Latest DST Q&A re: retro Chapel and Vina

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mythmaker18
    • Jan 31, 2012

My biggest gripe with the Chapel prototype was the "flesh-coloured" tights she was wearing. Some of you might say, "maybe she was based on the Animated Series Chapel", whose legs were animated as if she were bare-legged, but I don't buy the excuse that the Mego toy line was based on the animated show. It's the same gripe I had against the Playmates figures and against the more recent ones from Diamond (I think), where they had Uhura and Chapel "bare", but decided to make the Rand figure's legs to look more screen-accurate, so she and the other two didn't match!

Personally, though, as far as a Mego-style figure, I'd have figured Rand to be more popular than Chapel, despite the fact that Rand appeared in far fewer episodes.

Comment

• drogge
      Career Member
      • Jul 24, 2009

The plan

Originally posted by drmego
      My plan was to put together a few mego friendly power buyers and buy the entire run from
      Diamond and split it up. It would have meant laying out a lot of money with a long wait
      to get to even break even. I have been waiting for Bride of Frankenstein to be released
      to see how she was received.
      I hope the plan works. The Bride is great!

Comment

• ScottA
        Original Member
        • Jun 25, 2001

^ I hope so too. I'd buy both easy.
        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• SeattleEd
          SynthoRes Transmigrator
          • Oct 24, 2007

I'd buy a bunch of the Vina easily just like I did with the Creech. Favorite female ST character.

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
            Career Member
            • Sep 5, 2005

At the TRUs I've hit, the Creature is a total sell out (with four being the maximum I've seen in a store). There was typically one or two brides, including today when I saw three Mummies, two Dracs, and a Bride. Any info on how they're doing?

Also, off topic, but thank you again and ten thousand times over for the Creature. He's on my bedside table right now.

Comment

• teddyk
              • Feb 24, 2008

Originally posted by mythmaker18
              My biggest gripe with the Chapel prototype was the "flesh-coloured" tights she was wearing. Some of you might say, "maybe she was based on the Animated Series Chapel", whose legs were animated as if she were bare-legged, but I don't buy the excuse that the Mego toy line was based on the animated show. It's the same gripe I had against the Playmates figures and against the more recent ones from Diamond (I think), where they had Uhura and Chapel "bare", but decided to make the Rand figure's legs to look more screen-accurate, so she and the other two didn't match!

Personally, though, as far as a Mego-style figure, I'd have figured Rand to be more popular than Chapel, despite the fact that Rand appeared in far fewer episodes.
              I feel the opposite on both counts. I much prefer the look of the flesh-colored tights - in fact, I was nervous when I saw an early prototype (or maybe it was a custom?) with dark tights. And while I love Janice, Nurse Chapel is by far a more critical figure for me since she recurred throughout the series, had some important roles in certain episodes, and was played by the one and only Majel. If Chapel gets made (my fingers remain crossed!), I'd actually vote for a security guard (Leslie?) and Harry Mudd before Janice.

Comment

• drmego
                EMCE Toys
                • Jun 15, 2001

We gave DST many character choices and they would only green light Picard and the Borg, and recently
                Mirror Kirk and Spock.

Originally posted by Mego-Amigo
                It would be silly to say that DST or EMCE has run out of ideas for the OS Trek line with all the great characters from the show that have never had a figure or the 3 original Mego characters that were never remade by EMCE that I am sure most of us here would buy to complete our sets. And I would much rather have Vina and Chapel as opposed to Trelane or Harry Mudd.
                www.drmego.com
                www.megoman.com
                www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

There are several great potential ST: TOS ReMegos that DST could have produced--James Brady's efforts showcased that. And each of them could have been paired with crew/crew variants that collector-fans would have enjoyed.

Doc's efforts notwithstanding, DST has fumbled this line & lost momentum & focus. IMO.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• tllgn
                    Persistent Member
                    • Feb 6, 2010

i would still love to see these two still,cant help but wonder....i heard that diamond select bought the zinca
                    body style, is that what knght rider-david is gonna be?.i hope they stick with EMCE with their retro-mego lines.
                    the Zinca bodies are neat, but emce bodies are more like classic mego, diamond should just go for it,
                    i think they would do very well,And what about Data & the klingon?will we see these?.i bought all emce diamond
                    select figures,I still want more apes for petes sake,and they stopped at four,what teases they are about
                    Vina & Chaple,get me hooked and pulled the plug,

Comment

• drogge
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 24, 2009

I won't give up hope on some new TOS Re-Mego product, heck I still have hope we will see some new Retro-Action.

Comment

• Artistix
                        • Apr 9, 2012

Originally posted by drmego
                        My plan was to put together a few mego friendly power buyers and buy the entire run from
                        Diamond and split it up. It would have meant laying out a lot of money with a long wait
                        to get to even break even. I have been waiting for Bride of Frankenstein to be released
                        to see how she was received.
                        Interesting. Sure hope that happens.

Comment

• JediJaida
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 14, 2008

Now that would be an interesting development on the Mego front. Keep us posted; I for one am curious as to whether or not its possible to pull that off.

If, by the grace of God, you did manage to pull it off, you'd have a LOT of people here inundating you with suggestions as to what they would like to see made.
                          JediJaida

Comment

• captact
                            King of Super Queens!
                            • Aug 19, 2007

Please....give us Vina and Chapel.....Mudd and Talosian (screen accurate)!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎