X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I thought it solid and entertaining.

Wish I'd watched "Pond life" prior to this as it foreshadowed their marital problems but otherwise I'm looking forward to this season if this is what we can expect.

Some really great dialogue in this one, lots of little nods to the series past and the comment about why the Daleks have a tough time destroying the Doctor was great.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

The more I think about a Dalek (already having an egg whisk attached) saying eggs...ter...minate, the more I have to laugh.
      What a cooking show that would be!
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

>Couldn't they have like TALKED about this? Nope she just apparently dumped him without ever telling him why and after he waited 1,000 years for her?!

I was discussing something similar for another show with the guys, co-inkey-dinkelly enough. This is one of them things we kinda KNOW what's going on, but don't feel it because of the nature of the show. It feels sudden, although the problems would have been building up a long time before the bits we saw.

>they did a whole episode around destroying ALL of those Daleks in Smith's first season

When you can travel through time, you can NEVER be completely eliminated. We've seen sniglets of the Dalek army before; the lone one on Earth, the battalion that had themselves in that weird iron maiden stasis thingie, the enclave of fanatical religious ones in 1930's Earth....

>The Daleks never really made it overwhelmingly clear why they needed to destroy their own asylum.

I thought it was because of the girl.... one of their experiments that went horribly awry on them. She was a threat, but she was too powerful and savy for them to eliminate themselves. So they went with an expert, and since Abslom Daak wasn't available they got the Doctor.

>why they would create a software that allows one Dalek to overtake all of their minds.

They didn't. The Daleks all share a telepathic/cybernetic link. She was on the system 'cos she WAS a Dalek, and their aarogance wouldn't let them acknowledge that their conversion process could be flawed. So when she resisted they had no way of fighting her.

>I guess Moffat forgot that whole episode he did about how Daleks destroy inferior Daleks.

But you gotta wonder WHICH Daleks? The Dalek race hasn't been homogenous since the original show, when the Doctor monkeyed with their DNA and they split into the Exterminator and Imperial lines. In the new show we've seen a couple more lines.... including the fanatics who broke with Dalek doctrine to create the "human Dalek."

I could almost see it as a sort of Dalek nostalgia; they were all but wiped out in the time war, and the groups of survivours are alone and isolated so they have a newfound appreciation for their own lives. They still hate the rest of the universe, but feel like IT won.... so now they slink off into their own little places to mull over the good ol' days. (Until someone comes up with a new plan; which is what the girl/Dalek was supposed to do. Or the human Dalek, or the upgraded ones.)

>Moffat makes a lot of illogical script decisions that don't bear scrutiny

Hmmmm.... I found his stuff the opposite; it DOES make sense, but you really gotta parse through it afterwards. Like he has interesting ideas, but isn't a skilled enough writer to bring them out naturally through the story.

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

The new Daleks were never out to kill the older ones. The units they destroyed in "Victory" were so unworthy of the name that their systems didn't even recognize them as Daleks.

They don't tolerate genetic inferiority.

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

I was half expecting the girl to turn out to be Davros.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

If she is going to be the next companion (somehow) i'm glad to see she's not from present day Earth and she's pretty darn smart --- We havent had a super smarty girl since Nyssa or even Zoe

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mikey
                If she is going to be the next companion (somehow) i'm glad to see she's not from present day Earth and she's pretty darn smart --- We havent had a super smarty girl since Nyssa or even Zoe
                And unlike Nyssa, she seems to have personality.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by palitoy
                  And unlike Nyssa, she seems to have personality.
                  True, Nyssa was very dull ... and her eyes looked like she was always stoned

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                    The new Daleks were never out to kill the older ones. The units they destroyed in "Victory" were so unworthy of the name that their systems didn't even recognize them as Daleks.

They don't tolerate genetic inferiority.
                    Yeah, but then why would they allow a human to essentially become the supreme Dalek? Or a Dalek at all?!

And I certainly wasn't the only one under the impression that all of the "regular" Daleks had been destroyed. That was the whole premise behind the new Ipod upgraded Daleks. You can't just suddenly pretend like all the Daleks get along. It just seemed odd to me and shoddy storytelling.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see old Daleks back because the new ones look less interesting (probably why they're barely shown in this episode) but I would have liked some sort of line or something, explaining why there were thousands of Daleks that didn't get upgraded.

Oh well, I'm probably too contrary, but the concept seemed much more interesting and less convoluted than what the episode actually was about.
                    Last edited by ODBJBG; Sep 3, '12, 9:32 PM.

Comment

• Captain Big Trousers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 14, 2012

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                      The more I think about a Dalek (already having an egg whisk attached) saying eggs...ter...minate, the more I have to laugh.
                      What a cooking show that would be!
                      Have you heard the Dalek "Relaxation For Humans" tape?

Moffat seems to enjoy a romp in the Who Universe, but he skips too many details IMO. Too many plot holes. Too many twists. Andeveryonespeaksmuchtooquicklysoitshardtofollow.

Also: crap chains.
                      Even My Henchmen Think I'm Crazy.

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                        Yeah, but then why would they allow a human to essentially become the supreme Dalek? Or a Dalek at all?!
                        'Cause I didn't say they were perfect! Oh and the concept of Daleks converting humans came from RTD in season 1. So he should take some blame for that.

And I certainly wasn't the only one under the impression that all of the "regular" Daleks had been destroyed. That was the whole premise behind the new Ipod upgraded Daleks. You can't just suddenly pretend like all the Daleks get along. It just seemed odd to me and shoddy storytelling.
                        So lots of people got the wrong impression, not sure what to do with that because lots of people like "honey boo boo" too. I never thought that was the whole premise of the new upgraded Daleks and didn't bat an eye when I saw a mingling. That's all I got, maybe I'm all alone, it really doesn't matter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see old Daleks back because the new ones look less interesting (probably why they're barely shown in this episode) but I would have liked some sort of line or something, explaining why there were thousands of Daleks that didn't get upgraded.
                        I'm sorry that ruined your enjoyment of the show, it was a non issue for me.

Comment

• ctc
                          Fear the monkeybat!
                          • Aug 16, 2001

>the concept of Daleks converting humans came from RTD in season 1.

Earlier, if you remember the original Daleks were mutated human-like Kaleds.

>You can't just suddenly pretend like all the Daleks get along. It just seemed odd to me and shoddy storytelling.

That's one of them things that I can easily see an explanation for, even though we don't get one during the episode. They referred to them as the Dalek council, so I could see them being a conglomeration of representatives from the different, currently existing enclaves of Daleks.... which we've seen over the years to NOT be of one mind. A Council perhaps convened in light of what I said earlier; the Dalek race feeling uncharacteristically vulnerable given the results of the Time War. Sure, they hate each other but they hate everyone ELSE more.

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

That's one of them things that I can easily see an explanation for, even though we don't get one during the episode. They referred to them as the Dalek council, so I could see them being a conglomeration of representatives from the different, currently existing enclaves of Daleks.... which we've seen over the years to NOT be of one mind. A Council perhaps convened in light of what I said earlier; the Dalek race feeling uncharacteristically vulnerable given the results of the Time War. Sure, they hate each other but they hate everyone ELSE more.
                            It was their Parliament but that's a really good point about different factions seeing as they've warred with each other as well.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                              Alan Scott is the best GL
                              • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by Mikey
                              I liked it too.

I especially loved seeing a Special Weapons Dalek from Remembrance

I also liked the surprise ending (about the girl)

The people Daleks were a pretty good idea --- as long as we see regular Daleks around too.

My only complaint was the story was a little confusing and hard to follow.
                              Not sure if i'm just getting old and fickle minded.

Seem to be too many things happening at once -- which is typical for any Moffat era story.

I give it a 5 out of 10 ..... which is not bad
                              On future viewing look carefully at the daleks who survived the Dr one of them you see from the back has the round lights like classic series daleks I need to watch that part again to see if they are modern rtd era body or classic style body

I also saw one with the machine gun attachment of death to the daleks I loving it

people daleks - eh but it does seem a natural extension from the Dalek clones of the classic series (see resurection of the daleks) and robomen (dalek invasion of earth) and the assasin robot Doctor from the chase
                              Last edited by jds1911a1; Sep 4, '12, 9:30 AM.

Comment

• Mikey
                                Verbose Member
                                • Aug 9, 2001

I also forgot to mention I like what they did with the intro.

It looks way better for this season

FF to 5:50

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

m

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎