X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by MIB41
    Exactly. B-Lister must be watching some crappy VHS or age old DVD copies. And the tag line "You'll believe a man can fly" were for audiences of that day. That's an odd criticism of his, since no one should expect a 35 year old marketing campaign to be relevant today. I guess I should call Universal Studios bogus since I didn't require an ambulance after watching Frankenstein made in 1931. Art Linkletter was right. Kids say the damnedest things.
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

My criticism of the tag line was in response to others stating that it made them believe. And please understand that my criticisms are all my opinion (and all in good fun. I am not trying to pee in anybody's cornflakes). I am a kid compared to most. I was an 80s kid.

And yes, my copies of S:TM and S2 were VHS. And while I understand they updated the effect, it was still what we saw the majority of our lives having been changed only recently.
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• mego73
        Printed paperboard Tiger
        • Aug 1, 2003

I dig the first Batman a lot too.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• mego73
          Printed paperboard Tiger
          • Aug 1, 2003

It has to be emphasized in this day and age that up until Superman 78, scenes with people flying in TV and movies were not much more advanced than it was on the 50's/60's Superman series. Static side views with matted or traveling scenery. They spent so much time and money on perfecting more dynamic and fluid flying scenes for the first movie that the rest of the movie's effects arguably suffered (like when Superman saves Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, as I call it). Like was said before the blue screen was also a problem since Superman had to wear the blue suit. The blue screen Superman suit was made in teal and it was hoped that they could color correct the suit back to blue and it partially worked. But most of the flying work was done with wires on the scene (and usually ended up having to be matted or painted out) and the front projection that had the background plate and the camera lens synched for zooming and other movement. So, for Superman rushing the camera, Chris Reeve would by hung on a support in front of the screen with the camera all the way back and the background large. The camera would move in and the size if the projected background would also shrink so it would look the same in camera, but Chris Reeve looks like he is flying forward.

Originally posted by MIB41
          Exactly. B-Lister must be watching some crappy VHS or age old DVD copies. And the tag line "You'll believe a man can fly" were for audiences of that day. That's an odd criticism of his, since no one should expect a 35 year old marketing campaign to be relevant today. I guess I should call Universal Studios bogus since I didn't require an ambulance after watching Frankenstein made in 1931. Art Linkletter was right. Kids say the damnedest things.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• B-Lister
            Eccentric Weirdo
            • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by mego73
            I dig the first Batman a lot too.
            It has special significance to me that I will not relate here, but if you find me at a show, and ask me, I will be happy to discuss it.
            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

The first Burton Batman movie is dire, in my opinion. I'd anticipated that movie for so long, and had such high hopes for it, and I so wanted it to be great. But when I saw it on opening weekend it was a colossal disappointment.
              Bad casting, a director who had absolutely no knowledge of nor affinity for the source material, and only the highly impressive production design saved that film.

The first Donner Superman was infinitely superior, IMO.

But yes, as you say, it's all down to personal tastes, and if the Donner Superman seems dated or underwhelming to you, then you're certainly entitled to your opinion. But I certainly don't share it in this instance.

But after all, if everybody liked the same thing, the world would be a boring place.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

I think its worth noting so many movies released to video in the 80's and 90's never got the respect in transfer they deserved. And to some degree, that explains why folks of later generations have only those copies to reference and judge the content. It's further hampered by the fact most films were not given wide screen presentations, so the God awful 'pan and scan' technique added even more negative connotation to the final product. Thankfully today's kids have the benefit of watching clean and restored versions that show most films in their proper presentation. Not all, but many.

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

^YES! I've also hear lots of complaints regarding how bad and cheesy the FX look on some older TV shows like SMDM, the Hulk, Star Trek, etc.
                  People have to remember, there was NO home video market when these shows were created. They were meant to be seen once and that's it. The FX were as good as they needed to be for a grainy 19" (probably) black & white television.
                  The fact that we can watch them now in HD on a 52" screen means you're gonna see the Hulk's green slippers, or the bad edges on Mr. Spock's ears...it's all part of the charm.

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by enyawd72
                    ^YES! I've also hear lots of complaints regarding how bad and cheesy the FX look on some older TV shows like SMDM, the Hulk, Star Trek, etc.
                    People have to remember, there was NO home video market when these shows were created. They were meant to be seen once and that's it. The FX were as good as they needed to be for a grainy 19" (probably) black & white television.
                    The fact that we can watch them now in HD on a 52" screen means you're gonna see the Hulk's green slippers, or the bad edges on Mr. Spock's ears...it's all part of the charm.
                    Well said. Being a fan of effects films and television shows since the 60's, I like to think I've developed a pretty good understanding for what merits criticism on the visual side versus what was available during that period in question. So if I watch the 1933 Kong, I can see why it was a classic for it's day rather than comparing it with Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer made in the 60's and suggesting the film is now garbage because of that. Film making is a constantly evolving art from. So, along the way, there are certain films we can point to which take that "next step" in improving the viewing experience. Superman the Movie was one of them. And much of how that film was constructed and presented (top brass actors, reputable director, and in demand composer) are now the standard for these types of films. So it's legacy is well deserved and mimicked often. Whether those films should be in everyone's personal top ten is absurd. But to me, respecting what they did for the art form should be recognized. Because without those films, we wouldn't be where we are today. Today's artists and directors are standing on the shoulders of those who came before them. I love the history of my hobbies. In my eyes, you can't fully appreciate something unless you know where it came from.
                    Last edited by MIB41; Jun 12, '13, 9:28 AM.

Comment

• B-Lister
                      Eccentric Weirdo
                      • Mar 19, 2010

I am not saying the Donner Superman is bad due to the effects. I am saying the setting and tone were dated by the time I saw it, and due to that, I was too late to love it the way all of you do.

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Batman 89 is fine if you like your Batman puny sized and your Joker chunky and middle aged...

image.jpg

Not only does the Joker towers over little Batman, but compare their shoulders and upper arms, Barbie has bigger arms than this Batman, lol.

And don't even get me started on Prince's songs either, which was advertised over Danny Elfman's.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Mego Milk
                          Custom Mego Maker
                          • Jun 3, 2007

You wouldn't hit a man with glasses, would ya?

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

This town needs an enema!

Comment

• B-Lister
                              Eccentric Weirdo
                              • Mar 19, 2010

Winged freak terrorizes..........

And with all its flaws, I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Art: we missed you at the meet. Hope all of your projects are doing well! Look forward to seeing you again!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎