X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imp
    Mego Book Author
    • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
    I guess that, because of reMego items and my own obsessive love of vintage toys, I forget what a niche community we are.
    I hear you, brother. It really is a tiny community, and that's the cause of my publisher's justifiable disinterest.

-b

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

Has it been 5 years already? How time flies. And since it's out of print I cherish my copy even more*
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• megozilla13
        Persistent Member
        • May 10, 2002

What a great thread, can't believe it took me a year to come across it and read it. I am 100% sure I had what I thought was a mailer boxed aquaman in my collection years ago, I need to dig up the picture to find what the number on the box was.

mikej
        WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• megoapesnut
          The name says it all!
          • Dec 3, 2007

Originally posted by imp
          I have asked my publisher repeatedly, but he has no interest in a second printing. I have considered self-publishing a revised Second Edition, perhaps even serialized by chapter. I'm not sure…. At this point, the answer is "no," I'm afraid.

-b
          Any thoughts on publishing a digital version of the book for tablets? I don't think it is too difficult to publish a digital Kindle book via Amazon, thus making it available to all tablet forms.

Comment

• imp
            Mego Book Author
            • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by megoapesnut
            Any thoughts on publishing a digital version of the book for tablets? I don't think it is too difficult to publish a digital Kindle book via Amazon, thus making it available to all tablet forms.
            Way back in 2007, my publisher generated a digital Web copy of the final, press-ready book and World's Greatest Toys! was available online for a very short period. On reflection, I asked that it be taken offline and not offered as a digital download.

Screen sizes have only decreased in the years since, and this book was always intended to be a large-format, hardcover book filled with giant, full-color photography that truly represented all the wonderful textures of cloth and material that Mego used to manufacture the World's Greatest Super-Heroes. My goal with the book was to recreate the tactile sensations and larger-than-life experience Mego toys gave us as children. No tablet can offer that, and as long as people are consuming books on iPads, Kindles, Samsungs and Droids, World's Greatest Toys! will remain unavailable as an e-Book.

-b

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I would swear I recall a post saying that a revised second-edition trade paper-back was being considered--Am I mistaken?

(I'm too lazy to sort through posts, I admit it.)
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• imp
                Mego Book Author
                • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                I would swear I recall a post saying that a revised second-edition trade paper-back was being considered--Am I mistaken?
                Yes, it was briefly considered. And I would have been game for it, but as I understand it, there is insufficient demand to warrant a 2nd Edition (either Hardcover or Paperback).

-b

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by imp
                  Way back in 2007, my publisher generated a digital Web copy of the final, press-ready book and World's Greatest Toys! was available online for a very short period. On reflection, I asked that it be taken offline and not offered as a digital download.

Screen sizes have only decreased in the years since, and this book was always intended to be a large-format, hardcover book filled with giant, full-color photography that truly represented all the wonderful textures of cloth and material that Mego used to manufacture the World's Greatest Super-Heroes. My goal with the book was to recreate the tactile sensations and larger-than-life experience Mego toys gave us as children. No tablet can offer that, and as long as people are consuming books on iPads, Kindles, Samsungs and Droids, World's Greatest Toys! will remain unavailable as an e-Book.

-b
                  I agree, a large part of your book's raison d'être are the big, gorgeous, detailed photos throughout. I have no problem reading prose books on a tablet, but that method just doesn't do justice to large books filled with photos such as yours.

Comment

• megoapesnut
                    The name says it all!
                    • Dec 3, 2007

I agree as well and, having a copy of the book, I love the gorgeous photography. I also appreciate your thoughts and feelings on the subject as well, Ben. As it is your book, it is certainly your decision. I feel for people who don't have a copy and would very much like to read it. Also, if you know how to use the pinch to zoom function on tablets, viewing the photography at the sizes meant to be viewed, or even larger, is very simple.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎