Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marvelmania
    A Ray of Sunshine
    • Jun 17, 2001

While they're not toys when I think of 70's toys I think of 7-11 Superhero slurpee cups.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

Megos...Especially the TV ones...Eagle Eye Gi Joe,Bulletman,Big Jim,Evel Knievel,SMDM, Racing Cars sets...Donny and Marie dolls, Supersize Barbie,and The Barbie that tanned..lol! Star Wars!!

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
        Pat Troughton in disguise
        • Nov 21, 2007

Shrinky Dinks - Make your own character keychains and necklaces for Mom
        This was more fun when you found out that you could make your own for free by using crisp (chips?) packets...there was even a craze at school for shrunken crisp packets....bit like the "Tomorrow People" story about the "red and the green" except it was cheese and onion or salt and viniger...
        ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• z3zep
          The Girl Next Door
          • Sep 30, 2006

As a girl -- I think Dawn Dolls were the rage in the 70s -- I had a bunch and even though the scale was off, they dated my mego Superman, Batman and Aquaman.

Somehow I never even heard of Dinah-mite as a youngster - I learned about her here at the MM.

Dawn Dolls
          Megos - WGSH, POTA
          SMDM/Bonic Woman
          Evel Knievel with stuntcycle
          Stretch Armstrong

Playsets for action figures
          Colorforms
          lite-bright
          Green Plastic Army Men
          Board Games

Big Wheel
          Skateboards
          Atari

Comment

• MegoNinja
            Career Member
            • Feb 7, 2007

Originally posted by Tim Arnold
            While they're not toys when I think of 70's toys I think of 7-11 Superhero slurpee cups.
            Yes the 7-11 cups are great, any thing promotional actually, like cups with Hulk's big ugly head on them, I don't have them any more but I remember having a Hulk promotional Mug.

Isn't Atari an 80's thing? My Atari box says (c)1982 and my pacman cartridge says (c)1987. I could be wrong, I thought Atari was 70's as well but my box says different, maybe it was a later release or some thing to that effect.
            I the Monster Hero

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
              • Nov 21, 2007

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of gaming systems in the 70's
              A History of Home Video Games from Atari to Xbox, Playstation and Wii
              ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• Delusional B
                Museum Super Collector
                • Nov 14, 2007

Originally posted by MegoNinja
                Yes the 7-11 cups are great, any thing promotional actually, like cups with Hulk's big ugly head on them, I don't have them any more but I remember having a Hulk promotional Mug.

Isn't Atari an 80's thing? My Atari box says (c)1982 and my pacman cartridge says (c)1987. I could be wrong, I thought Atari was 70's as well but my box says different, maybe it was a later release or some thing to that effect.
                The Atari 2600 (then the VCS) was released in 1977. I don't think it really "found its legs" until the early eighties when Atari bought the home rights to Space Invaders. After that, Atari quickly became a household name. I definitely think of the Atari as an 80s thing even though it was released in the late 70s.
                Yesterville Toy Room

Comment

• z3zep
                  The Girl Next Door
                  • Sep 30, 2006

Originally posted by MegoNinja
                  My friend had the Atari Stunt Cycle and the Atari 2600 in the late 70s (77-78), we played that thing a lot. I guess most other people didn't get one until the early 80s and the Pac-man type games. But I definitely played Atari in the good ole 70s

I somehow think that toys, fashion etc of the ending years of a decade somehow get lumped into the new decade.

Comment

• grayhank
                    That Fisher Price Guy
                    • Feb 9, 2007

Well prior to video games there were lots of board games: Monopoly, Sorry, Masterpiece, Pay Day, Clue, etc. Many of these have been around alot longer but still hold up today.

Megos defined the 70s in my opinion. I actually hated when Star Wars figures came out because they were so small in comparison. But I love them now!

Then of course there is my personal favorite - Fisher Price Little People (but most of you knew that already I'm sure.)

Johnny West by Marx was an excellent line because of all those accessories that came with each figure.

And who could forget the Donny & Marie doll line from their variety show. Doesn't get any more 70s than that.

I also remember getting solid color plastic Walt Disney characters. They were much like green army men only larger. The were more like statues than toys, but for some reason I always seemed to have them around.
                    Scott D Thompson | Facebook

Comment

• Delusional B
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Nov 14, 2007

Originally posted by grayhank
                      I also remember getting solid color plastic Walt Disney characters. They were much like green army men only larger. The were more like statues than toys, but for some reason I always seemed to have them around.
                      Oh, wow. I remember those! I had completely forgotten about those. They were kind of like the Marx (?) solid color Marvel figures (statues). My uncle used to buy those Disney figures and give them full-color paint jobs.

Like this guy:

Marx Walt Disney 6" Green Plastic Donald Duck Figure - eBay (item 110217471452 end time Jan-29-08 18:00:00 PST)
                      Last edited by Delusional B; Jan 28, '08, 9:15 AM.
                      Yesterville Toy Room

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                        • Nov 21, 2007

Weebles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• MegoNinja
                          Career Member
                          • Feb 7, 2007

Krusher, Suckerman and Pulsar!
                          I the Monster Hero

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 1, 2005

For me the toys that really capture the essence of the 70s would be, specifically-

Mego Star Trek figures and Enterprise

Fisher Price Little People Garage playset

Weebles Haunted House Playset

24" Shogun Warriors

Silly Putty

AHI rack toys, especially the parachutist superheroes

Bulletman and Mike Powers

Celebrity dolls, like Cher, Donny & Marie, Happy Days, etc.

And of course Mego WGSH, especially Spidey & Hulk, as those were just so popular at the time.

Comment

• PCofmisfittoys
                              Banned
                              • Oct 17, 2007

mousetrap, silly putty , games of all kind

atari games

and of course later star wars

Comment

• MegoNinja
                                Career Member
                                • Feb 7, 2007

Originally posted by nvmbrsdoom5
                                For me the toys that really capture the essence of the 70s would be, specifically-

Mego Star Trek figures and Enterprise

Fisher Price Little People Garage playset

Weebles Haunted House Playset

24" Shogun Warriors

Silly Putty

AHI rack toys, especially the parachutist superheroes

Bulletman and Mike Powers

Celebrity dolls, like Cher, Donny & Marie, Happy Days, etc.

And of course Mego WGSH, especially Spidey & Hulk, as those were just so popular at the time.
                                Yeah I have the Mike Powers doll, I think that is a pretty notable 70's toy icon. I see him as sort of a prequel to SMDM, which he was, but he is really cool in his own right, even if his light up eye function is really lame.
                                Celebrity dolls have to capture the 70's if they were made in the 70's simply because they were based on popular people at that time, I would love to start collecting the Mego celebrity line's for that reason.
                                I the Monster Hero

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎