Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Hec, you seem to love ALL new movies so you're the opposite of me --- but still can't be trusted for an unbias opinion

There's gotta be a few movies out there you don't like

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
      i'm with you Hec, i am stoked for this movie. I have high hopes for it to be the Superman movie we all want.

the guy in the motion capture suit I think is Zod by the way
      Zod's going to be 12 feet tall?
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

who said he was 12 feet tall? i must have missed something

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
          To Fear is Not Logical...
          • Feb 17, 2008

^ The point of reference for the actor's eyes on the motion capture suit is at a high level.

As for the movie, I'll reserve judgement for when I see it. I'm one of the few who liked Superman Returns, (at least up until the last 20 minutes or so) but even though I liked it, I could see every point of the movie where they should have done "A" instead of "B", etc. This movie looks cool from the stills and the teaser, but let me see the actual movie and then decide. If it "feels" like a Superman movie to me, I don't care what his costume looks like. Same reason why I didn't totally fall in love with the new Trek movie. I like it and want to see the next one, but if I had to chose, I'd watch a TOS episode. Their heart was in the right place, but the "feel" of it was a tad off.
          It's all good!

Comment

• Operation:Mego
            I'm the Star Spangled Man
            • May 21, 2011

Originally posted by Hector
            I for one...cannot wait...I think it's going to be awesome.
            Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
            i'm with you Hec, i am stoked for this movie. I have high hopes for it to be the Superman movie we all want.
            My thoughts exactly.
            sigpic
            The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I'm patiently waiting, optimistic that the character's spirit endures.

And that it's not an hour of origin, I've seen Krypton blow up too many times in my life as it is.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• mego73
                Printed paperboard Tiger
                • Aug 1, 2003

I thought Returns was pretty good but not a movie that draws me back like Superman 78.
                Originally posted by UnderdogDJLSW
                ^ The point of reference for the actor's eyes on the motion capture suit is at a high level.

As for the movie, I'll reserve judgement for when I see it. I'm one of the few who liked Superman Returns, (at least up until the last 20 minutes or so) but even though I liked it, I could see every point of the movie where they should have done "A" instead of "B", etc. This movie looks cool from the stills and the teaser, but let me see the actual movie and then decide. If it "feels" like a Superman movie to me, I don't care what his costume looks like. Same reason why I didn't totally fall in love with the new Trek movie. I like it and want to see the next one, but if I had to chose, I'd watch a TOS episode. Their heart was in the right place, but the "feel" of it was a tad off.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
                  Hec, you seem to love ALL new movies so you're the opposite of me --- but still can't be trusted for an unbias opinion

There's gotta be a few movies out there you don't like
                  I don't like the movies you like...

sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

To completely distinguish Man of Steel from the previous films, the iconic "Superman" theme by John Williams will not be heard.
                    I have mixed feelings on that. I get why they don't want to re-use it (Like Nolan not using Elman's Batman theme, Webb with Elfman's Spidey theme, etc), but to me, you can't think "Superman" without hearing that theme.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Random Axe
                      The Voice of Reason
                      • Apr 16, 2008

^^^You can't have heroic, majestic music that matches the character in modern cinema. It's much better to have Nickelback or Kid Rock throw something down.
                      I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Originally posted by Random Axe
                        ^^^You can't have heroic, majestic music that matches the character in modern cinema. It's much better to have Nickelback or Kid Rock throw something down.
                        I get that it's halfway sarcastic, but yes you can. Just listen to Thor, Captain America and The Avengers: all are heroic, and majestic as well as being epic and exciting. Leave the rocking score for Iron Man.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Random Axe
                          The Voice of Reason
                          • Apr 16, 2008

I'm totally open to giving this film a chance, but all indications are train wreck. What I meant from the above is we used to identify certain characters and movies with the distinctive theme song. That practice is dead. I didn't notice a single musical note in the marvel films. We had the Superman theme, Indy's March, Conan, Jaws and my favorite Empire's March. Those films lose major mojo without the musical numbers attached. I knew we wouldn't get the Williams piece in this, but I'm hopeful they place some kind of priority on writing an equally impressive theme song relative to the most recognized character on earth.

The theme song for the scene in Supes 78 where he first appears and catches Lois and the helecopter is total goosebumps to this day no matter how many times you watch. That kind of moment hasn't been recreated in 30 plus years of film.
                          I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                            The DarkSide Customizer
                            • Apr 16, 2005

^^^ I thought Routh's Airplane landing Scene in the BallPark Destroyed anything in Any Superman Movie Prior ....., But the rest of the Movie was worse that Any Other Superman Movie Ever.
                            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• jds1911a1
                              Alan Scott is the best GL
                              • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by Random Axe
                              I'm totally open to giving this film a chance, but all indications are train wreck. What I meant from the above is we used to identify certain characters and movies with the distinctive theme song. That practice is dead. I didn't notice a single musical note in the marvel films. We had the Superman theme, Indy's March, Conan, Jaws and my favorite Empire's March. Those films lose major mojo without the musical numbers attached. I knew we wouldn't get the Williams piece in this, but I'm hopeful they place some kind of priority on writing an equally impressive theme song relative to the most recognized character on earth.

The theme song for the scene in Supes 78 where he first appears and catches Lois and the helecopter is total goosebumps to this day no matter how many times you watch. That kind of moment hasn't been recreated in 30 plus years of film.
                              Can't agree more. I was flicking through last night and Encore action was playing superman 1. I came in right there and sat down for the rest of the film with my wife and kids. all of us were glued despite the fact we watched the Superman 2 about a week ago on the same channel and S3 and 4 for a bit last weekend (btw the color of evil superman;s suit is almost identical to the superman returns suit colors coincidence or prophetic I can't decide).
                              Superman the Movie is still the high watermark for hero films to me. I've seen it more times than I can count, I know how the effects were done and still I can watch it and be completely involved seeing Chris flying with the sunrise behind at the end still gets me

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

They can add all the disruption waves, rubbery CGI models, etc, but nothing conveys flight like Reeve in that harness. The man knew how to move in that thing. As others on the set said, he was their greatest special effect.

What I meant from the above is we used to identify certain characters and movies with the distinctive theme song. That practice is dead.
                                I would agree it's mostly dead. Alan Silvestri managed to create a memorable theme for Captain America, and even used it in the Avengers in key places. But the rest of the Marvel heroes have been lacking this. Maybe it's Cap's old fashioned nature that made this fit to the studio folks?

Hans Zimmer gave Batman that cool "Molossus" theme that slowly builds into that pounding theme when Bale is in the suit on screen. But these are the exceptions to the new rule, unfortunately.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎