X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teddyk
    • Feb 24, 2008

Latest DST Q&A re: retro Chapel and Vina

Hey gang - I just saw this Q&A about the retro Chapel and Vina figures:

Just to say love the new Picard and borg retro figures – great as always but will we be seeing the chapel and vina figures soon ? uhura is the only female in the retro line , it was a joy when we finally got sulu and Chekov after all these years and chapel and janice rand retro figures to complete the crew would be brilliant – these are much requested fan favorite characters , any chance we can see them in the shops soon ? i’m ever hopeful

DST CHUCK: I do not think there is much of a chance you will see retro Vina and Chapel. I know lots of fans are interested so they can have a complete crew but we were not able to get a prototype we liked.

Argh! So disappointing, but I will continue to cling to the hope that Dr. Mego's "scheme" (mentioned in a post from July I believe) works out and we get these two figures. I'll keep thinking positive thoughts!
  • drogge
    Career Member
    • Jul 24, 2009

Ladies

Originally posted by teddyk
    Hey gang - I just saw this Q&A about the retro Chapel and Vina figures:

Just to say love the new Picard and borg retro figures – great as always but will we be seeing the chapel and vina figures soon ? uhura is the only female in the retro line , it was a joy when we finally got sulu and Chekov after all these years and chapel and janice rand retro figures to complete the crew would be brilliant – these are much requested fan favorite characters , any chance we can see them in the shops soon ? i’m ever hopeful

DST CHUCK: I do not think there is much of a chance you will see retro Vina and Chapel. I know lots of fans are interested so they can have a complete crew but we were not able to get a prototype we liked.

Argh! So disappointing, but I will continue to cling to the hope that Dr. Mego's "scheme" (mentioned in a post from July I believe) works out and we get these two figures. I'll keep thinking positive thoughts!
    What an easy fix, adjust the prototypes. If these figures are primed for production once the prototypes are fixed, there is indeed hope.

Comment

• Bones
      Museum Patron
      • Oct 4, 2009

I'm still bummed about this.

Comment

• jacoblb
        Persistent Member
        • May 7, 2009

So now it's not: "The retailers have no interest" excuse? I thought the prototype looked excellent. Funny reason, of all things, to mention considering all the business CBS/ST have done with Playmates. As if their small scale prototypes were anything to write home about. Because, you know, the finished product by Playmates was better than anything else on the shelves [I state sarcastically.]
        Didn't DM once write he was working on a work around that would allow fans to make custom unmade crew figures and not position him in legal jeopardy?

Comment

• teddyk
          • Feb 24, 2008

jacoblb, I totally agree - the most recent prototypes looked terrific to me.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 22, 2011

Those prototypes looked great. I for one won't be supporting the new ST Select figures. With all the great 7 inch prototypes I have seen that were never produced and the Vina and Chapel Retros that were not produced I kinda have a bitter taste now for DST Trek plans.

Comment

• GoldBlade6
              Museum Super Collector
              • Dec 30, 2007

I would consider the new ST Select line, but only for the bases - to compliment my retro collection. Also, because I would only be in it for the bases, I would not pay full price, but rather would wait until they're between $10-$15 on gohastings.com or something. I'm also not a fan of the new retro Trek figures with the painted heads. Pike started a bad trend, and I bit the bullet that one time, but I'm not getting Picard unless he's $5. He just doesn't feel retro to me. The Borg is ok.

Comment

• Artistix
                • Apr 9, 2012

We were so close to finally getting a Mego Chapel & Vina.

I also thought the proto's looked awesome!

Comment

• rodkeith
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 16, 2008

That's disappointing. I thought they looked good too. Definitely no worse than Uhura as a likeness, that's for sure.

So basically what I'm getting is that the OST 8" line is done. I think I remember Doc Mego saying something a long while back to the effect that if they ever got to Mirror Kirk and Spock, that means they've run out of ideas. Looks like that'll unfortunately turn out to be prophetic.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                    Still Old School
                    • Feb 14, 2008

I think not releasing these two is a smart business move. I don't see either of these character choices breaking any sales records.

Trelane or Harry Mudd would sell better IMO
                    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• drmego
                      EMCE Toys
                      • Jun 15, 2001

My plan was to put together a few mego friendly power buyers and buy the entire run from
                      Diamond and split it up. It would have meant laying out a lot of money with a long wait
                      to get to even break even. I have been waiting for Bride of Frankenstein to be released
                      to see how she was received.
                      www.drmego.com
                      www.megoman.com
                      www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• megocrazy
                        Museum Trouble Maker
                        • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by drmego
                        I have been waiting for Bride of Frankenstein to be released
                        to see how she was received.
                        If my experience at the Con today was any reference I would say pretty good. I don't believe of the 7 or 8 vendors that had EMCE monsters not one Creech or Bride was available by 2:00PM. This was the first day of the show. Some attendees, were so bummed, after seeing them first hand, and not being able to buy them, that they ventured to the nearby Mall, adjacent to the facility, and were picking them up there while they lasted, at the stores that carried them. I would guess FYE and Newbury Comics for sure. Not sure what other major retailers are in there. Definitely looks to be a hit with the masses from what I saw.
                        It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jun 22, 2011

It would be silly to say that DST or EMCE has run out of ideas for the OS Trek line with all the great characters from the show that have never had a figure or the 3 original Mego characters that were never remade by EMCE that I am sure most of us here would buy to complete our sets. And I would much rather have Vina and Chapel as opposed to Trelane or Harry Mudd.

Comment

• bobws
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 13, 2008

Yes , i'd much rather get Vina , Chapel and Rand and other Original characters than starting Next Gen and mirror sets.
                            "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• enyawd72
                              Maker of Monsters!
                              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                              I think not releasing these two is a smart business move. I don't see either of these character choices breaking any sales records.

Trelane or Harry Mudd would sell better IMO
                              I'm with BB on this one. Nurse Chapel? What's she do besides stand around saying "Yes, Doctor" and gushing over Mr. Spock. Gimme some more aliens and baddies!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎