X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imp
    Mego Book Author
    • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by UnderdogDJLSW
    Ben, Your book is fantastic and you are the reason I found this site. Your blurb in the pages of Entertainment Weekly promoting the book will forever be imprinted in my brain as vivid as my memory of my young self in a Toys R Us opening a solid box Robin to see what was inside
    WOW. The amount of "Made My Day" packed into that single comment exceeds my Recommended Daily Allowance of Awesome. This calls for a Prize-Pak.

Check out the three out-of-print items in this photo: 1) John Bonavita's Mego catalog magazine; 2) Post-announcement Twomorrows promotional postcard and; 3) Original pre-announcement promotional postcard (very scarce).

If you need any or all three of these items, shoot me a PM with your full name and mailing address, and I'll ship you a package today.

Thanks for the sweet message.

-b

Comment

• kresge1
      Museum_Bozo
      • Jun 20, 2001

Ben
      Your box is full!!!
      Ben
      I would love a packet of those three pieces of mego goodness for my Lil man

Also i need to pick your amazing brain in reagrds to the catalog boxes
      Were all the heroes made in catalog mailer boxes??
      How many heroes were distributed through the Dorothy Wizard of oz Boxes # 51500/1

thanks Vinny
      Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• imp
        Mego Book Author
        • Apr 20, 2003

Hi Vinny,

Thanks for asking. They are not for sale, I'm afraid.

I would be happy to try to answer any additional Mailer Box questions you may have. Regarding your questions above:

"Were all the heroes made in catalog mailer boxes??"

For Retail Catalog Boxes, NO. To my knowledge (and I tried to collect every catalog from every mail order store from every feasible production year, to fully research the issue), the following WGSH characters were never offered in any of the major U.S. and Canada mail order retailers, including Sears, Montgomery Ward, Alden's, JC Penney, etc. (in chronological order of Mego release):

Aquaman
        Tarzan
        Supergirl
        Green Arrow
        Iron Man
        Thor
        Conan
        Fantastic Four (Thing, Human Torch, Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Girl)
        Teen Titans (Aqualad, Kid Flash, Wondergirl, Speedy)

The following WGSH were extremely limited, offered only once:

Mr. Mxyzptlk (Montgomery Ward in 1974)
        Green Goblin (Montgomery Ward in 1976)
        Lizard (Montgomery Ward in 1976)
        Falcon (JC Penney in 1975)

Again, it's important to remember that we're talking about RETAIL Mail Order boxes here. Mego produced their OWN Mailer Boxes (for places like Heroes World), which feature the Mego item number printed on the box. For instance, I believe you have an Iron Man Mailer Box (the only specimen I have ever seen, incidentally), and it is the Mego Mailer Box, which features the Mego item number (51300/5). To my knowledge, Iron Man was never offered through a Retail Catalog.

"How many heroes were distributed through the Dorothy Wizard of oz Boxes # 51500/1"

Tough question to answer, because there was a period some time back, when unethical eBay sellers were cramming WGSH figures into (relatively common) WOZ Mailer Boxes. Aquaman, at the end of Mego's WGSH run, is the only character that I believe was packaged in Dorothy and Tin Woodsman boxes. There were large quantities of these combinations (reportedly picked up from a U.S. distributor) and they invariably featured later-issued Aquaman variations, which leads me to believe it was an end-of-run product blow-out.

I'd love to hear if you have come across any additional insights or information.

-b

Comment

• kresge1
          Museum_Bozo
          • Jun 20, 2001

Ben
          Here is what I have :

Catalog mailer boxes from mego:

Batman:
          1. RC batman # 48-24425. MONTGOMERY WARDS
          2. Batman # 1301-MO. JC PENNYS
          3. Batman # 51500/1 DB. SEARS

Superman:
          4. Superman # 48-24424. MONTGOMERY WARDS
          5. Superman(T2) # C51300. SEARS

Robin:
          6.Robin # M51302. SEARS
          7. Robin # 1302-MO. JC PENNYS
          8. Robin # 1302-MO. JC PENNYS

Auqaman:
          9. Auqaman # 48-24505. MONTGOMERY WARDS
          10. Auqaman # 51500/1 DB. SEARS

Shazam:
          11. Shazam # M51304. SEARS

Captain America:
          12. Captain America # M51304

Falcon:
          13. Falcon # M51300/4
          SEARS
          14. Falcon # M51300/4 SEARS

Hulk:
          15. Hulk # M 51307 w/brown tape

Batgirl:
          16. Batgirl # 923-0897. JCPENNYS

Isis:
          17. Isis # 925-5050. JC PENNYS

Catwoman:
          18. Catwoman # 48G-24424. MONTGOMERY WARDS

Penguin:
          19. Penguin # 923-0889. JC PENNY'S

Riddler:
          20. Riddler # 923-0186. JC PENNY'S

Joker:
          21. Joker # 48-24506. MONTGOMERY WARDS

Iron man:
          22. Iron man #M51300/5. SEARS
          Spider man :
          23. Spiderman #51500/1 DB
          SEARS

Scotty (trek):
          24. Scotty # 51200/5. SEARS
          25. Klingon # 51500/1. DB
          SEARS

Wizard of Oz:
          26. Dorothy # 51500/1. SEARS
          27. Cowardly lion # 51500/2. SEARS
          28. Tim man# 51500/2. SEARS
          29. Wizard # 51500/1. DB. SEARS
          30. Wizard # 51500/1. DB. SEARS
          31. Scarecrow # 51500/4 SEARS

Happy days:
          32. Potsy # 925-5258. Jc penny's
          33. Richie # 925-5241. Jc penny's
          34. Fonzie # 925-0598 Jc penny's
          35. Chopper # 925-0606 Jc penny's

Walton's:
          36. Pop # 921-6334 Jc penny's
          37. Mom # 921-6359 Jc penny's
          38. .Grandma # 921-6367 Jc penny's
          39. Grandpa # 921-6375 Jc penny's
          40. John boy # 921-6318 Jc penny's

Planet of the apes:
          41. Astronaut # 1963-MO
          JC. Penny's

Monsters:
          42. Lincoln :
          Spiegel mailer (1975)
          Frankenstein , Dracula , wolf man, mummy , victim
          Catalog #. 57J5036

Comment

• kresge1
            Museum_Bozo
            • Jun 20, 2001

Ben
            Feel free to clarify anything I might have wrong

Comment

• imp
              Mego Book Author
              • Apr 20, 2003

Hi Vinny,

Thassa lotta Mego Mailer Boxes! I don't have time to cross-reference everything but you appear to have a lot of problems with those figure/box combinations. I will try to respond off the top of my head to some of the WGSH you posted (in BOLD).

Batman:
              1. RC batman # 48-24425. MONTGOMERY WARDS CORRECT

2. Batman # 1301-MO. JC PENNYS NOT PENNEY. MEGO.

3. Batman # 51500/1 DB. SEARS WRONG BOX. NOT EVEN WGSH. PROBABLY WIZARD OF OZ.

Superman:
              4. Superman # 48-24424. MONTGOMERY WARDS CORRECT

5. Superman(T2) # C51300. SEARS NOT SEARS. MEGO.

Robin:
              6.Robin # M51302. SEARS NOT SEARS. MEGO.

7. Robin # 1302-MO. JC PENNYS NOT PENNEY. MEGO.

8. Robin # 1302-MO. JC PENNYS NOT PENNEY. MEGO.

Auqaman:
              9. Auqaman # 48-24505. MONTGOMERY WARDS NOT AQUAMAN'S BOX, BUT I BELIEVE IT IS ANOTHER WGSH. AQUAMAN NEVER OFFERED.

10. Auqaman # 51500/1 DB. SEARS WRONG BOX. NOT EVEN WGSH. PROBABLY WIZARD OF OZ. AGAIN: AQUAMAN NEVER OFFERED.

Shazam:
              11. Shazam # M51304. SEARS NOT SHAZAM. CAPTAIN AMERICA. SEE YOUR NEXT ITEM BELOW.

Captain America:
              12. Captain America # M51304 CORRECT. MEGO BOX

Falcon:
              13. Falcon # M51300/4 SEARS NOT SEARS. MEGO.

14. Falcon # M51300/4 SEARS NOT SEARS. MEGO.

Hulk:
              15. Hulk # M 51307 w/brown tape NOT HULK. THIS IS FOR SHAZAM. HEY, LUCKY YOU!

Batgirl:
              16. Batgirl # 923-0897. JCPENNYS CORRECT

Isis:
              17. Isis # 925-5050. JC PENNYS CORRECT

Catwoman:
              18. Catwoman # 48G-24424. MONTGOMERY WARDS PROBABLY CORRECT. WOULD HAVE TO CONFIRM.

Penguin:
              19. Penguin # 923-0889. JC PENNY'S PROBABLY CORRECT. WOULD HAVE TO CONFIRM.

Riddler:
              20. Riddler # 923-0186. JC PENNY'S PROBABLY CORRECT. IT WOULD HAVE TO BE 1976, AND WOULD HAVE TO CONFIRM.

Joker:
              21. Joker # 48-24506. MONTGOMERY WARDS PROBABLY CORRECT. WOULD HAVE TO CONFIRM.

Iron man:
              22. Iron man #M51300/5. SEARS NOT SEARS. MEGO.

23. Spiderman #51500/1 DB SEARS WRONG BOX. NOT EVEN WGSH. PROBABLY WIZARD OF OZ.

Hope that helps. And DUDE. You really should have bought my book.

-b

Comment

• kresge1
                Museum_Bozo
                • Jun 20, 2001

Thanks Ben
                It helps alot!!
                I did buy your book. I think I am # 8
                The funny thing is the hulk came in that box. The shazam came in caps Box. Separate auctions And sellers.

So all the boxes with the Mego #'s are Mego boxes

Comment

• imp
                  Mego Book Author
                  • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by kresge1
                  Thanks Ben
                  It helps alot!!
                  I did buy your book. I think I am # 8
                  The funny thing is the hulk came in that box. The shazam came in caps Box. Separate auctions And sellers.

So all the boxes with the Mego #'s are Mego boxes
                  Yeah, I was just busting your chops. Yes, all the ones with Mego item numbers are from Mego; each of the "catalog houses" (i.e. retailers) had their own internal numbering systems. Pretty awesome that you can do some figure-swapping and get some nice, accurate Mailer Boxes.

But as far as the WGSH figures you have in boxes marked "#51500/1"…? You might as well take 'em out and display 'em, because those are basically loose figures.

-b

Comment

• kresge1
                    Museum_Bozo
                    • Jun 20, 2001

Ben
                    When you get a chance. Any help figuring out which figure goes with this.

9. Auqaman # 48-24505. MONTGOMERY WARDS NOT AQUAMAN'S BOX, BUT I BELIEVE IT IS ANOTHER WGSH. AQUAMAN NEVER OFFERED.

Also the Aquaman was just thrown into the Dorothy box near the end
                    Box # 51500/1
                    Correct?
                    Sorry for hijacking your thread and for the public back and forth, but your PM box is full

Comment

• imp
                      Mego Book Author
                      • Apr 20, 2003

Ben
                      When you get a chance. Any help figuring out which figure goes with this.

Also the Aquaman was just thrown into the Dorothy box near the end
                      Box # 51500/1
                      Correct?
                      Sorry for hijacking your thread and for the public back and forth, but your PM box is full
                      Hey it's my pleasure. I love talking about the Mailer Box stuff. I will see if I can dig up the answer to your "Aquaman" box from Ward. I am 100% sure it is not Aquaman, as no retailer ever offered Aquaman. The fools!

And yes, it is my belief that overstock of late-issue Aquaman figures (such as those packed on over-run Superman 2nd Issue backers) were jammed into over-run Dorothy and Tin Man boxes.

I'll post again if I can dig up the Ward answer; I'm not sure whether I still own the necessary Ward catalogs, but I may be able to figure it out from book reference scans and other sources.

-b

Comment

• imp
                        Mego Book Author
                        • Apr 20, 2003

I found it! Turns out I do still have all my Monkey Ward catalogs. The box in question, Item Number 48-24505 belongs to…

…drum roll…

PENGUIN. Specifically, Penguin as offered in the 1974 Montgomery Ward catalog. In fact, on the same page as the infamous "Secret Identity" outfits.

So there ya go. Just like THAT, you went from thinking you had TWO Mailer Boxed Aquaman figures to knowing you have ZERO Mailer Boxed Aquaman figures. Sometimes it sucks to be the messenger. I'm sorry about that! But hey! At least you now have a new Penguin Mailer Box you didn't know you had!

-b

Comment

• kresge1
                          Museum_Bozo
                          • Jun 20, 2001

Thanks Ben
                          It's all good. Trying to keep accurate information for the catalogs. So the hunt continues

Comment

• kresge1
                            Museum_Bozo
                            • Jun 20, 2001

Ben
                            I got a question for you . The catwoman I have is in catalog # 48-24424 which is the superman catalog box. It has a piece of. Brown tap with the name catwoman written across it

Also the box the hulk came in 51307. Also has brown tape on it with that same type of brown tape with the catalog # witten on it

Also that box the Aquaman came in # 48-24505 has tht same brown tape with a large A written on it
                            Can this bethe way the factory sent them out??

Comment

• imp
                              Mego Book Author
                              • Apr 20, 2003

Can this be the way the factory sent them out??
                              For Catwoman, yes it could be conceivable the factory or the Ward catalog fulfillment house (which typically had extra boxes available), accidentally put a Catwoman in a Superman (i.e. wrong) box, but IT IS UNLIKELY.

For Hulk, what do you mean? Is it an otherwise blank/unprinted box? Are there no other markings at all? And are you saying there is brown tape, upon which someone hand-wrote "51307" on it?

For Aquaman, this is where you lose me. Whereas I stated above it could be conceivable Catwoman got stuffed into a Superman box by a factory worker or catalog house employee, your Aquaman box ruins this hypothesis. Aquaman was NEVER offered anywhere, by any catalog house, EVER. It would have been impossible for a catalog employee to have put an Aquaman figure in a Penguin box, because they would have never even SEEN an Aquaman figure.

I get that you're hoping to legitimize these figure/box combinations… hoping to confirm the possibility a FACTORY or a CATALOG HOUSE put them together this way, somehow making them authentic and accurate, but…

I would lean toward the principle of Occam's razor. The idea that, all things being equal, the choice with the fewest assumptions is likely the correct choice. Your catalog box collection, when looked at as a whole, leads me to believe we're looking at simple USER-ERRORS. Over the years, previous owners have simply gotten the boxes mixed up. Take your Hulk, for instance. Is it possible the factory or Catalog House wrote Captain America's item number on the box? Sure. Is it likely? Not even a little bit.

These are your babies, and you can do with 'em as you please. Keep 'em as they are, switch 'em up, whatever. I would be inclined to cross-reference each box with a manufacturer, retailer/catalog, character and year, and then re-pair them to match the historical documention.

You have an amazing Mego Catalog Box collection, my friend. The biggest I have ever seen. I am green with envy, and I appreciate you sharing it!

-b

Comment

• kresge1
                                Museum_Bozo
                                • Jun 20, 2001

Ben
                                Book Author and Physicist!! I bow to superior knowledge.
                                Do you think William of Ockham in all of his infinite wisdom would have expected his maxim to be used by two grown men discussing action figures! LOL
                                I looked over my catalog boxes today and in regards to the Box # 48-24505 with the aquaman in question and its just a hand written A on the box, so i believe this is just from the previous owner, perhaps he was packing up a few items and needed to mark them , so he would not mix them up

I have included pics of the other two items in question. The box the hulk came in has brown tape shellaced over the # stamped on the box in two places and the # M51307 written over it
                                The box the catwoman came in # 48-24424 has the name catwoman written on one of the flaps and a shipping label from montgomery wards affixed to it, but there is not a character name written on it
                                Trust me when i tell you that while i might be a bit dissappointed that these can possibly be wrong i am more interested in being accurate, hence me reaching out to you for the answers. I figured you could add some insight.
                                We have to be able to discuss possibilities/ scenarios/ human error to find out the historical truth. While Occam's razor will definitely lead us to say the path of least assumption is most likely the correct one, i dont think it can eliminate all possibilities. We have to be able to question the past or theories/ maxims, they have to be open to discussion to be proven right or wrong. " the unexamined life is not worth living"

Anyway, looking forward to your input on the pictures. Whats the worst that it could be then...two mailer penguins and two mailer captain americas and another original mailer superman. Makes for excellent trade bait021.jpg024.jpg023.jpg025.jpg
                                Last edited by kresge1; Oct 28, '12, 7:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎