X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beartex2000
    For display only!!
    • Jun 2, 2007

repairing Big Jim.....

Has anyone had any success on the discoloring problem on Big Jim arms? It seems similiar to graying problems some mego heads suffer from. Also, does anyone know of anyone making repro Big Jim hands? I have a few handless Jims I would like to restore. Thanks!
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

Nope, I don't fix 'em, I just replace 'em. I had to replace Dr. Steel's hand b/c it split down the middle between the fingers. I had a headless Jim for parts and replaced his hand (or was it his whole arm?) It was a long time ago. But the poor Dr. is just a regular Jim now. No shiny hand.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Marvelmania
      A Ray of Sunshine
      • Jun 17, 2001

I've got a couple of extra Big Jim arms w/ hands I'll give you. I used to use them when I was making plasti-dip gloves for my megos. The color is still good on them but there are a few spots of plasti-dip on them. You should be able to clean them up if you want to give it a try. Just let me know.

Comment

• beartex2000
        For display only!!
        • Jun 2, 2007

pm sent

thanks!

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
          Museum Super Collector
          • May 18, 2007

Try Armorall to clean the arms or Tire Magic. Both are made to get dirt off rubber which these arms soak up like a spong. The arms may have changed color over the years but a clean discolored arm is still better than a dirty one!
          - Sweep

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
            Career Member
            • May 14, 2007

Originally posted by beartex2000
            Has anyone had any success on the discoloring problem on Big Jim arms? It seems similiar to graying problems some mego heads suffer from. Also, does anyone know of anyone making repro Big Jim hands? I have a few handless Jims I would like to restore. Thanks!
            I sell ALOT of Big Jim repro parts and decals. I do some repair work too. There is only ONE thing that will clean Big Jim arms and thats: Dawn Power Dissolver. My secret weapon is out. It's a gel like liquid and I just really coat the arms with it. Let it set for about 30 minutes and then scrub with a old tooth brush or buff it with a paper towel. Most if not all of the scum will wipe off. Nothing else will work: soap, armorall, tire magic... Tried them all.

Originally posted by HardyGirl
            Nope, I don't fix 'em, I just replace 'em. I had to replace Dr. Steel's hand b/c it split down the middle between the fingers. I had a headless Jim for parts and replaced his hand (or was it his whole arm?) It was a long time ago. But the poor Dr. is just a regular Jim now. No shiny hand.
            This is how I fix/build Dr. Steel. Mask off the figures arm till you only have the hand exposed. Shoot a couple light coats of primer, then a couple coats of Chrome bumper spray. Let all of this dry/cure for a day. Then paint on some Future Floor wax. This will seal the paint and keep it shiny. Regular clear coat in a rattle can will dull the finish. I sell Dr. Steel repro chest decals too.

Originally posted by Tim Arnold
            I've got a couple of extra Big Jim arms w/ hands I'll give you. I used to use them when I was making plasti-dip gloves for my megos. The color is still good on them but there are a few spots of plasti-dip on them. You should be able to clean them up if you want to give it a try. Just let me know.

That's the best way to replace Big Jim arms. If you have one that's missing a hand or the arm is split: Just pop them off and replace with better one's. You can pop the hands out too, but the pins may strip out.

If anyone wants I would be glad to e-mail you some of Big Jim flyers. I repro about 30 - 40 items now. I can be reached at this addy --> aadesign@nctc.com

Bob

Comment

• Marvelmania
              A Ray of Sunshine
              • Jun 17, 2001

Cool of you to share the info Bob.

Comment

• beartex2000
                For display only!!
                • Jun 2, 2007

thanks!

thats a lot of info! thanks guys!

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • May 18, 2007

Bob - I will give your Dawn suggestion a try but, for the record, I have been using Armorall to clean these things for years and it works just fine. I just did the arms of two figures this past weekend using the Armorall wipes and it took me less than a minute for each figure with no soaking. It pulled quite a bit of dirt off both figures arms and turned the wipe black
                  - Sweep

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                    MeGoing
                    • May 14, 2003

Thanks for the handy tips Bob. Sure would have saved me a lot of time using one of your decals shrunken when I made my Mego Dr Steel, instead of drawing it. I'll keep it in mind anyhow...

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                      Career Member
                      • May 14, 2007

Glad to be of some help.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎