X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

My review of BBP's Six Million Dollar Man line. PHOTOS

It's never easy to criticize someone else's work, especially when you know they've put a lot of effort into it, but in this instance I felt I had to get the word out. The SMDM line is baffling to me because it's only three figures out and it has given us one of the best and one of the worst figures simultaneously.

Rudy Wells is an extremely well done figure, although the slightly oversized heads bring him down a notch, all three likenesses are pretty spot on. His outfit, while simple, is extremely well done. I would have liked to see a surgical mask included, but it's a minor nit.

Bigfoot is absolute perfection. The likeness here is dead on, with near perfect paint application, except mine is missing the brown paint on one foot. This kind of QC is not good. Sure, I can fix it, but the point is, I shouldn't have to. Other than that, I love the execution on this one.

That brings us to the train wreck that is Steve Austin. I'm sorry, but I thought having him in hand would make a difference in the head sculpt. It doesn't. I fail to see any resemblance to Lee Majors. I showed the figure to my wife, and she had no idea who it was supposed to be...she guessed Mel Gibson. The QC on my Steve was also the worst I've ever encountered on any figure EVER. Check out the photos below. Based on photos others have taken, the lip paint on mine is missing, similar to Bigfoot. That's two out of three figures with missing paint apps. Not a good percentage. That would prove to be the least of Steve's problems.

I couldn't get mine to stand, and he was constantly turned to his left. After undressing him I discovered why. He has an improperly inserted right knee pin, a cracked pelvis, one hip pin is painted red, while the other is not, and the inner half of the elbow pin on his bionic arm is sheared off. This is completely unnacceptable for a figure to have this many issues. I also extremely dislike the painted bare feet to indicate socks. A new foot without toes should have been used, or real socks. The solution they came up with just feels cheap and lazy.

Now, with my Steve and Bigfoot, along with a couple others here who reported backwards arms and legs, that's an alarming number of QC issues from a very small number of people. BBP better step up their game in several areas, or these three figures will be my last.

• Mego Magyar
    Permanent Member
    • Jan 17, 2011

If you got it from EE just call them and tell them that who the figure is damaged and they send a replacement, no problem. I and others have had some issues with other figures in the past and EE fixes it right away. My Steve just came yesterday and he was fine.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Wow. Sorry to hear about that. Yeah, those are some bad misses. Although I have to say I like him better without the lip paint. If you got them from Entertainment Earth, they have a great replacement policy. I would call or email them. They will take care of you. I have four Steve figures and two Big Foots to date and didn't experience any of those production issues. I'm sure BBP will want to know about this, so they can nip it in the bud. Thanks for sharing. And I'm sorry you had a bad experience with these.

Comment

• BATMAN89
        Mego obsessed!!!
        • Jul 20, 2010

You are right. All of these things are fixable, but you shouldn't have to.
        If you didn't get it from EE, just contact Bif Bang Pow. I am sure they will take care of you.
        Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
        My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• robbo1970
          • Oct 2, 2010

It is disappointing when so many us have waited literally YEARS for an 8" SMDM line.

If I can offer any positive, the custom you are making looks awesome and I would dearly like to get hold of one of those heads.

On that subject, the SMDM BBP head would make an excellent Indiana Jones.

Comment

• rche
            channeling Bob Wills
            • Mar 26, 2008

dwayne - is the screw holding the pelvis together stripped? The new bbp bodies are screwed together rather than glue, and it looks as if yours just wasn't tightened all the way. If you grab a screwdriver to tighten that up, I would suggest unscrewing the torso and unfolding the bands that are connecting the limbs and then reassembling. In my opinion, the folded bands are too tight and they damage the soft vinyl of the shoulder connectors.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by rche
              dwayne - is the screw holding the pelvis together stripped? The new bbp bodies are screwed together rather than glue, and it looks as if yours just wasn't tightened all the way. If you grab a screwdriver to tighten that up, I would suggest unscrewing the torso and unfolding the bands that are connecting the limbs and then reassembling. In my opinion, the folded bands are too tight and they damage the soft vinyl of the shoulder connectors.
              Thanks rche, I'll check him out when I get home. Even if I fix his pelvis, he knee is still totally screwed up. The pin never went through the joint all the way and it snapped. And his right arm's only hanging by half a pin at the elbow.

Maybe I'll just rip his limbs off, give him an eyepactch and some tubes up his nose, and he can be "Surgery Steve" LOL

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

I have a call in with my rep. I am sure we can get you a different Steve. Now, whether he is better, stronger, or faster than before.......

Comment

• Remco Monster
                  GLOWS in the Dark!
                  • May 3, 2006

Hey, I like the head without the lip color! I was thinking mine looked rather odd, as the lip color is kinda weird.

Got mine yesterday. The only QC problems I see on my Steve is that one of the clear legs has a bunch of air bubbles in it, which makes it look pretty crappy.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎