Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

Couple more Captain Action reviews coming your way. First up is the SDCC variant, or at least, a recreation of such.

Infinite Hollywood: Italian Capitano in Azione Review

And we follow that up with the Deluxe Captain America set, which went awry for me in a variety of unfun ways.

Infinite Hollywood: Captain Action Deluxe Captain America Costume Review

Comment

• Remco Monster
      GLOWS in the Dark!
      • May 3, 2006

Yeah, I decided to pass on the Capt. outfit.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

As I said earlier, my Steve Rogers mask looks fine. Very Kirby-looking. But my wife combed ebay auction pics to find a good one.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Yeah, the Captain America Deluxe set had many a person up in arms initially because of the way one reviewer shot them before they were released. As you stated, the mask was not placed on CA properly, so the Steve Rogers mask ended up looking malformed and out of proportion. That mask not only has to be on the head right, but the front of the mask actually slides under Cap's chin. That gives it a nice, snug fit. I'm very pleased you took note of that with your review. Nailed it! As far as the mask showing it's a mask from the profile shot, I think that's a nod to the original series. In that initial series many masks were two pieces, so I think when they made these modern ones slide over, it was probably decided to give a little room to show it's a mask as a nod to that original idea. I'm also one who believes in keeping with that theme. If you had interchangeable heads, then it removes the purpose of having Captain Action as a masked hero. That mask IS the novelty and the nostalgia. Captain Action would have no merit. I display him and the heroes. But if your a person who just wants one Captain, then your can buy the outfits and that one figure can be all those heroes. Having the mask just makes it that much more unique.

With regards to quality control issues, I didn't have any problems with the tabs on the shields, but I did take note of how fragile they were when I was putting the straps on. So when you said yours broke, I was not remotely surprised. Sorry that happen to you. And I do hope Customer Service replaces them. Please keep us posted on that. Companies need to always stand behind their product. I like my Captain America quite a bit. But I will say this. I wish they would have put the closed mouth expression on Cap, like they did Steve Rogers. Had they done that, I think it would have NAILED the artistic depiction from Jack Kirby. But that open mouth expression seems kind of lost. He's showing his teeth like he's smiling, but he really isn't. It's a bit vague, so I don't quite get the Kirby look on Cap. That and they pointed his wings up instead of sideways. I wish I had access to Photo Shop to illustrate those changes. I bet he would look spot on as Kirby's Cap then.

On the Italian variant, I saw pics of that when it was advertised as a convention special and passed. Like you said, it was just CA with existing pieces rearranged. And I agree, they were gold digging on that special. There was no justification for that price, except to take advantage of the collector. I can make that variant without spending one extra dime. And it would be ridiculously easy to have a custom box made to match.

All of this said, Round 2 has come a long way since that initial set up. The Thor costume and mask are PERFECT. The hammer, amazing. Loki also looks very good. The variant Arctic Adventurer is also a nice twist that I enjoyed. So Round 2 is listening and getting better each time. I think they're in a strong place now with their product, so my concerns are few. Captain America was essentially the first costume set. So I kind of look at that as the sacrificial lamb for everything that came after. Still a good costume set for certain. But it would be fun if they revisited that set again as a future Christmas special/limited run, remodeling the head to address what they know now. I would buy it. Thanks again for another great set of reviews ODBJBG. Enjoyable as always.

Comment

• ODBJBG
            Permanent Member
            • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by MIB41
            Yeah, the Captain America Deluxe set had many a person up in arms initially because of the way one reviewer shot them before they were released. As you stated, the mask was not placed on CA properly, so the Steve Rogers mask ended up looking malformed and out of proportion. That mask not only has to be on the head right, but the front of the mask actually slides under Cap's chin. That gives it a nice, snug fit. I'm very pleased you took note of that with your review. Nailed it! As far as the mask showing it's a mask from the profile shot, I think that's a nod to the original series. In that initial series many masks were two pieces, so I think when they made these modern ones slide over, it was probably decided to give a little room to show it's a mask as a nod to that original idea. I'm also one who believes in keeping with that theme.
            Understandable about the side profile. I don't love it, but I get it. I was surprised how well the masks fit, but at the same time I was also surprised how easy it was to make the mask (especially Rogers) look really wonky. If it doesn't slide on just right, it looks bad. I suspect that's why a lot of people didn't like it, because they probably never got it on right. When it's on right, it does look good.

With regards to quality control issues, I didn't have any problems with the tabs on the shields, but I did take note of how fragile they were when I was putting the straps on. So when you said yours broke, I was not remotely surprised. Sorry that happen to you. And I do hope Customer Service replaces them. Please keep us posted on that. Companies need to always stand behind their product.
            Yeah I'm curious to see what Round 2 will say, because of everything I was most disappointed in that. I realize these are aimed at "adult collectors" but I can't imagine if a kid handled one if it broke that easy. I'm hoping maybe my set was just a bad one and that they'll replace them.

On the Italian variant, I saw pics of that when it was advertised as a convention special and passed. Like you said, it was just CA with existing pieces rearranged. And I agree, they were gold digging on that special. There was no justification for that price, except to take advantage of the collector. I can make that variant without spending one extra dime. And it would be ridiculously easy to have a custom box made to match.
            Yeah and if you want the gun, you can get it from Cotswold. That's clearly all they did.

All of this said, Round 2 has come a long way since that initial set up. The Thor costume and mask are PERFECT. The hammer, amazing. Loki also looks very good. The variant Arctic Adventurer is also a nice twist that I enjoyed. So Round 2 is listening and getting better each time. I think they're in a strong place now with their product, so my concerns are few. Captain America was essentially the first costume set. So I kind of look at that as the sacrificial lamb for everything that came after. Still a good costume set for certain. But it would be fun if they revisited that set again as a future Christmas special/limited run, remodeling the head to address what they know now. I would buy it. Thanks again for another great set of reviews ODBJBG. Enjoyable as always.
            I am working my way through those figures, so hopefully I'll have those reviews up soon. I appreciate the thorough feedback and am grateful you've been enjoying them!

Comment

• linuxitt
              Veteran Member
              • May 19, 2012

i was at TRU yesterday and found a bunch of arctic CA that had the emblems at their stomach. i wouldn't quiet say its a variation but it seems that they more they come out with the lower it gets for ex. 1st run basic white belt had it center chest, 2nd run silver belt had it lower, and now this

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

Here's a nice video review for the new Thor Deluxe outfit.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                  OH JES!!
                  • Jul 21, 2005

^^^^^ That's a cool review Thor will be my next pick up.....just to have, I like my captain action so i don't want to change him right away....

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                    OH JES!!
                    • Jul 21, 2005

My Captain Action with my Custom Action Girl

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Sweet custom Kingdom Warrior! I've heard alot of talk about an Action Girl coming to the shelves. I'm hoping they knock out Action Boy as well.

Comment

• Red Hulk
                        Career Member
                        • Dec 19, 2012

very awesome custom Lady Action Kingdom Warrior.

Comment

• Megotu
                          jerk
                          • Dec 16, 2001

737307_10151320453517486_1508643688_o.jpg

We are looking for a split level ranch with LOTS of extra closet space....
                          sigpic

Comment

• Robin NY
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Nov 13, 2008

awesome

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                              OH JES!!
                              • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Megotu
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]3354[/ATTACH]

We are looking for a split level ranch with LOTS of extra closet space....
                              LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                                OH JES!!
                                • Jul 21, 2005

^^^ Sweet custom Kingdom Warrior! I've heard alot of talk about an Action Girl coming to the shelves. I'm hoping they knock out Action Boy as well.
                                Yeah totally would love to see an official Lady action and defo a Action Boy......

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎