X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZICA
    Persistent Member
    • May 7, 2006

Mattel Battlestar Galactica Viper Launch Station

I just picked one of these up that was unused and found that the rubber bands had basically turned to goo and hardened on some of the plastic parts. I've been able to remove most of it by gently scratching it off but there is still some residue left. Anybody here have a suggestion for what might remove it completely without damaging the 30 year old plastic?
  • Delusional B
    Museum Super Collector
    • Nov 14, 2007

Not trying to be funny...but you might try Goo Gone. It does a great job of removing hardened adhesives. It might work on your "goo."
    Yesterville Toy Room

Comment

• ZICA
      Persistent Member
      • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by Delusional B
      Not trying to be funny...but you might try Goo Gone. It does a great job of removing hardened adhesives. It might work on your "goo."
      I'll probably try that but I've only used it on adhesives that still had some degree of "gooiness" to them. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Scraping's probably your best bet. Some of the excess goo is probably melted plastic and not just elastic residue.

Don C.

Comment

• ZICA
          Persistent Member
          • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by ctc
          Hmmmm....

Scraping's probably your best bet. Some of the excess goo is probably melted plastic and not just elastic residue.

Don C.
          Unfortunately it seems you're right. Goo Gone barely did anything and after a closer look it appears that the melted rubber bands had a reaction with the plastic. As it is now I'll probably be selling it because the condition isn't like what was described in the auction, not even close.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎