea guy than an actual finished product guy.... so if he gets some input but isn't actually producing anything that might help. Disney'll probably farm the line out anyhoo. "Michael Bay presents: STAR WARS!!!!"

*shudder* One the UP side, Disney's more likely than Lucas to FINALLY release a cleaned up copy of the Holiday Special!

Wooo. Imagine if they dub in Jar Jar? That's be perfect!

>And the fact it's picking up after Jedi is sweet poetry to my ears. I might be able to take this series seriously again.

Featuring the triumphant return of the Ewoks!

Imagine if the Ewoks teamed up with Jar Jar?

*shudder*

Don C.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                            Alan Scott is the best GL
                            • Aug 8, 2007

I'm glad George will only be creative consultant. having someone else to say "that's a bad idea" is a good thing. It's human nature to miss the flaws in ones own work. Like others I would like to see a pick up of the original characters based on their true ages but a new cast that is decended from those characters could be fun too. AND I still want to see the rise of the Empire between ep 3 and 4

Comment

• Apositive
                              Career Member
                              • Apr 3, 2011

Although I'm not crazy about Disney, I think this is good news overall. Clearly, someone besides Lucas had to continue Star Wars after those bad films(for the most part) known as Prequels. And there is a new Star Wars trilogy on the way in a few years! That alone is good news!

Comment

• babycyclops
                                Career Member
                                • Jul 9, 2010

Disney jelously guard their IP. I don't think that there will be any Family Guy type parodies any more. Not that I'm really a fan of the Family Guy Star Wars parodies, but it seemed that Lucas didn't stomp on anyone poking fun at his characters.
                                I can't see Disney turning a blind eye to all the Star Wars parodies and references all over place.... I predict that Disney's lawers are going to be sharpenning their knives.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎