Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shellhead
    museum rustpot
    • Mar 1, 2007

Thats a great clip! Thanks T-Bolt for putting it up to view.
    An interesting factoid, the bearded gent at the end of the clip who asks "what's your name",
    is actor Franco Nero, whho was the first actor to play the character Django.
    Chris

Keepin' it Mego-ey !

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Okay, I will admit, I'm not a huge Tarantino fan (I know, blasphermous), but that trailer makes me want to see this movie. Always up for a good western, and I have no problem with breaking the conventions either.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Teemu
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 15, 2010

these will not sell many...I promise you that....Terrible license choice and not mego worthy

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Teemu
          these will not sell many...I promise you that....Terrible license choice and not mego worthy
          no, what it will do is bring non mego Tarantino fans into toy collecting.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Timothy2251
            Jerks beef with Ten Bears
            • Mar 15, 2008

Depends on how the figures ultimately turn out. If they're pretty close to the Mego/EMCE/BBP stuff, folks here might at least buy a set for their collections, multiples for customizing purposes.
            "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I take unimportant things too seriously!
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Teemu
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                no, what it will do is bring non mego Tarantino fans into toy collecting.
                Highly doubtful...there aren't too many new mego buying customers to begin with.Not everyone wants to buy toys just because of a movie.Besides the economy sucks and these figures are just another pea in the pot of the MANY toys that are out there on the market to buy.

Look at Zica's Buck Rogers,best 8" Mego type figures out on the market,but couldn't make it past two figures...why? because of sales were not there and it will be worse for this line.

its a Poor license choice,and with a movie that doesn't really look good at all.These will flop,get on clearance,watch and see.

and If Neca was SMART..they would be producing 8" The Walking Dead Mego's because that is what is hot right now
                Last edited by Teemu; Sep 8, '12, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

^^^^Zica's Buck was poor choice, no following, overpriced . Something with the Tarantino name attached will do well outside your little Mego world.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Teemu
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    ^^^^Zica's Buck was poor choice, no following, overpriced . Something with the Tarantino name attached will do well outside your little Mego world.
                    Whatever you say time will tell....and these are overpriced too

Tarantino's following isn't as big as you think...especially for a stupid looking movie license and then expecting it to sell....If these were Kill Bill 8" mego figures,then you'd have an arguement.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Its much bigger than Gil Gerard's Buck. 24.95 is not that overpriced. Most re-megos come in around 20 bucks. And hey these may actually look like the actors unlike Col. Austin. All the successful remego lines of late have crossover appeal-Kiss, Trek Universal Monsters. That is what's going to sell a line, just counting on a bunch of 40 plus year old Mego geeks is not going to do it.

Comment

• sprytel
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 26, 2009

I think (with maybe the exception of "Jackie Brown"?) there have been action figures for every Tarantino movie. So somebody must be buying them, right?

Comment

• Goblin19
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 2, 2002

If the movie's a hit, I may buy them. It's one of the only movies that I'm really looking forward to. It's an unusual choice, but not necessarily a poor one. Tarantino has a small, but devoted fan base, that are the types who are into collectibles and memoribilia.

Comment

• justzeg18
                            Career Member
                            • May 5, 2003

One of the cool things with all of this is that NECA is the second biggest (behind Mattel) to toss their hat in the ring of the re-mego and NECA has its own built in collector base.
                            That all works into the fact that they have the money to give it a good try, the business history and success to get distributors and retailers to give it a shot, and the scene cred to get a segment of the collecting community that may have never thought to buy an 8" clothed doll to give it a shot.

Also, NECA has dealt w/ smaller "risky" licenses in the past and managed to stay in business, so I think they have a good shot of making this work. At least as well as could be expected.
                            Last edited by justzeg18; Sep 10, '12, 10:23 PM. Reason: Needed to fix the incorrect company name.

Comment

• drmego
                              EMCE Toys
                              • Jun 15, 2001

The movie has a lot of good buzz, Tarantino movies frequently become breakout hits,
                              and NECA understands the market size going in.

Like any gamble, you try to identify the variables, but ultimately it comes down to
                              your gut instincts.

It is nice to hear other people saying what I have been trying to get across about the
                              realities of this market and the need to reach out to other audiences.
                              www.drmego.com
                              www.megoman.com
                              www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• drmego
                                EMCE Toys
                                • Jun 15, 2001

Did you mean Mattel? Or do you consider Hasbro's 9 inch figures 1/9 scale?

Originally posted by justzeg18
                                One of the cool things with all of this is that NECA is the second biggest (behind hasbro) to toss their hat in the ring
                                www.drmego.com
                                www.megoman.com
                                www.emcetoys.com

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎