Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

Also since when have the Daleks had a parliament?! And a prime minister? So do the Daleks have elections now? What a bunch of civilized chaps! I guess this is more off screen stuff that we're just supposed to make up for ourselves.

Just too much nonsense in this episode for me, but I'm glad some liked it. Theres certainly a lot of Who I love that others don't care for. It didn't ruin my viewing experience it was just a very poor episode, IMO.

The show had been very hit and miss for me lately with more miss than hit, but maybe a new companion will make things a bit better.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

So they went with an expert, and since Abslom Daak wasn't available they got the Doctor.
      I also found myself thinking how cool it would have been if the Daleks had also recruited Abslom Daak for the job.
      One day...
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mikey
        I also forgot to mention I like what they did with the intro.

It looks way better for this season

FF to 5:50

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

m
        Noticed that, it's tighter and I really like the new logo!
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

>since when have the Daleks had a parliament?! And a prime minister?

They've had an Emperor.... two, really.... since WAY back on the old show. I could see them having a parliament (of a sort) given their current predicament. Daleks are one of them weird races; since they have time travel like the Time Lords, they exist partially out of the regular time stream. So there's an absolute progression for the Daleks.... culminating in their defeat during the Time War. Because there are so many isolated bands of them out there.... isolated by time as well as space (hence seeing a bunch of older ones during the episode) they'd need some sort of new governing body. I could see the parliamentary model being used over the old totalitarian empire because there's bound to be limited opportunity for contact amongst some of the groups. So it's CALLED a parliament, but it's still pretty much the old Empire.

>do the Daleks have elections now?

Y'know.... I almost suspect they do. Kind of. In the olden days the job of Emperor went to the Dalek with the most experience; although there was some dissention when Davros was recovered, and the old Annuals from the 60's featured stories where different groups and individuals volleyed for position. We've also seen "made to order" leader types, which is what I suspect the dude in the jar was. Leadership would come about by consensus; an "idea" that would permeate the telepathic net and eventually infuse itself in each member. (Like how the idea of "save us" was so difficult for the first Dalek to articulate, but once he/she/it did the rest joined in unanimously.)

>I guess this is more off screen stuff that we're just supposed to make up for ourselves.

That's more or less how I see it. I can accept that there's a lot of stuff we don't know about going on during the time we're not seeing.... I can accept that with most stuff I like. As long as the inevitable official explanations don't contradict what I've already seen I'm okay. Dr Who is famous/notorious for that kind of thing, given how long it ran and how many hands were in the pie.... but sometimes you get something worthwhile out of the fray. The Cyberman were almost completely different each time you saw them, due mostly to better costume technology; which inspired the idea that you were seeing upgraded versions.

>I'm glad to see old Daleks back because the new ones look less interesting

You're right, but when you think of it advanced technology would be less interesting. You wouldn't need all the extra bumps, seams, plates, sticky-outie bits and the like. The simple, ipod-like designs (*snicker*) are a contrast to the plated and retrofit looking post timewar Daleks.

>how cool it would have been if the Daleks had also recruited Abslom Daak

Of all the things from the "expanded universe" Dr Who that NEED to come back, he tops my list.

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

Have the Daak comics ever been reprinted? I remember them being a fun read.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

I think i'm the only one that really don't mind the new Dalek design.

Yea, it's kinda of toyish but it's still Daleky

I also like the fact they reintroducted colors to Daleks

During the RTD era they were all gold.

Given the choice, I do like RTD Daleks best with Peter Cushing Daleks second best.

But, I could live with the new ones

Comment

• raider5gt
                Museum Tree Cutter
                • Nov 25, 2007

Originally posted by Mikey
                I think i'm the only one that really don't mind the new Dalek design.

Yea, it's kinda of toyish but it's still Daleky

I also like the fact they reintroducted colors to Daleks

During the RTD era they were all gold.

Given the choice, I do like RTD Daleks best with Peter Cushing Daleks second best.

But, I could live with the new ones
                I don't mind the new look Daleks now,they have grown on me,I like the fact they are different colours too and sound quite evil.

The cult of Skaro had the Black Dalek Sec.

I like the RTD Daleks also,they seem more of a solid design and the Daleks from Invasion Earth 2150AD

Never stand behind a cow when it sneezes.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

The bronze Daleks from 2005 are a great design, faithfully retaining the essence of the originals while adding a few cool new touches.

As for colour schemes, I really like the Genesis era Daleks... that dark grey and black combination always looked really evil.

(Which is why those were the two I picked up from the new talking Daleks range. )

Originally posted by palitoy
                  Have the Daak comics ever been reprinted? I remember them being a fun read.
                  The full Daak collection was last reprinted by Marvel UK in 1990.
                  The stories are definitely overdue for a reprint!

The most recent issue of Vworp Vworp was a special Abslom Daak issue, which featured interviews with the creators, a history of the character and his appearances, and even a previously unpublished Daak strip written by Steve Moore.

Last edited by Bruce Banner; Sep 6, '12, 2:08 PM.
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship had its moments...
                    The overly comedic tone of the episode got a little grating in places, but still not too bad, overall.

Last edited by Bruce Banner; Sep 9, '12, 4:44 AM.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• MEMEGO
                      Career Member
                      • Sep 6, 2007

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship - Loved it. I am glad that old treasure hunter got what he got for doing what he did.
                      Great episode

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Dinosaurs was like "meh"

It was ok but not great --- and I have seen a lot worse (even in the classic series)

The Queen and the Hunter would be PEREFCT new companions ... would love to see them stay

BTW, was one of the robot voices Matt Smith ?
                        Sure sounded like him

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

Just seemed so out of character for The Doctor to let someone die.

Comment

• bobws
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 13, 2008

SPOILERS BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!! Some of us haven't watched Dinos yet.
                            I always liked the new color Daleks as long as they were like department heads and not the average dalek.
                            "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Trying to be spoiler free.

I enjoyed it, I mean it was campy but it seemed to serve mostly as foreshadowing for the end of the Ponds.

The thing that made it for me was the injection of new people for no good reason, their interplay was fun. I hope those characters resurface.

The bad guy's demise reminded me of the end of the "The Ribos Operation" when the Doctor blows up the Graff.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                                Alan Scott is the best GL
                                • Aug 8, 2007

Didn't expcet to see Matt's Dr do that I would have expected that Chris Ecclestons Doctor, maybe even Colin or David Tennant (in the last season anyway)

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎