X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spyweb007
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 18, 2006

BBP's Captain Apollo figure first hand impressions

Now that Captain Apollo has finally arrived I can honestly say that I'm quite pleased with the figure, which at first prompted quite a bit of negative buzz here on the forums.
    Here is Apollo in full gear, including helmet. While the helmet is rather large, I appreciate the fact that BBP included this accessory, which could have easily been skipped to save cost. The detail is very nice on the helmet.
    apollo2_458136.jpg

With the helmet off, the figure looks even better. the head is a bit large, but not so much as too look freakish. On an unclothed figure it may look like a giant mellon, but overall it doesn't seem much worse than the CHIP's figures and I think it works.
    apollo3_55444.jpg

As far as the details go, the sculpt is pretty good and has a good resemblance to the character, and the paint is neat and clean, nothing special but sufficient. most of the figure's uniform is pretty plain and generic, but the jacket is very nice and pulls it all together so the figures overall look is more accurate than the sum of it's parts would seem.
    apollo1_23124.jpg

A more accurate gunbelt, boots and uniform top would have really put this figure over the top, but as is it represents the character and his look well and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the line. If anyone is on the fence about this line of figures, In my opinion they are well done and worthy of purchasing. While there is room for improvement, I don't feel they deserved all the initial disappointment that was displayed towards them. As an adult collector I am pleased with them, and as a kid I would have gone nuts over these back in the day.
    Last edited by Spyweb007; Aug 24, '12, 9:03 PM. Reason: spelling
  • UnderdogDJLSW
    To Fear is Not Logical...
    • Feb 17, 2008

Great review. My thoughts exactly, too. It is my 1978 kids self's dream come true.
    It's all good!

Comment

• Toy Talk
      Old and out of touch
      • Aug 7, 2009

I realize not all collectors have the same expectations. Me, I am not a perfectionist and am happy to get a quality representation of my childhood memories for around twenty bucks a figure. There have been some valid complaints in my opinion: two left legs, broken knee pins, and on and on. Production flaws aside I am really happy with the Battlestar Galactica, SMDM, Ghost Busters, Twilight Zone, Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, DC Retro, EMCE Star Trek, Lost, Dr. Who, Universal Monsters, Night of the Living Dead... I think I have made my point. Look at the multitude and variance of great toy lines released in just the last few years. So I say who cares if Steve Austin's socks are painted on, Starbuck's head circumference matches his ego, Sinestro poses like he has a slipped disc, the Ghost Buster's are as limber as the Scarecrow from Oz, and Frankenstein still suffers from rigor mortix? Bring on the toys!!!
      "Procrastination is the art of planning for tomorrow."

Comment

• torgospizza
        Theocrat of Pan Tang
        • Aug 19, 2010

I can be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to figures, but you might have sold me on this. Yeah, I wish the heads and helmets were smaller, but when will we ever get BSG figures again? I might give them a shot, eventually. Good review!

Comment

• SteveFromNJ
          • Jul 22, 2012

I'm extremely satisfied with the first four figures, and eager for more to be released.
          I still need the two Cylon variations, and I'm hoping to get those "on card" eventually.
          I'd love to see BBP release variations of both Apollo and Starbuck minus the helmet but w/ the cape, as well as the all-white uniforms.
          I'd also be cool to see 4" figures like what BBP has done with the Venture Brothers line.
          SteveFromNJ

Comment

• drogge
            Career Member
            • Jul 24, 2009

I am ok with the BSG figures thus far; ok but not thrilled. The scale is somewhat off, they are bigger than the 8 inch mego scale, more in line with the 9 inch mego produced Flash Gordon figures, in my opinion. I hope this line takes chances and gives us some unique choices. Otherwise, boredom will sit in...

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Last week I finished getting Apollo, Starbuck, and Adama. With the Cylon six pack, I have the entire line and I have to say I am pleased with the results. Great looking figures with plenty of likeness. Between this and the Six Mil line, I am about as happy as I can be in this format. This license has been made in other scales, but this is easily the best looking of all of them. Great job BBP!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎