X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imp
    Mego Book Author
    • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
    Well, a lot of those Franken Aquamen turned up in the UK in the 1990s, where they had been sitting. I am just inclined to think those figures with Type 2 lion rock monster hands originated from Hong Kong. The people I got these from had been sitting on them for ages. I knew them in the 1980s. Also, in the 1980s, those blow molded "Super Powers" figures appeared wearing a mix of Captain Action and Mego 12" parts. Straight from Hong Kong they was. A Canadian chain called "Dollarama" has been selling "Warriors of Virtue" figures from 1997 this year, 15 year old action figures just started cropping up. I keep wondering what else they're gonna find.
    All fascinating points you make, sir. Based on everything you just stated -- especially the fact you knew of them in the 80s -- it sounds like these nutty Aquaman figures did come straight out of HK factories packed like this. Good to learn all that stuff, thanks for sharing.

-b

Comment

• RickD
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 31, 2011

keeping on the Mailer box theme this is my only one i've seen for sale so I went for it. I really love the mailer boxed megos to

Mailer Box Joker Mobile

Comment

• imp
        Mego Book Author
        • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by 80stoyman
        keeping on the Mailer box theme this is my only one i've seen for sale so I went for it. I really love the mailer boxed megos to

Mailer Box Joker Mobile
        Great piece! Two observations:

1) That box is printed with both the SEARS Item number and the Mego Item Number (#51334). Pretty cool!

2) #51334 is actually the Mego Item Number for the Mobile Batlab, not the Jokermobile (which was actually #51336). This inaccuracy is not surprising, since SEARS offered both vehicles simultaneously, and -- as we have previously discussed in this thread -- someone in the SEARS fulfillment dept. probably just switched boxes.

Gotta love them Mego Mailer Mysteries!

-b

Comment

• kresge1
          Museum_Bozo
          • Jun 20, 2001

Ben!!
          Here is some more positive reinforcement to our theory about catalog employees changing the history of our beloved megos and tampering with all that is sacred in all things "MEGO"
          I just purchased a Grandma walton JC Penny mailer. This is my second one. Her correct catalog item # is 921-6367
          the one i just received has the item # 921-6334, which is pop waltons catalog #
          but what its interesting is this one has grandma waltons shipping label with all her correct info, her name and her # but glued over the 34 on both sides is a typed adhesive with the # 67...therefore proving this was done at the factory!!!
          Last edited by kresge1; Nov 3, '12, 2:21 PM.
          Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• kresge1
            Museum_Bozo
            • Jun 20, 2001

image.jpgimage.jpg

ok Ben, now we have to figure out what reason 52 is! LOL
            Last edited by kresge1; Nov 2, '12, 9:11 PM.

Comment

• imp
              Mego Book Author
              • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by kresge1
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]2596[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2595[/ATTACH]

ok Ben, now we have to figure out what reason 52 is! LOL
              I'm confused. These boxes you just shared have the item number "6367" not "6775" (Grandma) or "6334" (Pop), so who originally received number "6367"?

-b

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I was surprised to see Palitoy's comment on the quality of closeout carded Aquamen. I got a yellow-carded ACurry from Anthony Belasco in the late '90s that was a very nice late-version T2. The head deco was good.

But it wasn't a "Frankenstein" version--I wonder if that makes the difference?
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• kresge1
                  Museum_Bozo
                  • Jun 20, 2001

I just edited the post..there is no #75 its the #67
                  this should clear it up
                  Vinny

Originally posted by imp
                  I'm confused. These boxes you just shared have the item number "6367" not "6775" (Grandma) or "6334" (Pop), so who originally received number "6367"?

-b

Comment

• kresge1
                    Museum_Bozo
                    • Jun 20, 2001

I just found these in the closet
                    I have issues
                    image.jpg

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                      Permanent Member
                      • Mar 7, 2011

Originally posted by imp
                      And an incredible wedding it was. Your Jokermobile is the cover of the book! Also, I remember visiting Louie from L and L Collectibles on that same trip to San Francisco (Go Giants!); he and his wife Laura provided access to some key 1st Issue/Kresge Cards!

Bryan, I am going to dig out some of those insane charts for another Behind-The-Scenes post later today! Thanks for the props, gang. Now off to Google "Neal Cassady".

-b
                      Love Louie and Laura... got some of my best Megos from them... plus Laura always sends me orange tootsie pops lol

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                        Permanent Member
                        • Mar 7, 2011

Originally posted by imp
                        My book turns five years-old today.

Now out-of-print, WORLD'S GREATEST TOYS! was published on October 25, 2007. On my own 5th birthday -- way back in nineteen-amummbledy -- my parents gifted me several Mego action figures (I still call 'em dolls) and those Super-Heroes changed my life. Some thirty years later, I devoted several years to creating an obsessively thorough examination of my favorite childhood toys. So Mego really changed my life twice.

In the spirit of honoring the book today, I plan to post some never-before-seen behind-the-scenes pictures of the world's most comprehensive toy tome on Facebook today. I will mark these images as "Public" so anyone who subscribes to my updates can see 'em.

Thanks to all who supported the book over the past nine (nine!) years… from inception in 2003, to publication in 2007, to OOP status in 2012.

-b

Is there any chance that someone would do another run of the book???

Comment

• imp
                          Mego Book Author
                          • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by Bronxboykev
                          Is there any chance that someone would do another run of the book???
                          I have asked my publisher repeatedly, but he has no interest in a second printing. I have considered self-publishing a revised Second Edition, perhaps even serialized by chapter. I'm not sure…. At this point, the answer is "no," I'm afraid.

-b

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

With what it's demanding on the secondary market, surely a revised second edition would be profitable?
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• imp
                              Mego Book Author
                              • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              With what it's demanding on the secondary market, surely a revised second edition would be profitable?
                              I wish, but not necessarily. A FEW collectors willing to spend more money to acquire an OOP title does not translate into any increased book sales; it merely ensures a FEW book sales to a FEW collectors. I have no evidence there are more than 10-20 people looking to acquire this book at any price, be it $20 or $200. Creating a revised Second Edition probably isn't worth ANYBODY'S time. I just happen to really like the book, and want as many collectors as possible to get the opportunity to enjoy it.

-b

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

I guess that, because of reMego items and my own obsessive love of vintage toys, I forget what a niche community we are.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎