Megos on toy hunters

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigphill
    • Apr 6, 2012

I love these shows, I think if for nothing else they are good from a historical aspect. I don't think its going to affect the market in the long run, but most collectors don't collect based on the $$$ value of the market.

Comment

• TMANSTOYS
      CALLING ALL DUKES !!
      • May 12, 2011

The toys are great !! But the shows are the death of good flea market / yard sale deals. Collector I am, but a rich one I am not.
      "JUST 2 GOOD OLE BOYS,NEVER MEANING NO HARM "

Comment

• megoat
        A Therefore Experience
        • Jun 10, 2003

Does anybody have any proof that these type of shows are actually driving prices up? In my experience, I must say, these sort of shows have actually HELPED me out. I'm an all around picker--I buy toys, records, vintage clothing and all sorts of oddball stuff-- I've been on many house calls and I can't tell you how many times the folks I've bought from have said things like "Hey, this is just like the TV show with those picker guys!". In other words, they find the whole experience sorta fun--like they're on TV, but not. They get into the negotiation aspect and best of all--THEY SELL ME THEIR STUFF.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

i just watched it for the first time. i thought the host was really annoying and the "finds" were so staged it was ridulous. a knickerbocker ringwraith in a box of happy meal toys??? come on. the worst was the comic store owner with all the vontage carded figures and rocket firing Boba and he had no idea what they were worth and had them sitting in a box ion the back room. give me a break
          it is cool seeing the vintage toys but i will not likely tune in again

Comment

• kingdom warrior
            OH JES!!
            • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by megoat
            Does anybody have any proof that these type of shows are actually driving prices up? In my experience, I must say, these sort of shows have actually HELPED me out. I'm an all around picker--I buy toys, records, vintage clothing and all sorts of oddball stuff-- I've been on many house calls and I can't tell you how many times the folks I've bought from have said things like "Hey, this is just like the TV show with those picker guys!". In other words, they find the whole experience sorta fun--like they're on TV, but not. They get into the negotiation aspect and best of all--THEY SELL ME THEIR STUFF.
            That's a Valid point you make, if anything shows like this would make people want to sell her stuff and get realistic prices......

Comment

• luey
              Treasure Hunter
              • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by megoat
              it's definitely helped me, great to bring in Pickers to the conversation and all of a sudden they know I have to make money to purchase their stuff, much easier in my opinion
              Greg Mason The Vintage Toy Picker from Knoxville, TN

Comment

• TMANSTOYS
                CALLING ALL DUKES !!
                • May 12, 2011

I don't really want to be like those guys (pickers). I am a collector and really not in the resale part of it. Those guys take advantage of people. Acting like there friendly and care for the people. All they want is there stuff at a low ball price. Then they turn around and inflate the price on what they sold it for (or what they say they can sell it for). I collect many different things from toys to automobile items. . All this reminds me of the toy collector from Toy Story II. If you are a reseller I guess that is why you are happy about these lousy, fake , staged shows.

Comment

• luey
                  Treasure Hunter
                  • Jun 17, 2001

A lot of people that know you are buying for a profit are OK with it because they don't have to do any of the work, finding buyers, listing auctions, hassle in general and love for pickers to take the stuff off their hands with one stop shopping... Plus I put most of the stuff I find in the hands of collectors, a lot here on the boards! I get a deal, the collector gets a deal, the seller makes some cash and everyone is happy... win win all the way around and some entertaining TV to boot ... all reality shows Faked and staged? Yeah more than likely, but that is Hollywood in general
                  Last edited by luey; Oct 2, '12, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• TMANSTOYS
                    CALLING ALL DUKES !!
                    • May 12, 2011

You seem very fair. But not everyone is as honest as you are. They will try to lowball the unknowing seller and then try to shaft the collector or buyer. Like the Pickers show does. The only good thing about that show is the lady that works the office. I agree with you if the buyer is happy thats good. But if he doesn't know what he has and these pickers get it for next to nothing thats what gets me ticked off. They should educate the person on the worth of the item. And then make the deal. These people are selling it for a reason and the most is they need the $$$. Why should they get ripped off and then get it plastered on TV what it was sold for. They probably would have asked for a little more for it then. Its called being honest. They shake the peoples hands and laugh with them. I bet they never even care about that person again. Well maybe .... if there is something else they want to steal ... I mean pick off them.

Comment

• luey
                      Treasure Hunter
                      • Jun 17, 2001

There has been a few times were Mike and Frank (on TV of course) have grossly under estimated the value and offered more or returned to the buyer and gave them more, a lot of the times it's a gamble too especially in the real world... There has been numerous times that I had to guess about what I think the item will bring, sometimes I hit a home run and sometimes I loose, it's all in the game... Most of the sellers have an idea what they think the items will bring and they will haggle up, sometimes the pickers walk away which happens a lot too... I hear you though, I know there are a lot of buyers/pickers out there that will rip you off in a heart beat, I have seen and heard this happen time and time again... I do always try to be fair as I can in the situation, I think that is one of the reasons I get a lot of referrals and call backs, but you are right, there are definitely some bad seeds out there... Bottom line, try and do your research before you sell to at least have a little defense... Just last week I bought a bunch of toys from a younger girl, she told me later she had googled or looked on eBay on everything that she sold me and I was right on with the values, offered her half and she was happy as a lark and I walked away with some nice stuff and a happy seller who has already had me back twice...

Comment

• TMANSTOYS
                        CALLING ALL DUKES !!
                        • May 12, 2011

Thats cool Luey.. You seem like a fair guy. I try to be very fair with everyone I deal with also. It's not all about the money with me like some people. I sell friends items on Ebay for them as a favor. I don't ask for any $$$ other then the fees. If they hand me some cash after the sales , thats fine. If they don't thats fine to. I'm not in it for $$$. Just helping a friend.

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
                          Time to feed the cat
                          • Dec 30, 2007

What gets me is how some of these people have no idea what their stuff is worth. And the stuff stored away in the storage unit was clean and dust free.

Comment

• MegoMark71
                            Permanent Member
                            • Dec 18, 2008

I still don't think the non collector is even watching these shows. The people "US" already know the values or close to it anyway. And just how many toys have any of you seen on pawn stars or any of those shows compared to the rest of the stuff we see. I'm not talking about the shows about toys. I don't see shows like toy hunter hurting us little guys who aren't buyers and pickers but just look around for stuff. We are the ones watching the shows. We are the target audience. Like luey said, if anything it helps buyers like him cause now maybe these sellers don't think that beat up box of Star Wars figures is worth a pot of gold.

Comment

• TMANSTOYS
                              CALLING ALL DUKES !!
                              • May 12, 2011

Believe me non toy buyers / collectors are watching. I have guys from work come to me and say "wow,saw that show about toys last night ' . What else is there to watch ?? Silence is golden. Example ..... When Captain America dies it was all over the news. All of the sudden my comic book shop had a line out the door to buy a copy. I had my coworkers asking me if i could get them a copy. They all thought it was going to be a high $$$ investment. They didn't even know who he was. Same does for these shows. They see it and think right away what they have is gold. These shows are the next Ebay in diguise. I'm not a high money buyer like some guys that it won't effect. I'm a low budget toy guy that likes to go to flea markets and yard sales and find a deal.

Comment

• Chris
                                Persistent Member
                                • Dec 23, 2009

You could see some of Dr MEGO's monster figures in the last episode of Toy Hunters. I do enjoy watching those toys.
                                Last edited by Chris; Oct 3, '12, 7:23 AM.
                                If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎